What's new

Trying to pick a pipe

Howdy!

So a few years ago I made a little pipe rack that will hold 4 pipes. I have had 3 pipes since I took up pipe smoking in 2017. That extra space has always bugged me a bit, but I’ve been pretty satisfied with my three pipes.

Now, my wife has indicated she may like to get me a pipe for Father’s Day. I like the idea because 1, who doesn’t like a new pipe? And 2, it’ll fill that slot in the rack. Problem is, I cannot figure out what I want.

My current pipes are a Savinelli series iii 626 bent apple, Savinelli series iii 404 Zulu, and a Peterson Irish made army 101 straight billiard. Years ago, I wanted a bent Peterson of some kind, probably an 03, because I really like the 101. Plus I have two straight(ish) pipes and one bent. Symmetry being so important, you know ;). I also like idea of the robustness of the army mount and a maybe a silver mount this time. I assumed I’d go all-in on a system spigot sandblasted (since all my pipes are smooth).

So, that’s the answer, right? Maybe, but let’s not under think this. A lot of Pete’s seem to have acrylic stems these days, and I have a slight preference for vulcanite. Many of the ones with vulcanite have p-lips, and now I’m not sure a p-lip on one out of only four pipes is a good idea as I’ve never tried one.

Additionally, I also tend towards a minimalistic aesthetic, which is why I really like the Savinelli series iii pipes. Plus I don’t really want to worry about babying an expensive pipe.

So now I’m debating between:

1) rusticated Savinelli Tre 626. +’s: I know I like the shape, it’s bent and a rough finish, no filter. -‘s: acrylic stem, not much different than I have
2) Peterson ashford 03. +’s: bent, silver army mount, I like the inlaid “P” on the stem, less expensive as there is an unsmoked estate on SPC right now. -‘s: acrylic stem, don’t love the brown stem color.
3) Peterson system spigot smooth 303. +’s: whole hog Pete experience, love the silver, bent, vulcanite stem. -‘s: p-lip, price
4) Peterson Irish made army 69. +’s: bent, army mount, less expensive, matches my current Pete. -‘s: acrylic stem (my Irish made army is vulcanite, they must’ve changed at some point), I don’t like the shape as much as the 03 (which does not appear to be part of this series.
5) Peterson cara sandblast 03. +’s: bent, silver band, I like the inlaid “P” on the stem, less expensive than a system spigot, vulcanite, fishtail. -‘s: not an army mount which makes the stem/shank seem pretty chunky. (There are also a couple other cara shapes I like that are straight(ish): the 6 and the 268).

So, after that verbal diarrhea, what would you do in my position? Should I rethink the entire approach? Too fixated on bent, vulcanite, army mount, silver?

Any input much appreciated!
971F1E1D-8CC6-46A3-90D8-3F13F89A16A3.jpeg
737459E9-97A2-4609-840C-EBDD6912C7DA.jpeg

Open a tab for pipe you think you want. Go back and forth and of any of them make you go THAT ONE, pick it.

Or ask your wife. If she thinks you'd look better smoking one then that is the one 😁

Or just scroll through all the pipes and let the intuition take over. Or involve your wife. 😎

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I have had very good experience with the Estate Pipes sold by Smoking Pipes. They have some very good offers from time to time. If a vulcanite stem is your preference this is your most likely avenue towards success.
My suggestion is to consider the three you have already, and think about which of the three you reach for most often. Is there a natural preference you have? If so, then you may want to consider a similar pipe, as picking purely on esthetics can be a mistake for some.
I initially believed that I preferred a bent shape, but if I don't think about it and just reach for a pipe, I find myself reaching most for the Canadian/Liverpool/Lumberman/Lovat style.
You may have a natural preference as well based on how the pipe packs, smokes and feels.
Just my 2 cents.

Open a tab for pipe you think you want. Go back and forth and of any of them make you go THAT ONE, pick it.

Or ask your wife. If she thinks you'd look better smoking one then that is the one 😁

Or just scroll through all the pipes and let the intuition take over. Or involve your wife. 😎
I don’t think my wife cares quite that much ;)

The intuition approach is a good idea. Though currently it’s saying, “get them all!”

I have had very good experience with the Estate Pipes sold by Smoking Pipes. They have some very good offers from time to time. If a vulcanite stem is your preference this is your most likely avenue towards success.
My suggestion is to consider the three you have already, and think about which of the three you reach for most often. Is there a natural preference you have? If so, then you may want to consider a similar pipe, as picking purely on esthetics can be a mistake for some.
I initially believed that I preferred a bent shape, but if I don't think about it and just reach for a pipe, I find myself reaching most for the Canadian/Liverpool/Lumberman/Lovat style.
You may have a natural preference as well based on how the pipe packs, smokes and feels.
Just my 2 cents.
Thanks for the thoughtful reply!

I too thought I preferred bent pipes, primarily due to aesthetics. But I reach for my Peterson straight billiard most. Though that may have something to do with it being a birthday gift from my wife/kids.

I do find I prefer the hand feel of the apple bowl shape where the transition up to the rim is more rounded. Makes holding it feel more natural. But the extra mass makes it less suited for clinching.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Another question: is an army mount truly more robust than a regular mortise and tenon?
Others may have a better answer but as I understand it the purpose of an army mount is so that you can remove the stem while the pipe is still hot which is a no-no for a regular mortise tenon type pipe. I’m not sure if I would consider it more robust, just different.

The intuition approach is a good idea. Though currently it’s saying, “get them all!”
That’s true B&B spirit right there.

