What's new

Tubes or Tubs

Do you have any preference for your creams in a tube or a tub? So far both my creams- Proraso Green and GFT Spanish Leather -are in tubes. I think my next one I'll try to make it in a tub, maybe TOBS, of I'll buy a tub of GFT 63 in the Fall.

I do like the simplicity and precision of using the tube. Easy peasy.

Tubes. Lea Mentolada, Proraso green, Omega, Cremo, Palmolive Menthol, Kapo.

I only have tubs of TOBS (meh) and Mollé. I would call my Proraso green tub a croap.

generally, tubes are better for me.
i'll hardly ever use up a tub.
tube *may* reduce evaporation; also takes less storage space.
downside, sometimes get failure in screw cap.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
With a tub u can use 100% of the product. With a tube you will never get it all out. Other than that there is no real difference to me.

So what’s left, one shave’s worth? I wouldn’t worry about it.

Tubs but I do have a number of tubes too. Some tubes - Ingrams is a good example for me - can be a bit like a wild horse bolting out of a stable with even a gentle squeeze and you get more cream than you want.

I use my Crabtree & Evelyn tube key that came with their shaving cream tubes to get my cream out of the tub and a tube when it gets near the end. Very handy tool in the old shaving den!

Last edited:
Tubs but I do have a number of tubes too. I use my Crabtree & Evelyn tube key that came with their shaving cream tubes to get my cream out of the tub and a tube when it gets near the end. Very handy tool in the old shaving den!
I guess you could also cut the tube open with a knife, too. I have never heard of a tube key. Can you please post a pic? Just curious. Dont think I would ever use one.

Why would you need a tool for an open tub? I would just use my fingers.

I guess you could also cut the tube open with a knife, too. I have never heard of a tube key. Can you please post a pic? Just curious. Dont think I would ever use one.

Tube keys are old-fashioned but they work very well for metal tubes. Don't work well on the plastic tubes, though.

tube-key-1.jpg

Atlantic59, you posted one of the examples of a metal tube in my collection.

You don’t need one and I wouldn’t have bought one specifically. However, it came with a Crabtree & Evelyn shaving cream tube and I thought, “oh that could also help to...”
I find the handle end of it a handy size for scooping the cream out of a tub. It’s a small thing, stays in my wash bag along with other accessories and I try and maximise (milk is probably a better word) the use out of stuff as much as I can.
2F8D4F56-D9DD-40F9-A771-A80F612C7287.png

Atlantic59, you posted one of the examples of a metal tube in my collection.

You don’t need one and I wouldn’t have bought one specifically. However, it came with a Crabtree & Evelyn shaving cream tube and I thought, “oh that could also help to...”
I find the handle end of it a handy size for scooping the cream out of a tub. It’s a small thing, stays in my wash bag along with other accessories and I try and maximise (milk is probably a better word) the use out of stuff as much as I can.
View attachment 1112909
A penny saved is a penny earned. :biggrin1: I can see using it when the tub is full but to get every last drop at the end you would still need to use ur fingers.

Anyway, I dont buy the expensive stuff anymore, but when I did they came in tubs — I just called them jars. I saved a lot of them since they are handy containers on my workbench for screws, nails, and other little things like that. And when you go on vacation, you can leave your jewelry in them at home in your bathroom.

A penny saved is a penny earned. :biggrin1: I can see using it when the tub is full but to get every last drop at the end you would still need to use ur fingers.

Anyway, I dont buy the expensive stuff anymore, but when I did they came in tubs — I just called them jars. I saved a lot of them since they are handy containers on my workbench for screws, nails, and other little things like that. And when you go on vacation, you can leave your jewelry in them at home in your bathroom.

Good thinking on using them for that while on vacation!:thumbup1:
That’s given me an idea.

Yeah, I should have been more specific (sorry). I do use mine when the tub is full or full(ish) as you said. I wouldn’t worry about the true last remnants of a tub before throwing it though! Mind you with the amount of creams and soaps I own it’ll be a while before I see the last few remnants of a tub again! I think I have a Salter’s Sandalwood from 2014 that’s probably only got a handful of shaves left in it.

Top Bottom