What's new

trying to help a friend...

so the other day I was out with some friends and one of our girl friends says to one of our guy friends that he needs to shave, then he starts going on about razors and how they cost so much and how he gets razor burn...blah blah blah

Here's the thing I've told him that I've been shaving like a man recently, how it's healthier, much much cheaper, and much more comfortable...

so I told him again, I say, "dude, you know what you gotta do. get a double edge razor for $30 and you can buy 2 years worth of razors for $15! plus you can shave everyday without razor burn"

He gives me the same "you're crazy, I'll cut myself" answer he always gives me, no matter how much I tell him he won't accept the fact that I only knick myself maybe once or twice a week and it's very very small. I don't understand his reasoning...he already cuts himself!

so now his birthday is coming up in a couple of weeks. should I just go out and get him a razor and a pack of blades? has anyone done this before? does this approach convert people?

It's your money, so if that's what you want to buy your friend, go for it. Will he accept and take to it? It is really hard to say. Each person is different. He may never try it, try it right away or set it up and try it when he's had enough...if he ever does.

He doesn't even have to spend $30 for a razor.

See if you can talk him into watching you shave. Put a fresh blade in there and guide him with how to shave a cheek or something. He'll go home and rub his face all day. (That's fun to watch, BTW).

If you can get him a cheap razor and some blades....go for it. My only concern is that it seems that most of us here (B&B) shave with a DE because we have a vested interest in the tradition. If you had approached me last year told me to start shaving with a safety razor I would have probably laughed at you. It took me generating my own interest by searching for shaving alternatives to finally take the plunge.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Talk NEVER works.

I talked to dozens and got the glassy eyed stare.

Then I started PIF'ing.

A Tech or Superspeed, a VDH Kit from Walmart for 8 bucks.

With PIF's I have an 80 percent conversion rate.

He may be telling you that he isn't interested because he doesn't want to let on that he doesn't know how to go about getting the stuff without help, and he is self conscious about asking for help.

Get a foot in the door with a PIF.

If he truly is your friend, then he's worth it.

If he's a guy you hang around with when you're bored - maybe not so much.

If one were able to pick up a DE and get great, close shaves straight away I would suggest simply buying a razor for your friend. As it does take a little learning, you might be better off involving him- do you have a spare razor that you could lend to him to try? Or as Rick suggests help him out by showing him the ropes.
It would be great if you could convert him....... some people are sadly difficult to convert.

Talk NEVER works.

I talked to dozens and got the glassy eyed stare.

Then I started PIF'ing.

A Tech or Superspeed, a VDH Kit from Walmart for 8 bucks.

With PIF's I have an 80 percent conversion rate.

He may be telling you that he isn't interested because he doesn't want to let on that he doesn't know how to go about getting the stuff without help, and he is self conscious about asking for help.

Get a foot in the door with a PIF.

If he truly is your friend, then he's worth it.

If he's a guy you hang around with when you're bored - maybe not so much.

I definitely get the "glassy eyed stare" and zero converts. May have to try GIVING them some gear, if they show ANY interest at all. I mentioned DE shaving to a buddy, thinking he would roll his eyes too, but he said "I liked those old razors, but I couldn't find blades". I set him up with a Slim!

I've told each and every guy I work with about the virtues of shaving with a DE. Now they just ignore me. Not one of them will take me up on the offer.

I say put it in his hands and see what happens.
Don't spend a lot of money, start with a SS and a few blades.

It sounds like your big selling point will be that he can reduce (if not eliminate) his razor burn.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
You can shave like a man!

proxy.php

I had a similar situation with one of my long time friends. He was the one who talked to me at work a couple years back about how he shaved "extra hard" to get a clean face for a first date (ie: lots of pressure with a cart).

I just gave him a VDH self-built kit, a Dollar General mug, a 5-pack of Derbys, and a 49/50 Milord to get him going. Time will tell if it gets used or if it ends up back in my hands.

G

GLteam

It's a little easier for me to 'convert' guys to DE shaving, beings I own and operate The Groom Room. It's much easier to talk with them about the benefits of DE's, over current shaving systems. Could you possibly get him to view some of Mantic's videos, or read the forum discussions here at B&B?

At The Groom Room, I'm here to coach them, and give them specialized attention when teaching guys to DE shave. We're even hosting our Shave Clinic in July, so the attendees can see an actual DE shave, the brushes, and all the 'goodies'. I'm in a 'Guy-Centric Grooming Barbershop & Salon', so talking about grooming is our day-to-day chat. Possibly let your friend see and know about others who are DE shaving (as above, through internet resources, etc...). Can you get him Leisure Guy's book about Gourmet Shaving?

Keep us posted as to your attempts, trials, and triumphs concerning your friend.

Try this ... tell him not to shave on Saturday morning, and you don't either.

Then, get together with him on Saturday afternoon with your shave gear (and his) for an in-person shaving lesson. Show him how easy it is. And then mentor him through his first DE shave.

We have our annual "guys week" coming up in a couple months at the cabin. I plan on taking some extra kit with me in the hope that some of the guys will get off the fence once they see the gear in the head, and see me shave like a man. :laugh:

It's your money, so if that's what you want to buy your friend, go for it. Will he accept and take to it? It is really hard to say. Each person is different. He may never try it, try it right away or set it up and try it when he's had enough...if he ever does.

He doesn't even have to spend $30 for a razor.

See if you can talk him into watching you shave. Put a fresh blade in there and guide him with how to shave a cheek or something. He'll go home and rub his face all day. (That's fun to watch, BTW).

I agree, it's your money. I tried this a few times with mixed results.

A birthday razor (a vintage gillette tech or superspeed) with some blades, a cheap brush and some soap and a few youtube links to Mantic's vids would entice your mate to give it a go..

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
A Tech from the BST - 15 dollars
VDH Soap from Walmart - 2 dollars
Shea Moisture Badger Brush from Target - 9 dollars
A mug from a thrift store - 1 dollar
Converting your friend to wetshaving so you have someone to obsess in person with - Priceless!

I managed to convert my boss, he happened to be in my office when a package came in for me. In it was a few vintage DE's and blades and what not. He asked what they were and I explained, I also had a copy of leisure guy's book that I loaned him and he read cover to cover. The following day he ended up back in my office to use my computer to order a Str8 set from classic shaving and a DE and sampler pack from amazon. I think he is totally hooked, we talk about shaving all the time. Since then he has talked to a few other coworkers about it as well.

Shawn

Top Bottom