What's new

Turn n Shave Shoat Knot

I wanted to share my early experiences with this knot in case others may find it useful. I will be updating this from time to time as the knot breaks in. For this first post, though, it will be my first week with the knot. Off we go (from my notes).

I wanted to put a boar knot in a custom handle. I decided on the Turn n Shave 26 mm shoat knot. You can get it untreated, half-gel, or full gel. I got the half gel. All 26mm options were $24 for the knot ($29 for 28mm).

What’s shoat hair? From internet searches, I think it might be the hair from a younger boar. It also might be a sheep-goat hybrid (that makes more sense just going by the spelling, but I am more on the side of this being a young boar in the end). Who knows.

I siliconed it into a custom Rudy Vey handle. Depth of 15 mm, opening of 1 and 1/8 inch (as suggested by TnS). I did the 3-day boar treatment with cold water and placed it in my garage. It was cold in there (January in Virginia gets cold enough), but certainly no refrigerator. Took the brush out every 24 hours. Drained the water and got more. Whipped the brush on a towel for about 10 minutes (some say you are supposed to go for 30 minutes, but I am not that person). Same routine for 3 days. The knot shed a number of hairs each time. Looked like a normal amount to me.

1/27 Day One
I have one other boar, a Zenith, to which I can compare. It had less backbone on this use than the Zenith. The Zenith was pretty much ready right out of the box. The hairs on this knot still felt ‘thick’ and too scratchy. Despite the description on the website, this knot did not feel particularly dense (my Zenith feels more dense). I was surprised by this, but I can roll with it. Perhaps when these hairs get wet, they get soft because they have not split yet and filled out? So after 10-30 shaves, the hairs might indeed split and bloom into something wonderful. It’s not wonderful yet. So, it’s a boar. Perhaps a full gel might be softer or more ready to go?

Also, I had a pretty difficult time getting a good lather. This was something new for me, but it’s also a pretty average new boar problem. And it shed only two hairs.

Day Three
Second use. I decided to not shave with the knot today, but I still built a lather to help break in the brush. And yes, I face-lathered it too. It only shed one hair. But it felt just like the first shave, and I still had some trouble lathering. I have decided to just use this brush every other day so it dries out completely and I will just use it to break in. Is that stupid and a waste of soap? That sounds like me. After the lathering, it did vigorously dry it on my towel for about 2 minutes.

Day Five
Third use. Same feel. Same trouble lathering. Same towel drying. This will take some time. Lost two hairs.

Day Eight
I skipped a day. Now we are talking. Lost one hair. But BAM the lather is here! Felt much softer on the face too. I kinda sorta still feel a stray ‘thick’ hair, but I kind of don’t as well. Not as soft as the Zenith but we are moving in the right direction. Perhaps I was wrong about it taking a long time? It felt like a good but not great brush today. I am very happy. The knot is coming into its own and showing its potential. Same towel drying. I also used the lather today to shave with since it developed so nicely.

So, that's about a week with the shoat. After eight days (not of constant use), it feels ready to be in the rotation. But we'll see. Thanks for reading!

mrlandpirate

Got lucky with dead badgers
These are the FAN Shoat knots. They are the densest and highest quality of boar knots I’ve found. They are available with gel tips or untreated.

from T&S on Etsy

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Great review thanks for the write up I’m thinking about one of these.
What is the difference between gel (partial gel) and untreated?
Not only did we learn a new word: shoat. But gel? 🧐

It's a process undergone by the bristles. A chemical process of I'm not mistaken (which I might be) that causes the tips to soften considerably. It was all the rage some years ago.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
It's a process undergone by the bristles. A chemical process of I'm not mistaken (which I might be) that causes the tips to soften considerably. It was all the rage some years ago.
I have tried only one gel knot, a 28mm Paladin and I did not like it at all. It was undoubtedly a top quality brush but gel knots are simply so soft for me. It was like lathering with a single huge very soft, but at the same time, excruciatingly dull marshmallow; there was no scrub at all. Sadly gel knots seem to be all the rage and I am grateful that Simpson and Semogue have so far not followed that trend. Gel tips are bleached, acid dipped, or otherwise chemically treated and the result is unnatural and to me at least very unpleasant, but many people seem to love them. I would not try a brush from another maker without assurances the knot was not gelled, and I was not aware that boar bristles were also being treated in this way.

