What's new

Trying to justify Feathers

Feather give me the closest and most irritation free shave I have experienced...
The title of your post... just became redundant.

Still need a push? Astra SP, mediocrity for cheap. Astra SP, good value. I have 600 of them so I know.
I always reach for the Feathers first and get most satisfaction when shaving with them. Well worth the money.

I found Feathers to be a nice match in a de89 and even more so in a slant. I think Feathers can be regularly had for under $30/100 shipped on Amazon

Also, don't confuse your shaving hobby with your actual shaving. You will always save money each year from traditional wetshaving.

This is great advice. One could potentially change blades with every shave and still come out ahead.

There is no blade that is unanimously considered superior to all other available blades but my impression is that there are more posters who unhesitatingly claim the Feather as THE BEST, than any other brand.

It seems that the other highly regarded blades (Personna Med. Astra SP, 7 O'clock Black, Super Iridium, etc.) aren't typically recoginized as definitively as the Feather.

I use a variety of blades but the Feather, although not perfect, outperforms the others I've tried.

There is no blade that is unanimously considered superior to all other available blades but my impression is that there are more posters who unhesitatingly claim the Feather as THE BEST, than any other brand.

It seems that the other highly regarded blades (Personna Med. Astra SP, 7 O'clock Black, Super Iridium, etc.) aren't typically recoginized as definitively as the Feather.

I use a variety of blades but the Feather, although not perfect, outperforms the others I've tried.

Bingo

Funny how people move from cartridge shaving to DE due to the cost and then try to justify the cost of various DE blades but I do understand why - we all want best value and why not! :biggrin1: Sometimes too much choice can be a bad thing with the amount of DE blades out there too!

Even the most expensive blade is far cheaper than the latest Gillette/Wilkinson 'x' bladed device (even saw a 6 bladed Wilky in Sainsbury's recently!). If the Feather is better then use it. You could try and extend its life by cleaning the blade after use and storing in oil or rubbing alcohol http://www.wikihow.com/Prevent-Razor-Burn

Ordinarily I would say get a good sampler pack and try others but If you're getting great shaves, treat yourself right and get the Feathers. Pick up a 100 Astras while you're at it; it's only $10.
I agree with AABCDS and others, get a Slant. For me, the Slant with Feather blades gives the best shave.

100 Feathers cost ~$40 at most online retailers. You can get them cheaper at other places, but we'll use that as a comparison.

16 Fusion cartridges from Sam's Club cost $40.

Infinitely better deal.

Also, don't confuse your shaving hobby with your actual shaving. You will always save money each year from traditional wetshaving.

Your shaving hobby however, can result in some major losses each year.

I don't like feathers so that's why I find them overpriced....but it is funny how we talk about overpriced blades when we mostly came from these crazy expensive cart prices.

When I purchased my EJDE89L it came with a 5 pack of Derby blades, I used them for a while and decided to buy a sampler pack of 6 different blade manufactures. I loaded up the Feather right away and being a newbie i immediately noticed that that blade was the right blade for me. I went from spending $40 bucks a month on carts and crappy goop in a can, so your 30-40 bucks for 100 blades, well my friend its money well spent for a great shave!

I got the Astras...5 great shaves per blade. I got the Feathers.....9 great shaves per blade. I start Monday with Astra , go to Friday. Sat. morn I go Feather
And go all week plus weekend then back to Astra Mon. 9 days later. I like em'!!

Feather give me the closest and most irritation free shave I have experienced.
I want to buy a 100 pack but can't seem to justify the feathers when I can get 100 astras for less than $10.
First quote is justification enough for me. YMMV.

If price matters more to you then do what you have to do. I can easily find 100 Feathers for <$30. <$0.30/blade isn't a dealbreaker for me but, again, YMMV. Justification isn't a one-size-fits-all thing for various reasons.

Here you go:

contact "dridiot" a member here who sells Feathers for the best price. You will get 100 blades for about $27 shipped.

... which is more than 3 times the current best price for Astras. It still comes down to a value judgement. Sorry, LMT, but you're the only one who decide what "value" means to you.

Top Bottom