What's new

Tubs or Tins? Any Preference?

Tubs or Tins?

• Tubs/Jars

• Tins

Results are only viewable after voting.
Tubs or Tins?

I am pairing down and refining my Den. I have determined that I really like soft soaps/croaps, both artisan and commercial. I will be keeping several of them in my rotation. All of my favorites produce great lather after loading any of my brushes for 15-20 seconds. I am only going to be using soft soaps that are available in tubs and jars though. The jars are very easy to work with. I personally do not like working with any of the tins. Many are too small. Some quickly rust. All are “messy” IMHO. YMMV as always.

(I will still keep some favorite pucks, creams, and sticks around too.)

I am just curious, what is your preference: Tubs or Tins?

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Well, I like both. But if it's a tin I like the larger diameter. Synergy has a nice large diameter tin that is perfect for face lathering and makes for an easy swirl. My big problem with the tins are, I can't get the darn things open. Tin or tubs for me is a secondary consideration compared to the scent and performance. If you are like me, and I think I know where you are going with this, is, you would like to have every soap in identical containers stacked neatly and labeled.

As long as it doesn't make a huge mess I really don't prefer one over the other, I can put up with the mess if the soap is fantastic.

While I like the idea of tubs, I love that tins aroun 5" wide give me plenty of room to load my brush.
The tins DO seem to be a bit messy though, I agree with you on that one.

I only own 2 brands of soap, Mike's and Razorock and since I use my Razorock the most I voted for the tubs/jars. I have no issues w/ Mike's tins though.

I use jars for loading and storing. Cheap (dollar store), stackable, easily labeled.

$Anchor Hocking KitchenStorage1cup_whitelid_main.jpg

I like the ppf and synergy soaps but hate the tins. Pain to open and rust quickly. I think B&M has the best tubs - wide enough and deep enough for good loading but not too deep.

Here's another vote for tubs/jars over tins. Some of the tins I have are starting to rust; obviously, that's not an issue with plastic. B&M tubs are a really good size for loading; Catie's Bubbles and Maggard's jars are very good too (they seem to be identical except for color).

I'm fine with both. I got some pucks of, I think, a discontinued TFS soap, and I got cool screw-top aluminum tins for each puck. I bowl-lather, so anything that lets me gather enough product easy is fine with me.

I like wooden bowls as well, and of course, I bow down before the red Cella tub.

I voted tins, but can appreciate the comments from both sides.

One of the reasons I prefer them is when I ship one, the flat 8 oz slip cover tin fits easily into a small flat rate box.

I also like the wider, more shallow container for loading. The comments about being more messy are reasonable. I always rinse (upside-down) after loading and just give the tin a quick wipe with a towel after I'm done. I do the same with my tubs so it's no more or less trouble.

If you are ultra-OCD and want them all the same in your shave den, Specialty Bottles sells both.

Top Bottom