Yet another question:

Is the Savinelli series iii line still around, or has it been discontinued? It seems everyone shows them out of stock. Maybe it’s just a supply chain thing?

I’d honestly prefer another one of those as I’ve really enjoyed the two I have. I like the bare briar feel and inexpensive nature of them.

Esthetically, another bent pipe would make a nice setup, 2 straights and 2 bents.

If you're not set on having a new pipe, Smokingpipes does have good estates. And Blue Room Briars (Estate Pipes – Blue Room Briars - https://www.blueroombriars.com/pages/estate-pipes) has some great used models, many or most of which have vulcanite stems. I've bought 2 or 3 from them and their inventory and service are terrific.
Thanks for the link. I have not come across them before.

Thanks for the link. I have not come across them before.
They are very customer-oriented. My first purchase was a Stanwell, and I thought the stem was a little loose. They advised me to let the pipe sit at room temperature for an hour, then smoke it a few times without removing the stem. According to them, it should tighten up. And they were right.

They take older pipes in trade. Reasonable prices too, from $40 up. And you can search by pipe shape, and sort by price or the newness of the pipe to their site, etc.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
An example of the differences between what we perceive to be what we want, and what we actually want:

I have this pipe:
004-006-34089.8528.jpg

It's a Savinelli bent pot TUNDRA (Shield stamp) 316 EX, with a Chamber Depth of 1.34 in. and a Chamber Diameter of 1.05 inches at the top of the bowl.
I hate it.
My thoughts were a nice leisurely long smoke from a large bowl.
The reality - it's very hard to get an even burn, and lighting it is impossible with a regular pipe lighter. There's just too much surface area at the top of the bowl, and the flame just cannot be drawn down into the tobacco.
It takes a fairly large butane flame to light, and it takes too frequent use of that lighter applied to different areas of the tobacco surface to get anything near a leisurely smoke.

OK, I think I may have found a pipe that satisfies most of my wants: The Rossi Vittoria 8207 straight apple

+'s: apple shape bowl matches the 626 and I know its comfortable, light weight and size make for good clinching, I like the straight aesthetic, vulcanite, no filter, inexpensive. Also the rusticated finish will be a nice change from my 3 smoothies. If it is drilled as well as and smokes as good as my Sav series iii's, it should be a good smoker.

-'s: pure nitpicky: no silver, not an army mount (not sure this matters so much as i like this pipe's aesthetic), not a Pete ;)

Thanks everyone for your help and input!
002-577-13114.9631.jpg

OK, I think I may have found a pipe that satisfies most of my wants: The Rossi Vittoria 8207 straight apple

+'s: apple shape bowl matches the 626 and I know its comfortable, light weight and size make for good clinching, I like the straight aesthetic, vulcanite, no filter, inexpensive. Also the rusticated finish will be a nice change from my 3 smoothies. If it is drilled as well as and smokes as good as my Sav series iii's, it should be a good smoker.

-'s: pure nitpicky: no silver, not an army mount (not sure this matters so much as i like this pipe's aesthetic), not a Pete ;)

Thanks everyone for your help and input!
View attachment 1461813
I've never had a Rossi, but as I understand it, they are essentially Savinellis. It looks like a great pipe!

For a bent pipe, I feel like there should be a place in everyone's rotation for a 673 Roma Lucite from Savinelli. It kind of "dresses up the joint", is a fantastic smoker and has a wide following....but I'm also more of a fan of acrylic stems, as opposed to vulcanite. I have never missed with a Savinelli, and I feel like Petersons are very hit or miss. Although their quality control has improved, some of their designs haven't aged well (in my very humble opinion, and I mean that, it's just my opinion).
I have the Irish Made Army mount 101 as well, and I love it, even though it's a bit heavy to clench. That's the only Peterson that I've truly enjoyed in my collection. I also have an 03 and it's a bit small for my tastes. It's also not the cleanest of smokers. Maybe its just me. I will say that given its small size and somewhat aggressive bend, it is a fantastic clencher.

I've never had a Rossi, but as I understand it, they are essentially Savinellis. It looks like a great pipe!
Yeah, my understadning is they are kind of a "seconds" line, so my guess is the rustication and dark finish are hiding some ugly grain or more fills. If they are close in quality to the Savinelli series III pipes I have (also a lower end "seconds" type), then I'll be happy.

For a bent pipe, I feel like there should be a place in everyone's rotation for a 673 Roma Lucite from Savinelli. It kind of "dresses up the joint", is a fantastic smoker and has a wide following....but I'm also more of a fan of acrylic stems, as opposed to vulcanite. I have never missed with a Savinelli, and I feel like Petersons are very hit or miss. Although their quality control has improved, some of their designs haven't aged well (in my very humble opinion, and I mean that, it's just my opinion).
I have the Irish Made Army mount 101 as well, and I love it, even though it's a bit heavy to clench. That's the only Peterson that I've truly enjoyed in my collection. I also have an 03 and it's a bit small for my tastes. It's also not the cleanest of smokers. Maybe its just me. I will say that given its small size and somewhat aggressive bend, it is a fantastic clencher.
Interesting that you like the 101 the best. Maybe I got lucky that was my first (and so far only) Pete!

I've never had a problem clenching it, but it is definitely heavier than say my Sav 404. If I end up with the Rossi, which is ultimately up to my wife as it is a gift after all, I suspect it will be similar clench-wise to the Pete. Its about the same weight, but that's OK by me.

Top Bottom