What's new

TTO Knob Stuck on Super Adjustable

I bought a Super Adjustable razor for my dad for Father's Day several years ago. He used it a bit and didn't seem to have any trouble with it. But not too long after I got him the razor, he went back to using the Mach III and gave the SA back to me. I put it away for several years since I've been growing a beard, but found it in a box of old shaving supplies. The knob is stuck. I was able to twist it open, but it took more effort than usual. Is there any way to fix it without taking the razor apart? It's a cool razor and in really good condition on the outside.

I have had good luck with soaking the handle in vinegar and water to loosen the handle. Might be a good solution here.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

R

romsitsa

Hello,

DON’T use vinegar or any other acid, the handle is aluminum.
I suspect the razor has some deposit inside that dried out during the years. Without disassembly, try to soak it in undiluted diswashing liquid then give it the hot water+dishwashing liquid trearment. Or use an ultrasonic cleaner.

Adam

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I would just give it a few goods baths in dishwashing detergent and hot water. Maybe a clean in an ultrasonic cleaner if you have one. I would not use anything to corrosive as you create new problems, which I have done in the past.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Hello,

I suspect the razor has some deposit inside that dried out during the years. Without disassembly, try to soak it in undiluted diswashing liquid then give it the hot water+dishwashing liquid trearment. Or use an ultrasonic cleaner.

Adam

This! Good luck!

Hello,

Adam
Good additional information. All my razors have brass handles, so I hadn't considered an aluminum one.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Soak it in Dawn & hot water overnight. You can also apply some mineral oil. I had a Super 84 that was stuck and wouldn’t complete the final 1/4 turn. The soap and water soak fixed it.

As an alternative to dishwashing soap and hot water, Scrubbing Bubbles has always worked for me. Even on a recent 40's Model Super Speed that looked nearly brand new, but was hard to twist. Spray down and let it sit for about 30 minutes, then add warm water & let it sit overnite.
After rinsing, I blew it out with compressed air, then gave it a shot of Silicone Spray Dry Lube.

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
As an alternative to dishwashing soap and hot water, Scrubbing Bubbles has always worked for me. Even on a recent 40's Model Super Speed that looked nearly brand new, but was hard to twist. Spray down and let it sit for about 30 minutes, then add warm water & let it sit overnite.
After rinsing, I blew it out with compressed air, then gave it a shot of Silicone Spray Dry Lube.

+1 on the Scrubbing Bubbles. I use this at the beginning of my regular cleaning routine on newly aquired vintage razors and it will loosen up most any soap scum clogging up the insides of the razor.

Hello,

Adam

+2!! This^

Top Bottom