What's new

Tsuboman Atoma Paper

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
I just received some Tsuboman Atoma 1200 "Paper" from Tools From Japan (Stuart did another great job), and thought my home-made nagura mod might be of interest to some. The stuff is made on a thin self-adhesive nickle-plated copper foil that can be cut with scissors or a knife. It was intended I believe, to be able to to lap unique shapes by conforming to them.

I had the idea to stick a small posteage stamp sized piece on the back of a small piece of JNat nagura for travel or just plain convenience.

The attached image shows the nagura in the inset, and it's one that matches up well with a number of stones I have. So I cut a small piece of the Atoma paper and stuck it to the back, so I now have a two-fer. A versatile JNat nagura on one side and a piece of Atoma on the other for a pure toishi slurry.

One notable thing, the 1200 paper seems significantly smoother or less aggressive than a new 1200 Atoma plate. Go figure.

Cheers, Steve

Attachments

• $DSCF0952.jpg
    $DSCF0952.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 115

Steve56

Oh, you could also put a piece on the back of an old credit card or similar thingy of any size and make yourself a tomo nagura.

Cheers, Steve

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
That's really cool. Didn't know they made such a thing. Wonder how long a piece will last?

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Thanks for the link. I'm about to place an order for the 600 and 1200 to use for lapping.

Steve56

Could I guess, but I think most folks prefer the DMT over the Atoma. I've never tried to set a bevel on a 1200 Atoma. Comments anyone?

Cheers, Steve

Could I guess, but I think most folks prefer the DMT over the Atoma. I've never tried to set a bevel on a 1200 Atoma. Comments anyone?

Cheers, Steve

You still using this sheet? I know old thread but i was looking for a different size atoma when i stumbled on foil, its pros and cons and this thread.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
How big are the sheets? What grits are available? Could make an interesting bevel setter, stuck to a 12x3x3/4" acrylic plate. The link above says no items available in this category.

How big are the sheets? What grits are available? Could make an interesting bevel setter, stuck to a 12x3x3/4" acrylic plate. The link above says no items available in this category.

Up to 200x200mm

“These are very flexible, self-adhesive plates made of a copper foil coated with diamond chips. The total thickness is only 0.5 mm. They can be glued to surfaces of almost any shape, and can also be cut, with suitable scissors, to any shape you desire. They are useful for many different types of metal work.

If they are used to sharpen tools, like chisels or knives, you must be careful not to pierce the relatively fragile copper foil and damage the surface.

Do not sharpen in the direction of the cutting edge or other sharp corners.

The diamond coated foil comes in grit grades of 140 (coarse), 200 (semi-coarse), 400 (medium), 600 (fine), and 1200 (extra fine).”

Atoma aren’t liked by most for honing. A lot of people prefer them for lapping and slurry stones though. They say their 1200 is fine for lapping. DMT used to say not to use anything finer than the 300.

Steve56

Hey Jon,

Yes I’m using a 325 DMT for factory Gold Dollars, the 400 Atoma for lapping, and the 600 and 1200 for surface finishing stones.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Hey Jon,

Yes I’m using a 325 DMT for factory Gold Dollars, the 400 Atoma for lapping, and the 600 and 1200 for surface finishing stones.

I set the bevel on GDs with 100, 320, and 1k sandpaper when I am not fiddling around with Shaps and Choseras. I can set the bevel with sandpaper on acrylic on 50 GDs in 4 hours if I am really cranking and not distracted. I have a 600 and 1200 DMT and to me they are just too slow and small. They work fine, just takes too long when you are doing a batch of them. And the coarser DMTs act like steel chippers until they are broken in a bit.

Top Bottom