What's new

TSA safety razor carry-on ban

If someone really wants to do something on the plane he can always find a way to do it regardless of the restrictions and the rules they have. The problem is that like with pretty much any law, mostly the common people suffer. Those with power and money have private jets or diplomatic immunity and can carry whatever the hell they want. In my country we like to say - there are no laws for the very rich and there's no mercy for the very poor.

Aren’t you worried you might burn your moustache off? What would Ned Flanders do?
Hey diddly neighbourino, devil Flanders has been inhabiting my body lately, but the thought of that has brought me to my senses. No petrol on the plane this year! Danger averted.
No comment about the trident, but you'll probably have to check in your horns and tail too.

I'd stick to ferries.
Hmm, what if I have TSA Pre... that might raise some eyebrows. :eek2:

I’m at the airport where I learned of a new change in TSA policy: apparently all safety razor parts are forbidden from carry-on luggage. Security searched my bag and I told them I had checked their website to confirm safety razors, minus blades, were indeed allowed. They told me it was a new rule, after someone pulled a blade on a flight in Kentucky or something—I didn’t get details.

So this is not to complain about how stupid a response that is, it’s just to inform U.S. travelers. I got to pick between losing my $15 (it was on sale) German 37 or checking it in a bag for $35. Fortunately, I had a free bag pass with my credit card, so no charge.
Words cannot express how much I hate flying anymore. This is a perfect example of the kind of ridiculousness that has sucked all the joy out of something that used to be enjoyable.

The way I see it is that the rules do not matter. What matters is how the particular TSA agent decides to interpret the rules, at the time you pass through security. They can choose to confiscate, or allow, anything they want, legal or not, literally making the rules up on a whim as they go along. The fact you may have taken the same razor every week for a year does not mean it cannot be confiscated this time. If you take any razor with you in carry on which you cannot bear to lose, and it is confiscated, then the fault is yours for expecting each and every TSA agent to fully understand and follow the rules, when there is plenty of evidence that they do not always do so.
This is precisely correct. The rules per se don't really matter; what matters is whether the TSA agent actually understands and properly applies the rules. If the agent has a misunderstanding, is ignorant, clueless, etc. or is on a power trip (or some unpleasant combination of these), then you're likely out of luck. My recommendation is simply not to tempt fate and don't travel with a DE razor in carry-on luggage.

Ugh. I was literally starting to plan for a work trip I have to take at the beginning of March - was going to mail myself the blades. Now I guess I'll just check the damn bag. Woof!

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
This is why I don't believe in flying, why put yourself through all the stress, and the inevitable of being detained by TSA, because they assume your some kind of flight risk, because you were going to bring a DE razor with no blade in it, on a plane. Back in the 1980's, people flew like nothing even mattered. The airline industry even burned fuel and pollution out of 747 jumbo jets like it didn't matter either. Now days, EPA sorted that business out, and the TSA are sorting people out to their discretion.

When I found out what TSA agents were allowed to do in this country with kids, in the name of security, thats when I was like, thats it, I am done, there is no force on this earth or heaven, that will make me get on a plane. 😡 For the folks who are forced to travel as part of their job description, or get fired for the lack of doing so, I feel for you. Its not a job I would ever want.

You know another thing people used to do like it didn't matter back in the 70's? Drive gas guzzling carbureted cars around just to drive. Burning gas? None of that matters, its less then a dollar a gallon, drive drive drive, cause were so bored, we can't think of anything else to do. Now days, gas is over 4 dollars a gallon, over 5 dollars a gallon in some places, you don't see people driving for pleasure anymore, people wised up with that too lol.

So yeah, personally, my view on this world is fairly pessimistic now, I just been through too much, seen too much. And my view is, flying airplanes to go everywhere is dead in my mind. But hey, everybody can do what they want, but I rather not get stripped searched by TSA because they were in a bad mood that day. And screw them for stealing people's stuff and selling it at auction. There auda be a law against that, and everyone should sue TSA. But thats not going to happen.

If someone really wants to do something on the plane he can always find a way to do it regardless of the restrictions and the rules they have. The problem is that like with pretty much any law, mostly the common people suffer. Those with power and money have private jets or diplomatic immunity and can carry whatever the hell they want. In my country we like to say - there are no laws for the very rich and there's no mercy for the very poor.

I 100% agree with you! The rich get away with everything, money is power, and the driving force of the world. The poor get dumped on, and there is no mercy for the poor. I've lived long enough to know this is factual truth. The rich own the world, the poor suffer in it. Like I said, I have a pessimistic view of the world, because I lived in it a long time. I have no Disney fairy tail missconceptions of a world with a happy ever after. There is no such thing in the real world.

I honestly think that Disney sets our kids up for failure, because it brainwashes them into believing that the world is a wonderful place, and you can achieve anything you desire, and love for you is at an arms length, and that you will all have a happy ever after. Yeah sure, wake up to the real world, you see whats going on in the world, you wouldn't believe that fairy tale garbage either.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Seems to me some people just want to make things complicated. No, I’m not talking about the TSA. I’m talking about folks that see rules and think “what! That’s so unfair!”. Want to know what entitlement is? Tell some “adults” they can’t take their razors on an airplane anymore.

