What's new

Trying to find my "old pen"

Many many years ago (probably in the neighborhood of 25 years ago) I had (I think) a Parker fountain pen (although it could have been a Scheaffer, medium nib.

I used it daily when I worked for the local Sheriff's Office, to write the log reports for over 7 years... I remember it was brass with some sort of (I think) enamel or very very tough paint, gold trim, and a 14 or 18K gold nib. I'm thinking the point was iridium or similar rare metal. I remember I bought it at the time at the recommendation of Consumer Reports as being the "smoothest" writing fountain pen that they had reviewed.

The styling was was I'd call "totally modern" or "ultra streamlined" It was not at *all* bulbous, and the diameter was close to that of a plain ballpoint pen. Perfectly parallel sides, flat ends on both the cap and barrel. The cap snapped on with an absolutely perfect "snap", and even with 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, 10 to 15 pages a day of logging with the pen, there wasn't a bit of wear on the outside of the barrel or any looseness in the cap or clip.

The tip of the nib, on the other hand, after close to a dozen bottles of ink, was worn about 25% of the way down, and fit my grip/angle perfectly.

To make a long story short, I was riding with a deputy after work one night, we got into a high-speed chase and ended up rolling the patrol car at about 60 MPH around a curve on a gravel road, flipping up 3 1/2 time... I lost my pen. (OK, after I knew I was alive and going to live, even before the ambulance arrived, I was trying to find my pen... I really loved that thing...) After I got out of the hospital and was finally able to more-or-less walk again after a few days, I went out to the field to try to locate the pen (my friend the deputy looked through the wreckage of the car and could no locate it.)

I've looked through a lot of pictures of pens and haven't been able to locate the pen or style, I doubt it's still made, as everything I've seen are all retro-styled pens, and absolutely not my taste in any way, shape or fashion... (except Lammy, which I just found my old safari back after 15 years of non-use, cleaned up and got some Noodler's 5'oclock shadow for it... It still works fine.)

I thought maybe someone here might know what model I'm talking about... I remember back 20 or 25 years ago it was well over $100, maybe even in the $150-$175 range... I just don't remember what I paid for it, and on a dispatcher's salary, I couldn't replace it at the time, hence the Lammy replacement at the time...

Any suggestions of particular models to Google for, I'd appreciate it.

By "not bulbous at all" I mean the sides were perfectly straight... Think the shape of a cigarette, just slightly longer and slightly bigger around. Absolutely "modern", "plain", "boring", "uninspired", "simple", and absolutely *my style"... I like the ultra old, and the ultra-modern... Anything in between doesn't do anything for me, in the least...

I'm a tech geek, computers/technology are my life, and my computer's sound system is hooked up through an antique tube amplifier. I love Formula-1, could care less about anything older than a 2002 Ferrari F-1 car, or anything newer than a Model T. "classic muscle cars", I'd only own one long enough to sell it... just don't care at ALL.

That pen combined the best of old and new for me.

Last edited:
Sheaffer Targa?

$sheaffer.targa.pair.jpg

I have both the Parker 88 Place Vendome and Rialto and I love them. I recently purchased a Paker IM and noticed that the nib and feel was similar to the 88 and Rialto. The IM grip section diameter is similar, too. The IM is a bit heftier but if you are having touble finding the 88 or Rialto this might be a viable alternative. Reviews on Amazon are all over the place but I have had good luck with mine. My medium nib runs on the finer side.

I got my Rialto for $40 if I remember right. Great writer, I have been using it a lot lately. Mine is in Navy and loaded with the Benevolent Blue LE ink. Great combo.

I have both the Parker 88 Place Vendome and Rialto and I love them. I recently purchased a Paker IM and noticed that the nib and feel was similar to the 88 and Rialto. The IM grip section diameter is similar, too. The IM is a bit heftier but if you are having touble finding the 88 or Rialto this might be a viable alternative. Reviews on Amazon are all over the place but I have had good luck with mine. My medium nib runs on the finer side.

Thanks for the tip on the IM, but I was actually able to find a P.V. for $60 and have it ordered. I ended up with the same matte blue as my original :)

I appreciate everyone's help!

Congrats. I like seeing stories like this where someone is able to find what they or their father (etc) had years ago and replace it.

Top Bottom