What's new

Trying to narrow down my final choice, need the experts to chime in

Hey all! I hope you are doing well.

I hope this is the right place to come for help, I believe it will be.

I am trying to finalize my decision on what single edge razor to get exclusively for neck shaving. I have a beard and have not shaved my face since I was 14 (I am 30 now). I keep my beard maintained and like to clean up the neck line to get that sharp appearance. I use a shavette to define my cheek lines

Currently, I only have 1 double edge razor but I am not really enjoying it and I feel I would very much like a single edge. To give context, I don't like the double edge cause I can't seem to get the right angle, I always forget to switch to the other side, and I nick myself quite often. I could go for another double edge or try new blades, but I have my mind set on going the single edge route. I usually only trimmed my neck up until about a month ago, but decided I like the clean shaven look way more.

Now, I have done my research, but because I have never used a single edge before, and I would like to know your thoughts and opinions before purchasing.

I have narrowed down my choices to:
  • Razorock ECO (a SE that uses half DE blades and is categorized as low end 'medium-aggressive') @ $41 CAD
  • Razorock Black Hawk v2 (a SE that uses AC blades and is categorized as 'mild-medium-aggressive) @ $41 CAD
  • Razorock Hawk 'A' Stainless Steel v3 (a SE that uses AC blades and is categorized as 'aggressive', and is the most aggressive of 3 different types in this style; 'standard' is medium-aggressive, and 'open comb' is top end of medium-aggressive'). In fact, I am open to any of these depending is one is suited better for neck shaving. @ $92 CAD
  • Leaf Twig (a SE that uses half DE blades, unsure of the aggressiveness, however I do know they also have a thorn which is more aggressive) @ $80 CAD
Now, because I have only used a double edge a few times, I am very unfamiliar on what sort of aggressiveness/efficiency I like. I will say that my neck stubble is leaning on the thicker side, and it takes many passes to feel smooth with my double (however, this could also be subject to technique). I would say that in terms of skin sensitivity, I have normal but leaning sensitive skin on my neck.

Any thoughts/opinions/advice? Thank you so much in advance, I look forward to hearing from you!

I can't really help but state that I like my Twig razor. I'm the opposite in that I've always been clean shaven. In Dec I decided to grow a full beard. I cut the beard down to a Van Dyke about a week and a half ago. The small head on the Twig was really handy to clean up around the soul patch part and under my lips.

Keep in mind that the AC blades are wider and might be less maneuverable. I've also seen a few people who didn't like the ECO (not rigid enough clamping maybe?).

I think its going to have to be the get one try it adjust and repeat till ya find what ya like

I do hear many folks not like the single edge that use half a regular blade and prefer the artist blades if that helps :)

I might say the hawk at least has a OC and two levels of plates so you can get those and see what you like for a more aggressive and a more mild and a OC to get an idea and adjust from there :)

best of luck though :)

I think its going to have to be the get one try it adjust and repeat till ya find what ya like

I do hear many folks not like the single edge that use half a regular blade and prefer the artist blades if that helps :)

I might say the hawk at least has a OC and two levels of plates so you can get those and see what you like for a more aggressive and a more mild and a OC to get an idea and adjust from there :)

best of luck though :)
Thank you for the reply. You may be right, however, I do want to try and save some coin and not buy additional razors if it's not needed.

May I ask why people don't like razors that take half DE blades?

The SE blades are thicker and are less likely to flex or chatter because of the extra stiffness. The Twig has good clamping in my opinion and does not suffer from this problem. An AC or GEM or injector will have the built in rigidness advantage right from the start. I have both the Twig and Leaf razors that take half DE and have not had a problem.

Don’t screw around: Get a Schick injector, perhaps an E, G or J. Nothing easier to use, perfect shave everytime. Use only the Schick blades in the yellow package (Chicks).
May I ask why you suggest this? What makes the Schick injector superior?!

The injector is fantastic. Not sure it is any better than an AC razor.

My suggestion would be the Colonial General. Takes AC blades. Load it up with a Schick Proline or a Kai Mild PINK blade and enjoy.

Thank you for the reply. You may be right, however, I do want to try and save some coin and not buy additional razors if it's not needed.

