What's new

Trying to find a good blade for my Dart razor

Ratso

Mr. Obvious
I’ve had my Dart razor for quite a while and can’t seem to get a very comfortable shave with it. I’ve tried numerous blades and am still in search of that perfect marriage between the Dart and a DE blade. I can get close shaves easy enough. They just aren’t smooth and comfortable especially for my neck. It’s a heck of a well made razor and I’d sure like to love it, but so far it ain’t gonna happen.

Are you sure its the blade and not the shave angle on the razor ?

Try using the Dart by riding the guard and not the usual angle with other razors. Start almost parallel to the skin and lift it till you feel it smoothen out. The normal angle with the Dart is pretty aggresive.

Ratso

Mr. Obvious
Why not go with the blades he ships with, Personna Med Prep? They are slightly narrower than other blades and very sharp.
I don’t remember if I tried blades that came with the razor it’s been so long since I bought it. I’ll have to check the box it came in to see what’s in there. I do have some med preps I can try. I keep data on all my shaves. When I have time I’ll check to see what blades I’ve tried.

Ratso

Mr. Obvious
Are you sure its the blade and not the shave angle on the razor ?

Try using the Dart by riding the guard and not the usual angle with other razors. Start almost parallel to the skin and lift it till you feel it smoothen out. The normal angle with the Dart is pretty aggresive.
I’ll give that a try after I shave my full beard back to a goatee. This coming Sunday.

I don’t remember if I tried blades that came with the razor it’s been so long since I bought it. I’ll have to check the box it came in to see what’s in there. I do have some med preps I can try. I keep data on all my shaves. When I have time I’ll check to see what blades I’ve tried.
Fwiw, they’re technically lab blues. That said, they are very close to med preps.

And, yeah, the dart is one of the most aggressive razors I’ve ever owned. You must ride the guard and pay very close attention.

Ratso

Mr. Obvious
Fwiw, they’re technically lab blues. That said, they are very close to med preps.

And, yeah, the dart is one of the most aggressive razors I’ve ever owned. You must ride the guard and pay very close attention.
I dug out my Dart and yep you’re right. It came with Lab Blues. Plain white wrapper and had Personna Super printed on the blade. My Med Preps have a blue and white wrapper. The blade is etched for hospital use.

I use Israeli Personna Red blades in mine. I get plenty of blade feel but no harshness. It's the DE I use most often, but I have others that are smoother but slightly less efficient like the Muhle Rocca and Edwin Jagee 3one6.

Do try everything you can think of, but there are bound to be razors that simply are not a good match for your face.

Yep!! For me, ‘aggressive’ razors just do not work as well as ‘mild/moderate’ razors. Then I ’balance’ the mild/moderate razor with a sharp blade. In the end there is no substitute for just trying things yourself!

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Gillette 7 o'clock Super Platinum/Black
My favorite for having both cushioning and sharpness.
Voshkod is very mild, but not as sharp.

Eben Stone

Staff member
It's possible that other people's success/failure with the Dart could be related to their experience/lack of experience with aggressive razors.

I migrated from R41 to iKon Tek to Dart. For me shaving with the Dart felt like a breath of fresh air. I enjoyed the shave with the Dart so much that I got two of them. IMO the Dart is noticeably more efficient than the Tek, and the Tek ain't no slouch.

How many shaves with the Dart?

R

romsitsa

It’s not the blade choice, the head of the Dart clamps the blade in the back leaving a lot of room for blade flex. Combined with the massive weight it needs a lot of attention.

Ratso

Mr. Obvious
It's possible that other people's success/failure with the Dart could be related to their experience/lack of experience with aggressive razors.

I migrated from R41 to iKon Tek to Dart. For me shaving with the Dart felt like a breath of fresh air. I enjoyed the shave with the Dart so much that I got two of them. IMO the Dart is noticeably more efficient than the Tek, and the Tek ain't no slouch.

How many shaves with the Dart?
I’m sure I have over 20 shaves with the Dart. I tried a new to me blade that worked well in three different razors. The Lord Extra. I got the same results as with other blades. So back in the box it goes until I get the itch to try another blade. I guess Corley and Musicman1951 are correct. The Dart isn’t for me and it’s time to move on. Too bad. It’s a great looking razor at a fair price. I’ll have my son give it a try.

Top Bottom