What's new

Trying to Quit Dipping - Going With the Snus!

Gents,

I've been dipping fairly regularly for the past 7 years or so, and my use has escalated over the past 10 months to the point that my bottom gums are not only hurting but noticeably receding. I always figured I'd eventually kick the stuff (my go-to was always Skoal Citrus), but now it's getting to the point where I really have to.

I'd prefer not to quit cold turkey, since I know I won't have the willpower (especially when I'm drinking and there's a ballgame on...I have no chance). So I figured my best solution was to replace the dip with something more tolerable. Coincidentally, I happened to try hookah for the first time over the weekend, and loved it. That lead to me poking around on B&B for any hookah info, as I would consider tobacco a gentlemanly pursuit. As the internet is known to do, I eventually stumbled on Rob's comprehensive snus entry on the Gentleman's Essentials sticky.

Since the application of snus is similar to dip (yet avoids my lower lip), I figured this would be the perfect replacement for the Skoal. I placed an order on GetSnus for white portions of General, Ettan and Goreborgs Rape.

Just wanted to thank you all for posting this great info. I have two quick questions...

- Are there any flavors similar to Skoal Citrus in the world of snus?
- I was unclear about whether or not it is common to swallow snus. What's the proper spitting/swallowing etiquette? (I can't believe I just wrote that)

Thanks again!

-H

I tried some Camel snus and thought it was pretty good. As far as swallowing, the snus I had was in a little paper package, so I wouldn't want to swallow the whole thing. There is no need to spit; very little additional saliva is generated with snus. I didn't experience any need to swallow more than I normally would without anything in my mouth.

Yeah there is no need to spit with snus. There are citrus flavors but I'm not acquainted with them or skoal to say whether they taste the same or not.

The citrus I've tried are:

General, which is Bergamont. Onyx is my favorite in that category. All General snus I've tried I've liked. Bergamont is, to me, a nice peppery citrus. Onyx is portions only, but you can get General Los (loose snus, like dip).

Thunder Orange. I didn't really care for it. Good orange flavor, but get's too sweet too quick. These come in portions only.

There might be more, but I can't recall them.

With snus, the further back you put it, the more saliva it generates. If you find you are getting a lot of saliva, move it forward more. There is no spitting necessary with snus.
I've never tried skoal, but those are what I've tried.

From what I have read, not from personal experience, dippers switching to snus generally are recommended a stark or extra stark snus (strong or extra strong). Take this with a grain of salt, but I can get you more information on that if you'd like.

Ettan is a plain tobacco, and very very good snus. I always recommend it to new snuser's. Goteborgs Rape is very good too(to me), but it can be a love it or hate it snus. Don't throw any can's away if you don't initially like it. As you get accustomed to the flavor's and salt content you're taste's will change a little bit. What you don't like right away you might like in a few weeks or a month. I store my snus on a ziplock bag in the refrigerator. Some folks freeze them, but I prefer not to.

Good luck on you're journey.

Thanks a lot for the responses, fellas.

For the record, the flavor of Skoal Citrus often reminds me of the yellow-colored Gatorade.

Is it uncommon to pack more than one portion of snus at a time (to simulate a stronger portion)?

I just remembered Goteborg just came out with a Lime portion. I've never tried it though. I think you will enjoy General.

I've heard of folks dong two portions at a time, but it seems uncomfortable to me.

Another thing to remember is white portions are a little slower on the nic delivery. Regular portions are what I use for the most part, especially in the morning.

I dipped Copenhagen for 20+ years and I have not had a dip since October 2011. I use something called Oliver Twist tobacco bits now,they are very small and fit in your upper lip. There is not much tobacco at all but they satisfy me enough that I can stay away from the strong stuff plus there is no spitting with the Oliver Twist.

I've heard that snus is even worse for your health than chew, not that I have any proof, just the word on the street. I'm a smoker, about 1/2 a pack to a pack a day. Have any of you tried the 'e-cigarette' ? I have a couple times and it has the feel, or 'pull' of a actual cigarette. Been thinking of giving them a shot. Maybe that's of interest to you as well, OP?

I've heard that snus is even worse for your health than chew, not that I have any proof, just the word on the street. I'm a smoker, about 1/2 a pack to a pack a day. Have any of you tried the 'e-cigarette' ? I have a couple times and it has the feel, or 'pull' of a actual cigarette. Been thinking of giving them a shot. Maybe that's of interest to you as well, OP?
Check out the Gentlemen's Essentials thread. It has an entire extensive section on vaping with e-cigarettes.

Im curious..as you stated your "gums are receding and hurting"...try an exelon patch or the patches to quit smoking..perhaps the gum...why keep going on if you see/feel negative results?

Im curious..as you stated your "gums are receding and hurting"...try an exelon patch or the patches to quit smoking..perhaps the gum...why keep going on if you see/feel negative results?

+1 I'm going on 25 days with out a dip now. I dipped a can a day of Grizzly Wintergreen LC for 10 years, first week I used a product I found at a local Walmart, Smokey Mountain I believe. I got the Wintergreen, it didn't taste like wintergreen at all but it was very sweet, and tasted pretty good anyways. It was made with some mint leaves, corn silt, flavor, and a tad bit of cayanne pepper for the burn feel.

I have been sleeping so much better since I quit, still have the fog on some days but overall feel so much better. Talk about taste to, food actually tastes so much better. Anyways, back to my point, the smokey mountain stuff is a great crutch, although it has no nicotine in it. Either you want to quit or you don't, up to you. Good website on killthecan.org that goes over snus to tobacco alternative snuff. The smokey mountain was nice because it was available local for me at wally world.

What street did you hear that on?

Well I keep going because I am pretty much addicted to dip - addiction is funny like that. I haven't dipped over the past few days by applying some willpower, but once the weekend rolls around, it will be difficult not to grab a tin. My gums are already feeling much better.

Concerning the e-cigs, I've never had too much trouble moderating with cigarettes (I smoke occasionally when I drink) as I can't stand the lingering smell on my clothes. Regardless, I think e-cigs are an excellent solution to quit smoking and I appreciate the recommendation.

As mentioned in my original post, it is the manner in which one snuses that appeals to me - it is similar to dipping, relatively safe (if unfairly villified) and discreet. If I can kick the Skoal and get to the point where I am enjoying a snus a few times a week (with no gum issues) then I will be perfectly fine with that.

That Lime Goteborg sounds right in my wheelhouse. I'll have to check that out once I've experimented with my initial shipment.

Thanks for all of the suggestions fellas.

Top Bottom