What's new

Tuggy kure nai

So, my Kure Nai works perfectly WTG but it's a bit tuggy XTG.

I honed this up starting on a BBW, then coti thick, mild, milder, mildest slurry then water. After this I stropped on a (red) diamond pasted leather strop, followed by 30 minute stroping on a leather strop.

Could it be that the coti edge isn't sharp enough? Would it be a good idea to invest in a Pierre Lalune finishing stone (10k to 12k) or a Naniwa 12k. Or am I just worth less at honing. 😎

The thing shaves armhair without a problem and passed HTH.

I'd drop about 29 minutes, 15 seconds off your stropping routine as well. 30-40 passes is all you need.
Haha, I usually do 30-40-ish passes on a hanging strop. This 30 minute was on a leather paddle strop that's only 4 cm wide. It's this one:

Screenshot_20230204_154327.jpg

I find it extremely difficult to strop on, so I was practicing. I think I got the hang of it eventually. Was also killing time, the missus fell asleep on the couch. Finally some Q-time with the razor collection. 😅

When you're saying the bevel needs attention, you mean I'd have to dull it on a glass bottle and start over? Will a bbw be coarse enough to set the bevel (it's estimated grit is 4000)? I dont have anything lower.

Since you were practicing your stropping I sounds like your not as comfortable with technique on the paddle strop so you may have done more to damage the edge than improve it.
Stropping is hard! There have been many times where my edge has gone backwards after stropping compared to right off my finishing stone/film. I find I have to strop slowly and concentrate to get a good result.

If the bevel is good (prob the first thing to sort through imo), more time on the coticule with just water is something to consider as well. Start with pressure, feel things out and gradually decrease pressure. They're tricky with slurry and, at least mine is SUPER slow with just water on its refinement after using slurry. Granted, your stone isn't mine. Just an idea here.

But check that bevel.

Legion

Staff member
All you need is one bad stroke on a strop to dull an edge. If I was to sit there stropping for half an hour I very much doubt I could do it without at least ONE bum stroke. You might have caused the issue there.

Thanks guys, it sounds very plausibele that I ruined the edge during my marathon strop.

Coming from the DE side of things I did sneak in a purchase of a black shadow stone.
It's interesting to see how you SR guys seem more conservative regarding extra purchases. DE shavers seem to buy a new razor or attributes every time the sun sets.... 😅

I bought it because I noticed the edge on razors I bought from a fellow b&b members Etsy store seem to be alot crisper than my Coticule edges. He finishes on 12k naniwa, but I am more attracted to natural stones myself. The black shadow should be equivalent to 12k to 15k,I'm guessing it should be a good finisher. And, because it was pretty cheap (compared to the Lalune stone I actually wanted or even compared to a Coti) I went for the 200x80mm stone. I have a rather slim Coti, which I find annoying as it forces me to do x-strokes. The extra width of the slate will be a welcome change.

So, my Kure Nai works perfectly WTG but it's a bit tuggy XTG.

I honed this up starting on a BBW, then coti thick, mild, milder, mildest slurry then water. After this I stropped on a (red) diamond pasted leather strop, followed by 30 minute stroping on a leather strop.

Could it be that the coti edge isn't sharp enough? Would it be a good idea to invest in a Pierre Lalune finishing stone (10k to 12k) or a Naniwa 12k. Or am I just worth less at honing. 😎

The thing shaves armhair without a problem and passed HTH.

HTH is calcium hypochlorite for swimming pools.

Top Bottom