What's new

Trying to fix my Gillette Slim Adjustable

I ordered a Gillette Slim last week from eBay and just received it today. The pics looked great, but apparently the seller only took pics at certain angles to hide a flaw. The center post that the blade actually sits on appears to be slightly bent. With the doors closed you can see that one door is closer to the post than the other. Also, the blade has slightly more exposure on one side than the other. Is it safe to carefully bend that center post to line everything up, and if so how should I proceed?

If this razor was presented as "without issues" and you spend much on it then I would consider returning it.

If you are set on trying to fix it, then carefully centering the center bar sounds like a reasonable approach.

" GREAT WORKING CONDTION!! DOORS OPEN SMOOTHLY AND NUMBERS CLICK AT ADJUSTMENT.." It technically meets the description lol. I managed to get it for a good price so I'd rather try to fix it. Would I just need to carefully bend the center bar with some pliers padded with cloth while everything is still assembled or should I take it apart? If I take it apart it would be harder to check on the progress of the adjustment.

I managed to get it for a good price so I'd rather try to fix it.

There is a disassembly thread here, but it doesn't sound like you need it.

In the meantime keep your eyes peeled in the B/S/T section for someone unloading a slim, just in case repair isn't going well. I have never found anything I bought off this site to be other than straight up and accurately described. Plus the prices are fair.

If you want to try to fix it, you've got to determine where it's actually bent. It may be the center bar but it may also be the baseplate or something else that's bent and knocking everything out of alignment. All the pieces are connected so anything that's bent affects everything else. If you go bending the bar and that's not the real problem, it'll make it worse. I've seen a couple bent up Gillette TTOs and on those, it was the baseplate that was bent. I guess from being dropped or something.

Once you find the bend, you've got to figure out the best way to get it back to straight. You may have to get a little creative there. Whether it's easier to fix when disassembled really depends on what's bent.

Yes personally I wound do it assembled. If you are lucky, than may be all it takes. May the force be with you.

It appears to be off just enough to make a good shave difficult. I'd guess less than 1mm, so hopefully it will go well.

There is a disassembly thread here, but it doesn't sound like you need it.

In the meantime keep your eyes peeled in the B/S/T section for someone unloading a slim, just in case repair isn't going well. I have never found anything I bought off this site to be other than straight up and accurately described. Plus the prices are fair.

I haven't seen the full thread, but I found a post pointing out how to unscrew the bottom with thin needle nose pliers. I should be able to leave the adjustment mechanism alone, so that should simplify matters if I end up disassembling.

I used to check the b/s/t forum regularly, but these particular razors (and the fat boys) seem to sell in a matter of minutes. I missed one great fat boy AND slim by a couple minutes a few weeks ago. I'll still keep an eye out on the forum but I guess I just got frustrated with my bad luck here and ended up settling for eBay (and had more bad luck there!).

I'll try to remember to take some pics tomorrow of the before and after to either document success or failure. Thanks for the help, guys.

And I just noticed the slim still for sale on the forum. Apparently I just got hasty with my purchase lol.

Does the post look bent or just the middle beam that the blade sits around? If it's the latter possible fix I can think of is to take a pair of vice grips with something to pad the jaws to prevent scratching the finish. Clanp the vice grips right above where it looks like the beginning of the bend, slowly bend it back. Take your time with small movements, don't want to over do the bend or it be bent the opposite way.

If the post is bent might be able to still grab it with vice grips. If you cannot see the actually bend visible above the head then it is probably inside the handle. +1 on the idea it might also be the base plate skewed from a previous drop. I had a super speed with that problem.

Good luck to you on your repairs. Don't get frustrated and get in a hurry. Take your time at identifying the problem and plan on how to correct it.

After more careful observation I think the middle beam and base plate are both slightly off. I was able to bend the middle post back top an acceptable positron without any tools, but when I put a blade in it appears that the left exposed edge is slightly lower on both sides. What's the general method for adjusting that base plate?

I tried to take some pics but the height difference is so small you can't even see it from the images. I played around with carefully bending the plate that actually adjusts the blade up and down and managed to straighten it up fairly well. I can barely notice the difference now and am afraid that any further adjustment will just lead me in the opposite direction. I plan on taking it for a test drive tomorrow, so I'll update on how everything goes.

Hey McGuyver!!!!:001_cool:
Amazing what a good eye, some focused attention, and opposable thumbs can do!!! Strong work dude - hope it shaves well for you. Ahhll be bahhkk:a14:

So I took this baby for a test drive today. Loaded in a Feather blade and started at 5 for WTG, 4 XTG, and 3 ATG. All I can say is...wow.... Ok, perhaps I can say a bit more. The shave was absolutely incredible. I felt absolutely no resistance/tugging after the first pass (I hadn't shaved in 3 days while working on this razor, so I had a decent amount of growth to get rid of). This razor definitely outperformed my Merkur Progress. I'm so looking forward to more great shave from this razor!

Thanks, everyone, for the suggestions. It was definitely worth the effort!

Interesting. This morning I shaved with my Mer-gress instead of the Slim that I normally use.

It is a tough choice. Both are keepers for sure.

Glad your Slim is in running order. These old beauties deserve to keep going another hundred years at least.

I have a slim that I picked up at an antique store for $5. Figured at that price I couldn't pass it up. After cleaning it up I realized the blade is lower just in the right hand corner on both sides. I haven't messed with it yet but after reading this I think I'll have another look at it and see if I can find the issue.

I have a slim that I picked up at an antique store for $5. Figured at that price I couldn't pass it up. After cleaning it up I realized the blade is lower just in the right hand corner on both sides. I haven't messed with it yet but after reading this I think I'll have another look at it and see if I can find the issue.

I used a steel rule with a fixed right angle to figure out exactly what was off on mine. It could either be the base plate or the portion that moves the blade when you make adjustments. One thing I learned is that very small adjustments make big difference in blade location, so start small. There is a thread on how to adjust the plate that moves the blade (not sure of it's proper name). It really is a fine piece of equipment when everything is lined up properly.

I used a steel rule with a fixed right angle to figure out exactly what was off on mine. It could either be the base plate or the portion that moves the blade when you make adjustments. One thing I learned is that very small adjustments make big difference in blade location, so start small. There is a thread on how to adjust the plate that moves the blade (not sure of it's proper name). It really is a fine piece of equipment when everything is lined up properly.

Thanks, the only thread I've found so far shows how to fix the alignment of the doors but not the "adjustment plate" or whatever it's called. I found it a bit odd that the right side is low on both sides when facing you. I figured if the right side was low on one side that when I turned it the left side would be low on the other. But for $5 if I can fix the alignment it's a good find.

Top Bottom