What's new

TSA safety razor carry-on ban

I just enjoyed a pleasant conversation with a team of bored TSA agents. They shared that we public have outraged enough and they now DO allow unbladed DE razors nationwide. They are not allowed to remove blades so if you forget and leave a blade in….you will have to leave the line to dispose. These folks seemed sharp so I’ll try this out next time I fly. Great luck everyone, a vacation without a successful daily shave is a horrific thought lol.

Cheers!
Great to hear! Sounds like you found a good group of TSA officers. On another forum, a different member reported different results with his razor where it was confiscated.

Last edited:
This is highly dependent on individual TSA agents; they have wide latitude to dictate what is allowable. Hopefully this irrational fear of unbladed razors dies down at some point, but in the meantime I am not going to take them in carry on luggage.

My point frequently. Some of those officers may be well intentioned, poorly informed, or simply ignorant, and overly cautious as well.

With 9/11, someone who doesn't shave with a safety razor may feel they aren't significantly different than a box cutter blade that was used then or, it could just be security gate theater for appearances.

I was in a rush and should have elaborated. The officers indicated an over night ruling to not allow DE bladeless razors and had not updated their website rules. After a tough several weeks, they made an official ruling and I was told that they are now permissible nationwide. I will be waiting for other folks here to substantiate as I will not be flying for a few months.

I’m at the airport where I learned of a new change in TSA policy: apparently all safety razor parts are forbidden from carry-on luggage. Security searched my bag and I told them I had checked their website to confirm safety razors, minus blades, were indeed allowed. They told me it was a new rule, after someone pulled a blade on a flight in Kentucky or something—I didn’t get details.

So this is not to complain about how stupid a response that is, it’s just to inform U.S. travelers. I got to pick between losing my $15 (it was on sale) German 37 or checking it in a bag for $35. Fortunately, I had a free bag pass with my credit card, so no charge.
You have to pay to check a bag?

I have an upcoming trip for which I intend to only bring a carry on. No chance I bring a safety razor w/me if so.

My bag:

-Z
I'd risk it again, especially now that I have a 3D-printed baseplate for my Tech. I'd put the handle in with my pens and then leave the cap somewhere else in my bag, where it's unlikely to cause much alarm. It's also something I could replace for next to nothing.

I am flying with a Bic disposable and shave stick if only using carry on but on this last trip I had to check a bag and brought along a Razorock V3, Kai blades and a couple of shave creams. Left the brush home. I didn’t fly with my Schick M or Vector as I was afraid they would “disappear”.

I would wait until I was pretty sure that all of the TSA agents were well aware of the change.
I hope people keep posting here with their current experiences at various airports.
This is the TSA we’re talking about. Not sure that’s going to happen especially if the agents have discretion over what they allow through

You guys make it sound like TSA agents are knuckle-dragging imbeciles rather than the highly trained and talented professionals that I’m sure they all are.
Like any large company or government agency, there are some great employees, and there are some that belong in a store or building somewhere with a mop bucket and trashcan.

I mean no disrespect to the good agents out there but, I also despise those taking advantage of the public due to their own bad behavior and biased views.

I had the displeasure of having a high school teacher that belonged in jail for psychological abuse of male students. After a bad divorce with sole child custody going to her ex-husband, she had a real axe to grind with any male and took it out on her students that had nothing to do with her personal issues.

You guys make it sound like TSA agents are knuckle-dragging imbeciles rather than the highly trained and talented professionals that I’m sure they all are.
Sociopathic individuals imitate the behaviour of those around them, looking for social clues to fit in without being detected. Sometimes false compassion helps forward their ambitions, sometimes they are able to act out their worst fantasies unchecked.

As a former frequent flyer, it sounds like you haven't had much experience with TSA.

Some TSA agents were really great people doing an awesome job. Then there were others who may have had the same training but, obviously had huge personal bias in some cases, and others singled me out because I was traveling for D.O.D. reasons and hassled me severely.

Sometimes I don’t think it’s the agents themselves that are the problem. I think it’s more the administrative people who make the rules. Take the issue in this thread for example. First people were allowed to travel with safety razors as long as they didn’t have blades with them. Then an incident happened that made the admin people change the rules not to allow themThen the public didn’t like the rule change and so informed the TSA. I guess it was vocal enough that the TSA changed the rule again in a short period of time. And like any other large organization whether it’s a government agency or a private company they may not always be getting the information to their employees in an efficient manner. So they may have some people going by the “old” rule while others are going by the “current” rule

Top Bottom