What's new
  • Welcome back Guest!
    If you have been away from our site you may have to request a new password. Simply click on the link for "lost" password in the log in page.
    Thank you.
    The BST is now open, please note the changes in our guidelines to address the recent fraudulent activity. Ensure you read the guidelines prior to creating a sale thread in the Buy-Sell-Trade forum with special attention to the new photo and payment requirements.
    Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Tsushima Black

Does anyone feel this is a great stone for mid work? If an edge starts to go bad, one could go to this stone and then a fine finisher? Just curious of anyone’s experience with this wonderful stone.

I have a 4 lb brick of which I haven't used for many years. It's a useful stone. However is isn't particularly fast or fine. I have nothing bad to say about it. But it never thrilled me. The suitas I have are generally faster. But you could use it for midrange easily. another issue is the color makes it hard to see the swarf. The color.of.the slurry is whiteish though.

Sinnbad11

Contributor
I have used tsushima black nagura on a hard awasedo before, I find it a pleasant midrange stone. It does work fast enough and fine enough to move on from but isn't outstanding in either category. I like it a lot for knife work actually.

I have one that I can use in the low to mid-range. If I want a full J-Nat progression and the edge is not too bad I can start on the Tsushima w/slurry then on to Suita or Awasedo w/nagura progression.
I think they can very a bit in cutting power, mine certainly is not fast and as Buca stated my Suitas are faster.

Top Bottom