What's new

Tuckaway 1920 set?

Hi

So I snagged up a USA made Gillette Tuckaway set from the Bay for a very reasonable price.

Haven't received it yet but one thing stood out to me, which is the lack of a serial number on the top side of the base plate.
There's made in Usa and diamond Gillette logo at the bottom of the base plate. The handle reads 1920.
Is this a mix & match with a different razor?

Screenshot_20220520_141259.jpg
Screenshot_20220520_141228.jpg
Screenshot_20220520_141206.jpg

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Not sure what's going on with the top cap ... the guide pins are not tapered like any I've seen. Gillette has a nice taper and yours are rounded and even slightly different side to side. Nothing like mine, I just checked and had a look at Mr-Razor's as well, they seem more pointed.

Not the best pic but maybe you can see the difference
full

Could you maybe take a picture of the bottom plate top view? The teeth on mine do look like they have been realigned. I spotted the offer right before it would expire and figured it was a pretty good deal. I hope I won't be too dissapointed once it landed on my doorstep. I was really hoping for a genuine tuckaway kit.

somewhere on this or another shaving forum that there are two top versions of the New Improved. Yours might be a mismatch with another top cap from an Old Type perhaps? I really don't know, but if I somehow managed to find the thread where people were talking about the different caps, I will link it here.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Could you maybe take a picture of the bottom plate top view? The teeth on mine do look like they have been realigned.
Yeah, some of the teeth have been bent on yours, look at the first photo ... they are not all at the same height. Up, down, up again, that'll make it shave funny. You can easily check them with a straightedge when you receive it. And then the end ones usually get bent in from the previous owner tapping it on the sink. Tough to straighten as they are quite brittle but it can be done.

Check Mr-Razor, Achim has some good photos.

R

romsitsa

The design changed with time, it is matching. The first run of the Ni used bullet type pins then this changed to the spherical end ones. Serial numbers were omitted between 1927-1928. Then the shoulders became narrower identical to the New LC.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
The design changed with time, it is matching. The first run of the Ni used bullet type pins then this changed to the spherical end ones. Serial numbers were omitted between 1927-1928. Then the shoulders became narrower identical to the New LC.
Thanks for the info, Adam. I had no idea that the guide pins changed, my three must be pre-1927.

Always something new to learn around here!

The design changed with time, it is matching

You have no idea how pleased I was to read this! I bought it thinking it would be a good investment that I could occassionaly enjoy using as well.
Because of the lack of serial number I feared it wasnt original which kind of ruined it for me or at least made me less enthousastic

Now to pray the teeth arent too badly bent...

I will post a pic after I have received it and put some shine on it with silver polish.

You have no idea how pleased I was to read this! I bought it thinking it would be a good investment that I could occassionaly enjoy using as well.
Because of the lack of serial number I feared it wasnt original which kind of ruined it for me or at least made me less enthousastic

Now to pray the teeth arent too badly bent...

I will post a pic after I have received it and put some shine on it with silver polish.
May we assume that you didn't receive the razor, or the teeth were too badly bent, or you wrecked the gold plating with the silver polish, or what, Shaun? :001_unsur

May we assume that you didn't receive the razor, or the teeth were too badly bent, or you wrecked the gold plating with the silver polish, or what, Shaun?
Luckily I did receive it. The teeth werent bent, except for some of the other teeth. Strange when looking at the sellers photo, right? It was silver not gold and it cleaned up very nicely with some silver polish. I love it so much that I bought a Ni Bostonian set to keep it company.

Very, very good razors, these new improveds are. /end Yoda-speak

Screenshot_20230130_191249.jpg

Top Bottom