What's new

TSA razor carry-on question for traveling

Hey everyone, I just had a quick question for those that have traveled with their DE's: Do you just put your razor blades into your checked luggage? I usually travel light and can live off of just my carry-on bags, so I would prefer to not have to check in a bag just for the sake of my blades.

I see this on the official TSA site for prohibited items:

"Razor-Type Blades - such as box cutters, utility knives, razor blades not in a cartridge, but excluding safety razors."

The "excluding safety razors" throws me. So do I read that as "Razor blades not in a cartridge are prohibited, but safety razors are excluded from the prohibited list?"

Thanks!

--D

it's one of those poor wording things.

I would do one of two things. Try and receive clarification in writing from TSA and bring it with you. Good luck getting it in writing, and even if you do saying you are good to go good luck getting the TSA drones to not confiscate it anyway.

I play safe and take it to mean the razor handle with no blades.

There have been a few threads along these lines with folks mentioning having blades confiscated. A good workaround should you not wish to check luggage would appear to be mailing a few blades to your destination beforehand (assuming, of course, that you find yourself not wanting to purchase blades once you arrive).

Happy travels!

Anything with a blade is prohibited as carry-on. But it's alright to bring a cigar cutter onboard. Has to do with how accessible the blade is, or whether it's permanent or removable.

dont we get a TSA thread every 1-2 months ?

anyways, remove blades before travel or you might get the white glove treatment (and i dont mean velvet)

DE, injector, and single edge blades are not allowed in carry on luggage. Cartridge blades are.

A few years ago I phoned the TSA directly and talked to someone about this very subject.

Oh, and don't try to sneak them through the checkpoints, even if you get guys posting here that they have done so.

dont we get a TSA thread every 1-2 months ?

anyways, remove blades before travel or you might get the white glove treatment (and i dont mean velvet)

Yeah, I made a comment about that and got tasked with making a wiki page (see also: "me and my big mouth"). I'll get on it.

I too travel light and can't stand checking bags if I can avoid it. I would try taking my razor with me. That's just me. The absolute worst thing they would do is make me remove and throw away the blade at the checkpoint. I'd be out less than a buck, and could always pick up some Personnas (in a pinch) at a Wal-Mart or drugstore at my destination. I'd be willing to bet that it wouldn't be noticed.

The only thing they are going to see is the small part of the exposed edge.

How many TSA employees do you think know the difference between a Mach 3 and a DE???:tongue_sm

Ok, on second thought. I am going to take a small pack of blades, insert them in a very small padded envelope, write my contact info on the outside, walk up to the ticket counter, and check the stupid thing. :lol:

I too travel light and can't stand checking bags if I can avoid it. I would try loading up your razor with 2 or 3 blades on top of each other (if you think you'll need that many). Throw it in your dopp kit and see what they say. The absolute worst thing they will do is make you remove and throw away the blades at the checkpoint. You're out less than a buck, and you can always pick up some Personnas (in a pinch) at a Wal-Mart or drugstore at your destination. I'd be willing to bet that it wouldn't be noticed.

You'll also delay everyone behind you in line -- a decidedly ungentlemanly thing to do. :rolleyes:

There have been a few threads along these lines with folks mentioning having blades confiscated. A good workaround should you not wish to check luggage would appear to be mailing a few blades to your destination beforehand (assuming, of course, that you find yourself not wanting to purchase blades once you arrive).

Happy travels!

This would be the safest thing to do. They won't take away the razor if it has no blade in it.

I too travel light and can't stand checking bags if I can avoid it. I would try loading up your razor with 2 or 3 blades on top of each other (if you think you'll need that many). Throw it in your dopp kit and see what they say. The absolute worst thing they will do is make you remove and throw away the blades at the checkpoint. You're out less than a buck, and you can always pick up some Personnas (in a pinch) at a Wal-Mart or drugstore at your destination. I'd be willing to bet that it wouldn't be noticed.

