What's new

Tulip 2 or 3 for Face Lathering?

I'm looking at a buying either a Tulip 2 or Tulip 3 in Super for face lathering. I was wondering what the flow through and experience is like compared to the Duke 2 or Duke 3 in Best?

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
I have two T3s, one with a Manchurian fan (but close to hybrid) and the other with a Super Badger semi-bulb (both dating to 2012-2013). They're both terrific brushes. The one with a Manchurian knot (and Butterscotch handle) is one of my all-time favorites. The Super Badger T3 (Ivory handle) hasn't seen much use, but that doesn't reflect on the brush at all. I just prefer the other T3 and a Butterscotch M7 I have that is also set with a Super Badger knot.

I have a Manchurian Duke 3 (horn) that I got from Mark Watterson in a trade for one of our brushes. I love but haven't used it much either for the same reasons, i.e., preference for the Butterscotch T3 and M7.

For myself, I wouldn't want anything smaller than the T3 or the Duke 3. But that's just personal preference.

I face lather almost exclusively.

The Tulip 3 Super is one of the best brushes I own. Maybe my favourite.

I only face lather and have a ton of brushes, but the T3 is a perfect brush. I don’t own a Duke but I have a few M7’s and the have very similar knots.

I own both the Tulip 2 and 3 in Super 3 band. The size of the knots are pretty similar in size honestly. The real difference between the two is the size of the handle IMHO. I prefer the 2 because the handle on the 3 borders on too chunky for me. In fact I had a 4 (and the knot on that one wasn't much bigger), but the handle was just too big for it's own good. I sold the 4.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

I have two T3s, one with a Manchurian fan (but close to hybrid) and the other with a Super Badger semi-bulb (both dating to 2012-2013). They're both terrific brushes. The one with a Manchurian knot (and Butterscotch handle) is one of my all-time favorites. The Super Badger T3 (Ivory handle) hasn't seen much use, but that doesn't reflect on the brush at all. I just prefer the other T3 and a Butterscotch M7 I have that is also set with a Super Badger knot.

I have a Manchurian Duke 3 (horn) that I got from Mark Watterson in a trade for one of our brushes. I love but haven't used it much either for the same reasons, i.e., preference for the Butterscotch T3 and M7.

For myself, I wouldn't want anything smaller than the T3 or the Duke 3. But that's just personal preference.

I face lather almost exclusively.

Thanks for putting them in perspective. Was 2012 - 2013 an especially good year for super?

The Tulip 3 Super is one of the best brushes I own. Maybe my favourite.

I only face lather and have a ton of brushes, but the T3 is a perfect brush. I don’t own a Duke but I have a few M7’s and the have very similar knots.

Good to know! I find it a little challenging to picture how the brush will perform on the specs alone.

I own both the Tulip 2 and 3 in Super 3 band. The size of the knots are pretty similar in size honestly. The real difference between the two is the size of the handle IMHO. I prefer the 2 because the handle on the 3 borders on too chunky for me. In fact I had a 4 (and the knot on that one wasn't much bigger), but the handle was just too big for it's own good. I sold the 4.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

The specs on the T4 seemed really big to me.

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
Thanks for putting them in perspective. Was 2012 - 2013 an especially good year for super?

2011-2103 were, IMO, very good years more broadly (also for Rooney and M&F). That doesn't have anything to do with commitment to quality. The hair that was available then just seems (perhaps in the nostalgic glow of hindsight) special. But it's not just me who thinks that. I have quite a few brushes from that period. I haven't parted with any of them with the exception of one M&F with an old Rooney Finest knot that I traded to a collector for a similar M&F with an old Rooney Finest knot. I was on the better end of that trade, but I had something the other guy didn't have and I ended up with something he had doubled up on.

Good to know! I find it a little challenging to picture how the brush will perform on the specs alone.

It's very hard for me too. There is no substitute for taking a brush in hand.