Ditto Borwish response above on why

oh and welcome :) if you stick around etc... the buy and sell here is a great resource and also buying used selling used you really barely loose anything and just takes some time to try and find what you like and IMHO for how much and how long we use razors its well worth it because its amazing how comfy the proper razor can be :)

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Welcome to B&B. Just my 2 cents, but I'd echo the recommendation for an injector especially if it is to be used exclusively on the neck. You aren't getting what you want from a DE, no reason to think having to snap them in half will improve the shave. I use all the formats regularly (save the snap-in-half stuff), and find the Schick to be best on the neck. My thought is the true injector is the narrowest blade of the SE formats - so it can go across E-W without the edges digging in around the Adams' Apple. And has been just pointed out, it is likely the cheapest to grab & experiment with ..

Last edited:
Injectors are good performers and inexpensive to obtain. I tend to like the AC razors better. I don’t have any of the razors on your list so can’t help you there. The 3 that I have are all great shavers….Vector, X1, and General….if you’re looking for any alternatives.

May I ask why you suggest this? What makes the Schick injector superior?!
Schicks are boringly efficient. They are the same width as your DE and the 1/2 DE razors, and are about as worry free as you can get.

Regarding the Artist Club razors, I would suggest the RR Hawk A plate, if you like blade feel, the plain Hawk V2, if not. I realize you may not know at this point. The A plate is likely to leave you with a few nicks & weepers until you get the hang of it. It will let you know when you have the optimal angle & level of pressure. The V2 is more forgiving, meaning basically a touch less blade feel. I have enjoyed both, but preferred the A plate as I like more blade feel.

I have not used the Eco (but have used other 1/2 DE razors) or the Twig.

The Schick is a very modest & comfortable investment. The Hawks are very modest modern SS razor investment and clear more surface in a single pass more efficiently.

Schicks are boringly efficient. They are the same width as your DE and the 1/2 DE razors, and are about as worry free as you can get.

Regarding the Artist Club razors, I would suggest the RR Hawk A plate, if you like blade feel, the plain Hawk V2, if not. I realize you may not know at this point. The A plate is likely to leave you with a few nicks & weepers until you get the hang of it. It will let you know when you have the optimal angle & level of pressure. The V2 is more forgiving, meaning basically a touch less blade feel. I have enjoyed both, but preferred the A plate as I like more blade feel.

I have not used the Eco (but have used other 1/2 DE razors) or the Twig.

The Schick is a very modest & comfortable investment. The Hawks are very modest modern SS razor investment and clear more surface in a single pass more efficiently.
When you say blade feel, do you mean literally feeling it scraping across your skin, versus a non-blade feel where you go over the skin and the hair is just gone?

Of the list presented I would suggest Hawk V2 or Hawk V3 A. But if you were going for AC style SE, I would consider a Blackland Vector over either Hawk for the neck line. As also recommended above, injectors are an excellent option. I use to shave exclusively with AC SE razors but the injector format has displaced AC for the most part.

Of the list presented I would suggest Hawk V2 or Hawk V3 A. But if you were going for AC style SE, I would consider a Blackland Vector over either Hawk for the neck line. As also recommended above, injectors are an excellent option. I use to shave exclusively with AC SE razors but the injector format has displaced AC for the most part.
I can't justify the price of the Blackland Vector, espcially as a beginner. Although, it is such a beautiful razor. Have you tried either the Hawk V2 or Hawk V3 A, if so, would you be kind enough to explain the difference?

Where do you purchase injectors?

When you say blade feel, do you mean literally feeling it scraping across your skin, versus a non-blade feel where you go over the skin and the hair is just gone?
To both questions, Schick has different models, with slightly different blade exposures.

Regarding blade-feel, with razors having higher blade-feel (e.g., more "aggressive") you will feel the "squeegie" effect of the blade. Low blade-feel razors (SuperSpeed, Tech), have you feeling the guard & cap & hair (largely) disappears.

I can't justify the price of the Blackland Vector, espcially as a beginner. Although, it is such a beautiful razor. Have you tried either the Hawk V2 or Hawk V3 A, if so, would you be kind enough to explain the difference?

Where do you purchase injectors?
I shaved with the Hawk V2, Hawk V3 OC, and Hawk V3 Standard, but not the A. In my experience the Hawk V2 is milder but does allow for a broader angle of attack. The Hawk V3 Standard was a smoother shaver, slightly more efficient, and better built, but had a narrow range of effective shaving angle. The OC was a bit rougher shaver with more efficiency yet. My sense from others is the A is in between the Standard and OC.

A handful of modern injectors are out there but for the ones mentioned above it is vintage purchases on ebay, BSTs, and some Etsy shops. There are many threads delving into each model (E, I, J, etc which is essentially an arbitrary designation by individuals that started cataloguing the history of the injector and how to identify each variant)

Top Bottom