How many TSA employees do you think know the difference between a Mach 3 and a DE???:tongue_sm

I'm pretty sure there's a lot worse they can do to you if they catch you doing that. It's not what they see or not. If you've got someone with a good eye watching the scanner, they'll pull your bag aside and unscrew the top off the DE. It's happened to me before. Better safe than sorry with a glove up your butt.

Also, I bet there are tons of TSA employees that know the difference between a Mach 3 and a DE. They're not stupid.

I have seen the error of my ways, and amended my post. I like my second idea anyway. Since I get stranded almost every time I fly (or they lose my bags) then I will always carry-on. But by checking in the little padded envelope, which will in essence be throwing the blades away since the luggage handlers are likely to laugh at it and toss it, then I can have the pleasure of filling out the lost luggage form on the other end. I've missed that part ever since I started carrying on. :lol::lol::lol:

I too travel light and can't stand checking bags if I can avoid it. I would try taking my razor with me. That's just me. The absolute worst thing they would do is make me remove and throw away the blade at the checkpoint. I'd be out less than a buck, and could always pick up some Personnas (in a pinch) at a Wal-Mart or drugstore at my destination. I'd be willing to bet that it wouldn't be noticed.

No, what they're going to see is a different razor that is suspicious, and that draws attention to it, and then you get taken aside...

How many TSA employees do you think know the difference between a Mach 3 and a DE???

I've posted earlier that I did a test of the idea that it wouldn't be noticed. I found that about one time in four, I was pulled aside and the TSA examined my Merkur Slant (with NO blade in it). Once I had a nice chat with the guy about the return of DE shaving. :001_smile

No, what they're going to see is a different razor that is suspicious, and that draws attention to it, and then you get taken aside...

I've posted earlier that I did a test of the idea that it wouldn't be noticed. I found that about one time in four, I was pulled aside and the TSA examined my Merkur Slant (with NO blade in it). Once I had a nice chat with the guy about the return of DE shaving. :001_smile

Step out of line, the man come, and take you away...

Good to know. I always fit all of my toiletries in a clear quart sized ziplock bag anyway. The Merker HD is actually smaller than my Mach 13.5 Turbo. So, I guess I can just disassemble the thing, stick it in the bag, and prepare myself for the explanation. :001_smile

Good to know. I always fit all of my toiletries in a clear quart sized ziplock bag anyway. The Merker HD is actually smaller than my Mach 13.5 Turbo. So, I guess I can just disassemble the thing, stick it in the bag, and prepare myself for the explanation. :001_smile

Yup. Best thing to do is to leave it disassembled.

My girlfriends mom bought me this cool Art Of Shaving travel bag. It's got pre-shave oil, shave cream, a travel size best badger brush, and after shave balm, all in TSA certified approved sizes. Pretty cool. However, I have to take my colognes with me on trips, and not all of my spray bottles have an option to decant. So, I check a bag and load up my shaving stuff.

Plus, although it can be annoying to check bags, it's even more annoying (IMO) when a flight is full and you're holding every one up trying to find an over head compartment to stuff your bag in, both boarding and de-boarding.

Plus, although it can be annoying to check bags, it's even more annoying (IMO) when a flight is full and you're holding every one up trying to find an over head compartment to stuff your bag in, both boarding and de-boarding.

I hate that as well, but discovered the "check at the gate" option. In my experience, smaller flights will require this, or at the least allow it. Larger flights usually do have enough overhead bin space.

I always try to gate check it when I can. I never need the stuff in my bag while I'm in flight. Gate checking still allows me to make sure it doesn't get lost, and that I have fresh underwear and a toothbrush when I get stranded.

Seriously, I was stranded overnight on all but 2 of my trips last year. What's that all about???:mad:

I leave the DE at home and travel with a Sensor. It's not worth it to me to:

-check a bag that I can otherwise carry on
-risk having a DE razor confiscated, even without a blade, because a TSA employee thinks it is suspicious
-risk needless interrogation and delay
-mail blades to my destination or have to make a special trip to buy them once I get there

Flying is difficult enough these days without making it more so. Just my coupla pennies.

Top Bottom