What's new

TSA safety razor carry-on ban

If you really have your heart set on packing a safety razor in your carry-on luggage, give this a try...

Find and print the latest copy of the current regulation regarding safety razors in carry-on luggage. Ensure the printed copy includes the as-of-date of the policy; you're dealing with a government agency so the date is important.

Have the printed copy readily available to show the TSA agent (and possibly their supervisor).

Get there early as you may be delayed while you explain your position. And be prepared to lose the argument.

When this episode is over, ask yourself "Was the juice worth the squeeze?"

I’m glad somebody picked up the humour. I thought I’d made it extra obvious but everyone still took it literally.
They just don't get us sometimes me old cocksparrer.

That's why US adaptions of UK sitcoms don't usually fare well.

I suspect there is an invisible humour confusion translation warp-thing about 1500 miles out in the Atlantic, just floating there. Probably looks like special effects from a bad Bermuda Triangle film.

Makes you think.

Anyway, back on topic.

If you really have your heart set on packing a safety razor in your carry-on luggage, give this a try...

Find and print the latest copy of the current regulation regarding safety razors in carry-on luggage. Ensure the printed copy includes the as-of-date of the policy; you're dealing with a government agency so the date is important.

Have the printed copy readily available to show the TSA agent (and possibly their supervisor).

Get there early as you may be delayed while you explain your position. And be prepared to lose the argument.

The last time I flew anywhere I was flying from Punta Gorda, Florida to Lexington, Kentucky. The agents that were working the Punta Gorda airport at that time seemed to know the rules pretty well and was able to get through with no problems. I did have a slight delay when flying back from Lexington. The line agent had to call another agent or supervisor to confirm that my razor was allowed through (which it was). I think in the second case it might have been a combination of the guy being a new hire and not being familiar with what a DE razor is

Edit: I should also mention that this happened about 3 years ago. So not exactly a new phenomenon

Last edited:
I'd risk it again, especially now that I have a 3D-printed baseplate for my Tech. I'd put the handle in with my pens and then leave the cap somewhere else in my bag, where it's unlikely to cause much alarm. It's also something I could replace for next to nothing.
A true genius move would be to turn the Tech cap into a belt buckle. Then the only metal thing on the x-ray is that teeny brass handle that could go to a magnifying glass or any number of things.

Come to it, I would probably wear an etched Tech cap for a belt buckle even when I'm not flying.

This won't fix the personal discretion to confiscate your razor.

This won't fix the personal discretion to confiscate your razor.
Hence the "And be prepared to lose the argument" comment in my original post.

EDIT: Two of the things I miss most when traveling are my bed and my bathroom. I don't pack my favorite pillow, blanket, or towel... and I don't pack my favorite shaving gear either. I accept the fact that I will be without the comforts of home for a few days. I managed to survive without my current DE/SE shaving gear for over fifty years (cartridge and electric razors) so a couple of weeks probably won't kill me.

Last edited:
I’m at the airport where I learned of a new change in TSA policy: apparently all safety razor parts are forbidden from carry-on luggage. Security searched my bag and I told them I had checked their website to confirm safety razors, minus blades, were indeed allowed. They told me it was a new rule, after someone pulled a blade on a flight in Kentucky or something—I didn’t get details.

So this is not to complain about how stupid a response that is, it’s just to inform U.S. travelers. I got to pick between losing my $15 (it was on sale) German 37 or checking it in a bag for $35. Fortunately, I had a free bag pass with my credit card, so no charge.
Thank you for the update. Appreciated.

Top Bottom