What's new

Turn n Shave Shoat Knot

@Adjustingtolife Tough call. TnS has a full gel, no gel, and half. I got the half. With my prep as described, it was ready to use and lather after 4 uses and dry downs. I think anyone can do that.

The great thing about this knot is you can put in a custom handle, which is what I was wanting. Is a Zenith better? I don't know right now. The Z is certainly easier in that you can just buy it off 'the shelf'. Zenith boars are known for being soft and ready to use out of the box compared to other boars. Also a tiny bit pricier I think than other boars.

Part of my opinion, however, is my Zenith is now about a year old. I don't want to compare a more broken in boar with one only lightly broken in. Both are soft and enjoyable. Now, if I had to recommend a first boar brush, I would recommend the Zenith, but that's just because it's a known name brand and there's a history of excellent performance.

Is the TnS knot at that level (was the TnS Shoat in one month similar to the Zenith after one month)? I honestly cannot say. I want to say yes, but I can't be objective (as much as talking about liking something can ever be objective). Compared to my Zenith now, do I think the TnS can be this soft and enjoyable? Absolutely. In all fairness, the one-year-ish Z is better than the one-month-ish TnS. But that's the apple and oranges thing.

Do I think a person who wants a boar brush would like and enjoy the TnS? Absolutely. I would definitely buy this knot again at this point and not hesitate to do so. Same for a Zenith though. I think I might be saying that neither is better than the other.

@Adjustingtolife Tough call. TnS has a full gel, no gel, and half. I got the half. With my prep as described, it was ready to use and lather after 4 uses and dry downs. I think anyone can do that.

The great thing about this knot is you can put in a custom handle, which is what I was wanting. Is a Zenith better? I don't know right now. The Z is certainly easier in that you can just buy it off 'the shelf'. Zenith boars are known for being soft and ready to use out of the box compared to other boars. Also a tiny bit pricier I think than other boars.

Part of my opinion, however, is my Zenith is now about a year old. I don't want to compare a more broken in boar with one only lightly broken in. Both are soft and enjoyable. Now, if I had to recommend a first boar brush, I would recommend the Zenith, but that's just because it's a known name brand and there's a history of excellent performance.

Is the TnS knot at that level (was the TnS Shoat in one month similar to the Zenith after one month)? I honestly cannot say. I want to say yes, but I can't be objective (as much as talking about liking something can ever be objective). Compared to my Zenith now, do I think the TnS can be this soft and enjoyable? Absolutely. In all fairness, the one-year-ish Z is better than the one-month-ish TnS. But that's the apple and oranges thing.

Do I think a person who wants a boar brush would like and enjoy the TnS? Absolutely. I would definitely buy this knot again at this point and not hesitate to do so. Same for a Zenith though. I think I might be saying that neither is better than the other.
I just ordered a tns one :) thank you

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Just knotted my full gel shoat in my PAA ferrule (I polished it). Set it at 15mm deep as recommended by Milton, cant wait to break it in and use it.
proxy.php

- Fayiz D.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
First pic is after curing and second is lathering up a soap i use to break in knots. The first time this was put on my face it felt very soft and luxurious relative to the omega 10049 boar I have. It did need more product but it lathered up very nicely.
proxy.php
proxy.php

- Fayiz D.
Looks amazing!
Also has the original vintage look
I should that! Do you mind sharing how you set the knot how did you measure and did you use silicone?😁

Looks amazing!
Also has the original vintage look
I should that! Do you mind sharing how you set the knot how did you measure and did you use silicone?[emoji16]
I used a blank/empty PAA ferrule and I basically just used a jb weld epoxy with the supplied ez mixer and set the knot at 15mm deep as Milton from Turn n shave recommended. I measured using my digital calipers
proxy.php

- Fayiz D.

I love my shoat knot, it's got about 20 odd uses and I set it into a Chisel and Hound handle. It's fully gelled and very pleasant to use. I admit, at first it really ate soap quickly, but now it seems to work pretty normally.
20210927_220103.jpg

Last edited:
I love my shoat knot, it's got about 20 odd uses and I set it into a Chisel and Hound handle. It's fully gelled and very pleasant to use. I admit, at first it really ate soap quickly, but now it seems to work pretty normally.
View attachment 1340106
Thanks for that. $30USD is a little steep for a boar knot, but the shipping cost to Canada at Etsy shows $51USD. I've reached out to Milton to see if that's accurate.

I received my tns shoat knot today in the ungelled choice. I had a handle waiting for it but I got impatient and put a different knot in that handle so will now have to figure out a handle solution for this knot. Here's how it looks out of the box.
Imagepipe_35.jpg
Here it is with two Zenith knots, one bleached and one unbleached:
Imagepipe_37.jpg
And here it is beside an Omega Pro '49:
Imagepipe_38.jpg
Looking forward to Decemboar.

I sorted out the shipping to Canada and have an unbleached shoat on the way. Fully intended to try the gel, but in the end I balked.

I received my tns shoat knot today in the ungelled choice. I had a handle waiting for it but I got impatient and put a different knot in that handle so will now have to figure out a handle solution for this knot. Here's how it looks out of the box. View attachment 1352957Here it is with two Zenith knots, one bleached and one unbleached: View attachment 1352958And here it is beside an Omega Pro '49: View attachment 1352959Looking forward to Decemboar.
You stated you ordered an unbleached shoat knot. I especially like unbleached knots. Do you know are all of Milton's shoat knots unbleached, or are you specifying when you order? Or are you referring to unbleached as a shoat knot that is not treated for gelling?

Your picture showing the shoat knot between your two Zenith brushes, what Zenith brush did the unbleached knot on the right come out of? Did it come from the Zenith white plastic-handled unbleached brush, chrome unbleached brush, or olive-wood unbleached brush? May I ask what is the approximate loft of the unbleached Zenith on the right in your picture? And finally, may I ask what sized shoat knot you purchased & the overall height of the shoat knot? I really like the handle you put the unbleached Zenith into, it looks great!

Thank you for your time.

Top Bottom