Every TSA rule change a thread like this pops up and it’s the same ole circle of whines.

Want to know what entitlement is? Tell some “adults” they can’t take their razors on an airplane anymore.

Every TSA rule change a thread like this pops up and it’s the same ole circle of whines.

Really? You’re expecting something different from a group that throws a collective fit when a tallow soap goes vegan? Or when a blade suddenly moves production from Israel to Germany? Come on, let us gripe and moan a bit when an agency reacts to an incident with a rule that inconveniences us without doing anything to actually prevent a similar incident in the future! 😃

Seems to me some people just want to make things complicated. No, I’m not talking about the TSA. I’m talking about folks that see rules and think “what! That’s so unfair!”. Want to know what entitlement is? Tell some “adults” they can’t take their razors on an airplane anymore.

Let me push back a bit on your comment. It is not that I mind checking a razor, but I don’t want to have to worry about having the razor stolen by baggage handlers or customs agents or….or…. I happen to enjoy photography and always take some expensive cameras and lenses with me when I travel. Suppose the new rules say that I can’t carry on my equipment? Should I just check it and take my not-so-good chances? I don’t think so.

I used to travel for work…it is plenty stressful…more stress does not need to be added. I am glad to be out of that situation. i don’t think that wanting less stress is a sign of entitlement.

I appreciate your point of view, but simply disagree that one size fits all.

Thanks

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Let me push back a bit on your comment. It is not that I mind checking a razor, but I don’t want to have to worry about having the razor stolen by baggage handlers or customs agents or….or…. I happen to enjoy photography and always take some expensive cameras and lenses with me when I travel. Suppose the new rules say that I can’t carry on my equipment? Should I just check it and take my not-so-good chances? I don’t think so.

I used to travel for work…it is plenty stressful…more stress does not need to be added. I am glad to be out of that situation. i don’t think that wanting less stress is a sign of entitlement.

I appreciate your point of view, but simply disagree that one size fits all.

Thanks
It’s your responsibility to check the rules before you fly. If you have valuable equipment you don’t want confiscated then common sense would demand you check the rules before every flight.

My understanding is all these new rules apply to carryon on baggage. Not checked baggage. So yeah, check your baggage and take your chances, or don't fly with anything you don’t want damaged or taken by TSA. Quite simple Really. We are talking about an agency that does not have to answer to the general public in any way what so ever. At all. They make the rules. Flyers follow the rules. There is no grey area or middle ground. Don’t like it, don’t fly. Simple as that. You can not fight. You lose every time, all the time. It doesn’t even have to be a hard written rule. Run in to a TSA agent that is in a bad mood and you ain’t flying at all. Your gear might, your baggage might, but you won’t. Facts.

Find me a TSA rule that was overturned because a group of ticked off citizens gathered their torches and said NO, WE WILL NOT DO THAT! The TSA isn’t one of those agencies that succumb to angry customers.

It’s your responsibility to check the rules before you fly. If you have valuable equipment you don’t want confiscated then common sense would demand you check the rules before every flight.

My understanding is all these new rules apply to carryon on baggage. Not checked baggage. So yeah, check your baggage and take your chances, or don't fly with anything you don’t want damaged or taken by TSA. Quite simple Really. We are talking about an agency that does not have to answer to the general public in any way what so ever. At all. They make the rules. Flyers follow the rules. There is no grey area or middle ground. Don’t like it, don’t fly. Simple as that. You can not fight. You lose every time, all the time. It doesn’t even have to be a hard written rule. Run in to a TSA agent that is in a bad mood and you ain’t flying at all. Your gear might, your baggage might, but you won’t. Facts.

Find me a TSA rule that was overturned because a group of ticked off citizens gathered their torches and said NO, WE WILL NOT DO THAT! The TSA isn’t one of those agencies that succumb to angry customers.
The mask rule was changed because flyers complained very loudly. I still wear a mask on planes even though it is not required. Maybe not a TSA rule, but still an example.

Unfortunately, I agree with almost all of what you said…I don’t have to like the ambiguity of the situation, though.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I had no issues bringing two safety razors back from Canada to the US. They opened them up and checked for blades but otherwise let me keep the razors in my carry on. This was just a week ago.
And on your next flight, the very same TSA agent who is having a bad day, could confiscate them with no explanation and no appeal. This is very well known, and is the chance that someone is choosing to take when they put a razor in carry on; they are forcing the agent to make a decision. Those people can complain about the terrible injustice they have suffered, while they are growing a beard 😅 The point is that anyone carrying any razor is choosing to gamble with losing it. I choose to only take that gamble with a razor that has little or no value to me, and have little sympathy with those that have their Toggle confiscated because they chose to gamble with it 👍

Top Bottom