What's new

Trying Tabac shaving soap for the first time

I just received my puck of Tabac shaving soap.
Smelled it and don't dislike nor love the scent.
Eager to try it I will first lather it and shave with it tomorrow.

I will join All tabac lovers in the house

Well then congrats my friend. Not to discourage you though, I hated the performance. The smell was amazing to me but the performance the first time around was a nightmare as i experienced resistance to my blade which caused redness and bumps. I decided to give it another shot though because I loved the scent but again, I was equally disappointed! In fact, I now have the intention to trade it in for something else.

I personally love the scent some say thenough scent grows on them, performance of Tabac soap is top notch , one of the best soaps I have ever used ,

Well then congrats my friend. Not to discourage you though, I hated the performance. The smell was amazing to me but the performance the first time around was a nightmare as i experienced resistance to my blade which caused redness and bumps. I decided to give it another shot though because I loved the scent but again, I was equally disappointed! In fact, I now have the intention to trade it in for something else.
Was it the lather or some allergy to an ingredient?

I have the same experience with jabonman's new premium GEA shaving soap even do everyone seems to love it

Tabac is as good or better than everything I have tried. It lathers effortlessly. It can deal with water well. And the scent? Well, thats personal, but I accustomed to it and barely notice it.

Tabac Original Aftershave has been my "Happy days & holidays" aftershave for 11 years, so I was looking forward to trying out the shaving soap.
I tried out my Tabac Original shaving stick for the first time last week and loved it. The large plastic container is very practical and the screw top is very user friendly.
It lathers easily, it's nice and slick with plenty of protection. My face felt smooth and supple afterwards.
The scent definitely has the same DNA as the aftershave, but is entirely different. It's nice and "soapy", which is something I like in any shaving soap.
It's spicy and bittersweet too, but I can't put my finger on the exact scent, all I know is that it's a keeper.

See the thing is, the lather that it provided was amazing. No problem at all at that front. When it comes to slickness though, it was horrible. So much so that it left my face dry and dehydrated. It could have been due to water, or simply my lathering technique. Regardless, my personal findings were that this soap did not measure up to its reputation nor price. The scent though is extremely majestic and it exudes tremendous elegance. Too bad it didn't comply with my skin type.

See the thing is, the lather that it provided was amazing. No problem at all at that front. When it comes to slickness though, it was horrible. So much so that it left my face dry and dehydrated. It could have been due to water, or simply my lathering technique. Regardless, my personal findings were that this soap did not measure up to its reputation nor price. The scent though is extremely majestic and it exudes tremendous elegance. Too bad it didn't comply with my skin type.
Unfortunate experience...if you can, I'd recommend giving it another chance. If you can "dial it in" it will certainly be worth the effort...but not if it irritates or causes bloodshed...your call, obviously.

Now [ahem]...about the scent..."majestic"? Great description! :laugh:

Sorry! Suggest you give this one a few more tries. It may take awhile to figure out the right water ratio, etc. worth the effort IMO!

Haha I guess this is one of those YMMV matters lol what is considered majestic by some might be considered mediocre by others. Needless to say, I think you're right about giving it another shot. Who knows, it just might become my all time favorite soap :straight:

Tried it for the first time.
Easy to lather. In fact amazing creamy and dense lather.
Easy to load and the scent is not that strong in the lather.
Not very slick however I had a very close shave with no nicks or irritation and an amazing post shave feel.

Loved it but I will try with some drops of glycerin.
I still love MWF more but this Is a perfect soap for the morning because it is so easy to lather

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Tried it for the first time.
Easy to lather. In fact amazing creamy and dense lather.
Easy to load and the scent is not that strong in the lather.
Not very slick however I had a very close shave with no nicks or irritation and an amazing post shave feel.

Loved it but I will try with some drops of glycerin.
I still love MWF more but this Is a perfect soap for the morning because it is so easy to lather

Try adding a bit more water in the search for slick.

Top Bottom