What's new

Trying to justify Feathers

Feather give me the closest and most irritation free shave I have experienced. Im new to this about one month but so far I have tried:
Derby
7o'clock blacks
person blue/red
bic
astra
feather

The only one that comes close is the astra which is a fraction of the cost but it does irritate my face slightly more than the feather. I want to buy a 100 pack but can't seem to justify the feathers when I can get 100 astras for less than $10. Maybe I just need a push in one direction after all we are all in this to save money right....:biggrin1:

Here you go:

contact "dridiot" a member here who sells Feathers for the best price. You will get 100 blades for about $27 shipped.

its your face man, get what works best. even at Feather prices you are still quite ahead of the saving game compared to cartirdges

definitely buy them if they work best for you. if you want justification just go to wally world or drug store and check
out the prices on the latest and greatest cartridge razors. simply amazing.

Have you tried the persona labs / meds ? I find these give a comparable shave to a feather blade and depending on your geographic location can be had for less than the feathers.

100 Feathers cost ~$40 at most online retailers. You can get them cheaper at other places, but we'll use that as a comparison.

16 Fusion cartridges from Sam's Club cost $40.

Infinitely better deal.

Also, don't confuse your shaving hobby with your actual shaving. You will always save money each year from traditional wetshaving.

Your shaving hobby however, can result in some major losses each year.

I never had good luck with Feathers (rough at first, don't last).

I will second Kiwi_Tom's Personna suggestion. Go to a very popular online auction site and do a search and you will find them delivered for $12.99.

I used one this morning in an R41 with a Tradere handle, and it was smooth smooth smooth.

P.S. But if Feathers work for you, by all means buy them. I was at Target today and I can't recall which cartridge it was, but it was around 17 bucks for FOUR of 'em.

Now to throw everyone a curveball. I only have one razor Edwin Jagger DE89L which is very mild from what I understand and I can smell a bad case of me wanting to collect different razors. I have a pretty course beard so I have been looking at the R41 or the Slant but these will be distant purchases. But what will be my favorite blade with a new razor hmmmmm. Do most of you find that you're favorite blade works with all or most of you're razors?

A Feather with a slant is a very good combo. A Feather in the 2011 R41 gives me too much irritation; I need a blade that is smoother like a Personna Medical Prep or a Polsilver.

It's always YMMV--no matter what any individual says happens to be his favorite combo--and most people will answer that different blades tend to perform differently in different razors. A blade that doesn't work well for you in your EJ89 might work very well for you in another razor.

It's always YMMV--no matter what any individual says happens to be his favorite combo--and most people will answer that different blades tend to perform differently in different razors. A blade that doesn't work well for you in your EJ89 might work very well for you in another razor.

Yes, that is what I was afraid of ,maybes i shuold try a few more razors before my 100 pack purchase but I have feeling that fethres. Will conquer all.

maybes i shuold try a few more razors before my 100 pack purchase

That's a good idea. After all, 100 blades will last a while. Even 10 blades will last a couple months if you're trying out others in between Feathers. 7 O'clock blues, Personna Labs, and Perma Sharp Supers are some possibilities that you might try.

Now to throw everyone a curveball. I only have one razor Edwin Jagger DE89L which is very mild from what I understand and I can smell a bad case of me wanting to collect different razors. I have a pretty course beard so I have been looking at the R41 or the Slant but these will be distant purchases. But what will be my favorite blade with a new razor hmmmmm. Do most of you find that you're favorite blade works with all or most of you're razors?

For me, yes. The biggest difference I have noticed is longevity. In some razors my favorite last 3 shaves and in others 7.

They ran an article in our regional newspaper last year about cartridge razors and canned foam and their cost, and a local barber wrote a section about brushes, soap, creams and DE, demonstrating that over ones lifetime one can save several thousand £ and have less environmental impact, plus have less chemicals in the shaving products. They then had a run on people buying shaving related items from them.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Before you read on realize that nothing's too good for me. OK: if you have the money get what works. Or, how much is a little razor burn worth to you?

Top Bottom