What's new

Trying to dive back in

I used to be into this world but as I've gotten older I've let my body go. Looking to get back into this world. Last time I was active was back when everybody stuck to the 3Ts and Proraso. The number of artisanal shaving creams and soaps is daunting now.

I really want to try the lanolin and tallow soaps; looking at MWF, Wholly Caw and Haslinger. Any recs and is there any way to know if I'm allergic to lanolin?

Don't let the numbers overwhelm you, you only need one of them to get the job done.

SHAVING PRODUCT COMPANIES

Arko (Turkey)
Badger & Blade (USA)
Barbershop (USA)
Barrister And Mann (Hartwick, New York, USA)
Captain's Choice
Catie's Bubbles (Forked River, New Jersey, USA)
Cella (Italy)
Clubman Pinaud
Combe Incorporated (USA) Product: Aqua Velva
Fine Accoutrements
Gillette (Boston, Massachusetts, USA)
Henri Et Victoria (Gatineau, Quebec J9J 0B2, Canada)
Knightsbridge (East London, England)
Lea (Vitoria, Spain)
Mike's Natural Soaps
Mitchell's (Bradford, England)
Nivea (Hamburg, Germany)
Omega (Italy)
Osma (France)
Palmolive (USA)
Parker Safety Razor (India)
Pré de Provence (La Mure, France)
Proraso (Italy)
RazoRock (Italy)
Rocky Mountain Barber Company (Niagara Falls, On L2G 7K3, Canada)
Semogue (Portugal)
Simpson (England)
Speick (Germany) pronounced Schpike
Stirling Soap Company (USA)
Tabac (Germany)
Taconic (New York, USA)
Taylor of Old Bond Street (England)
The Real Shaving Co. (England)
Van Der Hagen (USA)
West Coast Shaving or WCS (USA) www.westcoastshaving.com/
Williams (White Plains, New York, USA)

I really want to try the lanolin and tallow soaps; looking at MWF, Wholly Caw and Haslinger. Any recs and is there any way to know if I'm allergic to lanolin?
A true allergy to lanolin is fairly rare. Some people are irritated by it, though. Most skin reactions people have to shaving products come from the fragrance or essential oils.

If you are prone to allergies, it might be good to start with an unscented soap. You could order samples from Stirling Soap Company. They have an unscented soap with lanolin and tallow called Sheep. They have another unscented soap without lanolin called Unscented with Beeswax. Stirling samples are generous in size, 20-30 grams, and cost $3.50 each.

BTW, even though Haslinger shaving soaps are not tallow-based any more, they are still excellent. They have a soap called Sensitive which is intended for people who easily get skin irritation. Their Schafmilch soap with sheep's milk and lanolin is outstanding, similar to MWF, but easier to lather.

Welcome back! I have made a return in the past week or so as well from many years of being off the grid in the wet shaving community. I remember the 3T's and Proraso days as well. I have fond memories of Skin Food, Corn Huskers lotion, and contentious threads about "Method Shaving" :)

The best part is when I started off in this community I was just a college student but I now I actually have the money (and justification) to enjoy some of the better products I couldn't before (Castle Forbes and a Kent shaving brush are on the top of my list).

Welcome back, it’s a great time for traditional shaving the soaps and razors available range from classic awesome to unbelievable new. The reformulated Haslinger (no tallow) is great. Murphy and McNeil, an artisan has great soaps if you want a little nudge down the rabbit hole. Enjoy the adventure, it makes shaving soooooo much better.

I think large amounts of lanolin might impact me because I tried MWF for the first time yesterday, and I had pretty bad irritation (probably between the lanolin and the terrible dissipating lather). Personally, I would avoid MWF. Wholly Kaw (I have an older vegan base) and Haslinger (Schafmilch) have worked great for me along with many other artisans.

Top Bottom