I have tried only one gel knot, a 28mm Paladin and I did not like it at all. It was undoubtedly a top quality brush but gel knots are simply so soft for me. It was like lathering with a single huge very soft, but at the same time, excruciatingly dull marshmallow; there was no scrub at all. Sadly gel knots seem to be all the rage and I am grateful that Simpson and Semogue have so far not followed that trend. Gel tips are bleached, acid dipped, or otherwise chemically treated and the result is unnatural and to me at least very unpleasant, but many people seem to love them. I would not try a brush from another maker without assurances the knot was not gelled, and I was not aware that boar bristles were also being treated in this way.
Thank you for the information. I don't like gel tips either. Only used one once (wasn't mine) and it felt slimy and, as you implied, you can no longer feel individual hairs. It's like brushing with a slimy sponge or slimy piece of styrofoam. Tons of guys like them, though.

Boar gel tips are obtained treating the tips with peroxide. It's the same treatment used by the Chinese to make their average two-band badger feel "more luxurious". It's a very easy and cheap DIY project if you want to try it at home. Ask wifey, maybe she already has everything you need.
Definitely not recommended.

Last edited:
20210201_115517.jpg

I made a brush using the knot your talking about, 100% gelled. I wrote a review about it some place. Interesting knot.

I've read about gelling badgers and how they get hooked tips. If that's the thing, this knot is definitely not gelled like a badger. I know that some boars are bleached, and I think my Zenith is. Is that the same thing as gelling with peroxide? So, gelling badgers vs boars might result in an apples-oranges comparison. But I'm no expert. I will continue to share how it feels in my face and lathers, though. So far, so good.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Boar gel tips are obtained treating the tips with peroxide. It's the same treatment used by the Chinese to make their average two-band badger feel "more luxurious". It's a very easy and cheap DIY project if you want to try it at home. Ask wifey, maybe she already has everything you need.
Definitely not recommended.
Thx but Iam not qualified to do anything like. That lol.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I've read about gelling badgers and how they get hooked tips. If that's the thing, this knot is definitely not gelled like a badger. I know that some boars are bleached, and I think my Zenith is. Is that the same thing as gelling with peroxide? So, gelling badgers vs boars might result in an apples-oranges comparison. But I'm no expert. I will continue to share how it feels in my face and lathers, though. So far, so good.
I was reading t&s site he says break in period for these is 20-25 uses
I might write and ask about half or full gel treatment

I was reading t&s site he says break in period for these is 20-25 uses
I might write and ask about half or full gel treatment
Great idea. Go to the source :). I am really, really excited about this knot and its development (I mean, that's the main point of boars, right?). For comparison purposes, here is a photo of the Shoat (left) and Zenith (right) tonight.
boars.jpeg

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Just remembered I have a zenith I bought from the doctor. I’ve got to dig it out and get it going I’m trying to not buy anything this month.

The knot on the right is the Turn and Shave knot. The other is a a nicely broken in large Omega knot. The dry Turn and Shave reminds me of a Loofah sponge in texture and feel.
Initially, with the first wetting the knot felt very slimy, we're talking Northern Pike slimy. I could not get the knot to pick up enough soap to make a lather. Not knowing what to do I washed it in Dawn and let it soak overnight in a glass of water. The following morning I tried it again with no luck. I then tried it with some MdC and it slowly built a good lather. Eyeballing the Williams I tried it and it worked well along with some SV and Mike's . I really can't explain why the brush started making lather but it now works like a champ. I'll state the obvious, it appears to be hard on the bristles they have a almost crispy feel to them dry. How long will it last who knows but I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy it. There were alot of bristle tips on the towel and the knot shed quite a bit but has settled down. I look forward to using it again.
20210205_121843.jpg

Used the brush today. Just a great boar knot. I know 'gel tips' may have a certain stereotype with badgers. I can only speak to my half-gel. But this boar feels great now when face lathering. It makes me so happy to find a quality boar that I can put into a handle of my choosing. Thanks Milton and Turn n Shave!

Top Bottom