BTW, Jut's post reminded me that I also have a T2 with a Super Badger knot. I'm pretty sure it was my first Tulip. We moved last year (actually, the move straddled two years), and I haven't unpacked it yet. It was/is also a very sweet brush, but I don't remember it clearly. I never had the discipline to maintain commitment to a rotation. Whatever I might have had a plan to use was always trumped by what my hand (seemingly of its independent will) reached for. So the same stuff got used over and over, including the Butterscotch Manchurian T3 and Super Badger M7. Just about everything else saw use in my hands maybe 2-3 times. But I could never bring myself to part with any brushes. And I'm glad I didn't.

I only had a synthetic Duke 3 for a short time and didn't like it so it’s probably not a good comparison. I really enjoy my T3 Super for face lathering though. Super soft right out the gates, builds lather quickly, and doesn’t hog lather. It does feel on the bigger side though compared to some of my other 24mm knots, and as expected, lacks the backbone of a similar sized knot in 2-band.

I do have a duke 2 handle that i havent reknotted yet, but for me, the T3 handle wins without question.

I never had the discipline to maintain commitment to a rotation. Whatever I might have had a plan to use was always trumped by what my hand (seemingly of its independent will) reached for. So the same stuff got used over and over, including the Butterscotch Manchurian T3 and Super Badger M7. Just about everything else saw use in my hands maybe 2-3 times. But I could never bring myself to part with any brushes. And I'm glad I didn't.

I think I need to commit to using the same brushes for a while, but I really enjoy mixing it up too. I think I will end up having a small group of brushes that are well-used and the rest will go into the closet. If we had perfect information we could zero in on our favorites right away without having to feel it out by trial and error. Like you said, there is no substitute for having the brush in hand.

I only had a synthetic Duke 3 for a short time and didn't like it so it’s probably not a good comparison. I really enjoy my T3 Super for face lathering though. Super soft right out the gates, builds lather quickly, and doesn’t hog lather. It does feel on the bigger side though compared to some of my other 24mm knots, and as expected, lacks the backbone of a similar sized knot in 2-band.

I do have a duke 2 handle that i havent reknotted yet, but for me, the T3 handle wins without question.

The Tulip handle seems to be one of the favorites in the Simpsons line. The T3 super sounds like a nice balance between softness and flow.

What happened to your Duke 2?

The specs on the T4 seemed really big to me.
The T4 isn’t worth the extra $$$. I have never owned one but I have seen one side by side with a T3 and it is just slightly bigger.

In any case, this might be the cheapest the T3 ever is and they sell out quick...

Send it back if you don’t like it.

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
I think I need to commit to using the same brushes for a while, but I really enjoy mixing it up too. I think I will end up having a small group of brushes that are well-used and the rest will go into the closet. If we had perfect information we could zero in on our favorites right away without having to feel it out by trial and error. Like you said, there is no substitute for having the brush in hand.

Yes, but it doesn't work that way for most of us. I'm a bit OCD. When I fell through the rabbit hole, I fell hard. Bought about 30 high end brushes (when the getting was good) within about 3 months. I wasn't collecting, though; I was figuring it out for myself, and that's what it took. For me, it doesn't work to analyze in order to decided what I'll like. I generally need to figure out what I like and then analyze what I like about it and why.

And I completely agree with regard to variety. I'm not always in the mood for the same brush.

The T4 isn’t worth the extra $$$. I have never owned one but I have seen one side by side with a T3 and it is just slightly bigger.

In any case, this might be the cheapest the T3 ever is and they sell out quick...

Send it back if you don’t like it.

I have one on the way.

I have a T2 and a T3 in super! Both are great for face-lathering! If forced to chose, I would likely pick the T2 as the handle is a bit more comfortable, but the difference is very small.

In other words, ‘Get BOTH!’ :a29: :a29:

I have a T2 and a T3 in super! Both are great for face-lathering! If forced to chose, I would likely pick the T2 as the handle is a bit more comfortable, but the difference is very small.

In other words, ‘Get BOTH!’ :a29: :a29:

I have the T3 on the way and when I find a good sale on a T2 I think I might end up with both!

Top Bottom