What's new

tube problems

A key is not the most efficient way to get all the contents out of a foil tube, and can lead to cracks.
Why? Because the metal used to make a foil tube is easily fatigued, and rolling the tube up repeatedly compresses the flattened edges of the tube over and over again, creating pinch points, which eventually crack.
This can be avoided if one doesn't roll the tube too tightly. But then, what's the point?

I do not use a key at all.
Instead, I merely flatten the tube from tail to cap with my fingers as I use up the contents. When no more can be squeezed from the tube I lay it on the lavatory counter, take a pencil (or similarly-shaped object), and roll it over the tube from tail to cap (with cap closed), pressing down on the pencil to squeeze any remaining contents up to the cap.

Since this process is only done once, the metal is not fatigued enough to crack.
This always yields considerably more product. In fact, I am assured there is virtually nothing left in the flattened part of the tube.
[Note: This is less effective with plastic tubes, because they don't stay flattened.]

Now, to get the remaining product out of the shoulder of the tube...that's another challenge.

Now, to get the remaining product out of the shoulder of the tube...that's another challenge.
I cut aluminum and plastic tubes about 2" up from the shoulder with scissors. Then, I scoop out the cream with my finger. If there's cream left over, then I use a bulldog clip to seal the cut end until the next use:

proxy.php
or
proxy.php

Top Bottom