What's new

Trying some new soaps!

So today I had a package arrive from Maggard Razors. It included 3 soaps I have been wanting to try since I got into this new hobby of mine. I received Catie's Bubbles - LPV, RazoRock - XXX and Soap Commander - Purpose.

I like to do test lathers on my hand when I get a new soap so I can make sure I can get a good lather, so I know how much water they can take, and that nothing in the soap will irritate my skin.

All three soaps were great. I can't wait to actually get a shave in with them. They all lathered super easy, and were able to take in a good deal of water before the lather began to break down. Far more water than I would ever add.

I've also been working through a couple samples from Stirling soaps as well. I have had great success with them as well.

I feel like I'm on soap overload!
Any other brands that you think are "staples" that I should try out?

Thanks!

Mike's Natural Soaps! Just pick a scent that you think sounds good and go for it. It will probably take 1-2 weeks for Mike to fill the order as it's a one man show and a popular soap, but it's worth the wait. Specific scents may be out of stock, but will come back around again. Outstanding performance and great scents/strength.

Shannon's Soaps. This one doesn't seem to get a lot of posts, but it's a really good performing soap with nice mild scents(at least the ones I've tried). This soap is really easy to lather and and offers plenty of slickness.

Mystic Water Soap. This soap can be difficult for some people to lather, but if you can get it dialed in, you will be rewarded with a slick, great performing lather. Michelle has some outstanding scents for her soaps and she offers outstanding personal customer service.

Now, just lurck around the Shaving Soap forum and pretty soon you'll have more soaps than you could have ever imagined! Have fun and enjoy your shaves!

There is a long list which could be added here :) I agree with Blade4vor choices above but I would recommend over all others Cold River Soap Works. However I am also a big fan of:

Barrister and Mann
Dapper Dragon Tallow
Reef Point Soaps

Staples? Wow, that could be a HUGE list as everyone does love some soap! How about the traditionals... MWF, Tabac, Arko, et al, plus one always in my rotation, Mystic Water.

Artisan: Shannon's Soaps; Barrister & Mann; Mike's; Queen Charlotte.

Big names: Tabac, Cella, Haslinger, DR Harris, just to name a few.

so so many brands.....my head is spinning.... the list is endless but here are a few that I have tried and enjoy :
any scent of the following:
TSD soaps
Reef Point
Ginger's Garden
Catties Bubbles
Soap Commander
Mitchells Wool Fat
Tabac
LEA Shaving Puck
Kell's Original
Razorock
Speick
Palmolive Stick
Sterlings
Mama Bears
Ogalalla
Taconic Shaving Soap
The Kraken
PDP no 63

If I had to pick one soap it would be TSD iced Polynesian red. they are so slick and they are one of the best soap/cream I have tried. I thought it was just hype so I waited before trying some, but once I did I fell in love but the other soaps on the list are all great as well IMO. soaps are a very YMMV subject. either performance wise or scent. everyone has their interpretation of what smells good which is why I like that a lot of vendors have a nice list of scents to choose from. there is something out there for everyone.

Give deluxe shaving cream (it's more of a soap) a try if you like Mystic water.... Scents are very clean like MW, but a bit easier to dial in.

Try those whose scent appeals to you.

We can only recommend which soaps work for us, and the scents we like.

When trying new soaps, try to use for a week straight. That will help you tune in the lathering, and you can see how you like the scent.

For me, I would recommend:
Tabac
Proraso
Geo F. Trumper
Truefitt & Hill
Dr. Harris
TOBS
Queen Charlotte Soaps
Barrister & Mann
Arko

Mike's Natural Soaps! Just pick a scent that you think sounds good and go for it. It will probably take 1-2 weeks for Mike to fill the order as it's a one man show and a popular soap, but it's worth the wait. Specific scents may be out of stock, but will come back around again. Outstanding performance and great scents/strength.

Shannon's Soaps. This one doesn't seem to get a lot of posts, but it's a really good performing soap with nice mild scents(at least the ones I've tried). This soap is really easy to lather and and offers plenty of slickness.

Mystic Water Soap. This soap can be difficult for some people to lather, but if you can get it dialed in, you will be rewarded with a slick, great performing lather. Michelle has some outstanding scents for her soaps and she offers outstanding personal customer service.

Now, just lurck around the Shaving Soap forum and pretty soon you'll have more soaps than you could have ever imagined! Have fun and enjoy your shaves!

+1 on MW and Mikes.

I feel like with every month goes by, there's another soaper added to my list. Certainly more than I could ever hope to use up in the next 2 years.

Top Bottom