What's new

Trying to determine a date for this hallmarked silver boxed Single Ring set.

I acquired this sterling silver boxed single ring set a year or so ago. I believe the hallmarks represent the silversmith Henry Mathews, Birmingham England. Not sure about the date hallmark also the Z hallmark is a mystery. 1905 is a little shield with a lower case f so does a small shield with lower case m on this case designate 1912? The top of the baseplate is stamped with the Gillette diamond/Known the World Over. Serial number on the outside tube is E154920. Can anyone provide more info on dates or hallmarks?
IMG_0031.JPG
IMG_0033.JPG
IMG_0035.JPG
Silver Marks.jpg
Silver Marks2.jpg
IMG_0034.JPG

I think I remember the anchor is a london mark..its been a long time tho.
Congratulations on a nice set.

Edit.. found this link.

R

romsitsa

Hello, M should be 1907 or 1927. While 1907 matches the Gillette script it doesn't really match the high serial and diamond emblem.
1927 is in theory too far away from the closing down of Leicester, but it's a custom case, so could have been made even today.
Z is most likely the mark of the silversmith who actually made the case.

R

romsitsa

Hello, M should be 1907 or 1927. While 1907 matches the Gillette script it doesn't really match the high serial and diamond emblem.
1927 is in theory too far away from the closing down of Leicester, but it's a custom case, so could have been made even today.
Z is most likely the mark of the silversmith who actually made the case.

Sorry, got confused, in Birmingham "m" stood for 1911, this sounds more period correct, imho.

Ah, yes that clears it up nicely. I think I will gently remove the padded lining in the top of the case and work out the small dents with a soft cloth wrapped around a spoon. Thankfully none are creased. The one in the front under the latch looks more difficult to remedy so I will probably leave it alone.

Top Bottom