What's new

Trying snuff

So I broke down, after all the curiosity from reading others experiences and seeing the really great sounding flavors out there, I picked up a small can of Peach sweet snuff, by the American Snuff Co.. The basics, from what I've gathered reading, is to just put a small amount in the webbing between thumb and finger, and sniff it fairly lightly, be ready to possibly sneeze, but other wise enjoy? Any way to gauge what a "small amount" would be? Or what a light sniff is? lol

I just ordered my first tin of snuff and should receive it in a week or two, perhaps the two of us can exchange "newbie notes" :thumbup1:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
That is about it. If you snort too heavy you won't do it again. Like you said, go light- you want it in your nose, not your sinuses.

I just ordered my first tin of snuff and should receive it in a week or two, perhaps the two of us can exchange "newbie notes" :thumbup1:

lol Sounds like a plan. What kind did you order?

That is about it. If you snort too heavy you won't do it again. Like you said, go light- you want it in your nose, not your sinuses.

Ok then, if that is all there is to it... piece of cake.. lol

On the recommendation of some veteran snuffers I went with Poschl, and chose their Alpina. I'm looking forward to trying some of the Fribourg and Treyer snuffs when I'm more experienced with it(if I like it that is).

I thought I'd never try snuff because I'm prone to migraines and thought it would just make things worse. After some research, I found out that I was entirely wrong on that matter. Some people actually use snuff as a way to combat migraines, partially due to the aroma of certain blends (i.e. lavender, peppermint, etc.). I don't use snuff that often, but I've found that the best way to do it is with a bullet.

You can get bullets for rather cheap on eBay. I use the glass ones with plastic tops. If you do use them, only fill it with about a days worth of snuff, otherwise it will dry out.

I'm actually snuffing some Hedges right now, which is probably my favorite snuff that I've tried so far. Apparently, it's considered really strong and big on the menthol, but I love the stuff for some strange reason.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
lol Sounds like a plan. What kind did you order?

Ok then, if that is all there is to it... piece of cake.. lol
Sniff lightly. If that is not enough, sniff a little harder. It is better to be a bit weak until you figure it out. The bright side is if you do it too light the tobacco remains on your hand and you have to do it again. If you do it to hard your eyes will water, your nose will burn, and you will sneeze up a storm. You will "get" it pretty quick.

I'm not sure how the canister you have dispenses the snuff, but if there is a little side hole, one solid tap on the snuffbox of your hand will be good for one nostril. If you have to actually pinch the snuff, ensure you have a "V" shaped space between your thumb and forefinger (i.e. index) when you pinch your thumb and forefinger together. You're not so much pinching the snuff as you are giving it a place to rest as you breathe it into your nose. Try it by pinching your fingers together tightly, and then rolling them back to make a "V" outline. You're not so much pinching snuff, as you are scooping. Inhale into one nostril. Take another scoop, and inhale into the other. It takes practice to not get it all over your nostrils. Most gentlemen carry a dark colored hanky in their pocket (emphasis on dark colored) to wipe their nose of any residue.

When you inhale snuff, just imagine you are smelling flowers. No one approaches a rose and sniffs violently. A nice gentle inhale, not too deep, will do the trick. Conversely, when you have a cold, you sniff violently to ensure that whatever is coming down your nostrils is placed deeper in your sinuses. You don't enjoy snuff with those kinds of sniffs.

No matter how magnificent your technique, you'll probably sneeze. And your nose will run. Just remember that even if your nose starts running, you don't need to snort it back up into the stratosphere. Dab your nose with your handkerchief. That's why you have one.

There are actually many ways to take snuff. Some people use their thumb and middle finger, as the gentleman in the linked video does. Also, snuff use ensures magnificent eyebrows, apparently, as well as personal enjoyment. He inhales quite forcefully, I might add. You will sneeze violently if you sniff as hard as he does. He's a seasoned snuffer though. A total pro.

Too bad we don't have a snuff taking smiley. :biggrin1:

http://youtu.be/Vw_ZL6nKUtI

Last edited:
I think I read that american snuffs are fairly fine and dry so might give you a hard time for your first few goes (I still struggle with WoS). If you find that its hard to enjoy it due to the snuff hitting your throat, don't give up! There are many enjoyable snuffs which are much courser and are easy as pie to use. Of course you may find the american snuff perfect for you, its one of those YMMV situations again.

In terms of amount I recommend taking a very small amount (half a pea? Maybe a little more) and work your way up until you find an amount you're comfortable with. It's all just about finding your own recipe for enjoyment, other than keeping snuff from your sinuses there's no right and wrong (although I'm sure there are people who snuff into their sinuses)

This guy has a technique which helps keep snuff from the back of your throat, doesn't work for me entirely but it helps. If you're having to ask yourself if it hit the back of your throat while snuffing, its not. You'll definitely know when it gets you!

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6hbfwARY0CA&desktop_uri=/watch?v=6hbfwARY0CA

Edit: Good Luck!

I'm not sure how the canister you have dispenses the snuff, but if there is a little side hole, one solid tap on the snuffbox of your hand will be good for one nostril. If you have to actually pinch the snuff, ensure you have a "V" shaped space between your thumb and forefinger (i.e. index) when you pinch your thumb and forefinger together. You're not so much pinching the snuff as you are giving it a place to rest as you breathe it into your nose. Try it by pinching your fingers together tightly, and then rolling them back to make a "V" outline. You're not so much pinching snuff, as you are scooping. Inhale into one nostril. Take another scoop, and inhale into the other. It takes practice to not get it all over your nostrils. Most gentlemen carry a dark colored hanky in their pocket (emphasis on dark colored) to wipe their nose of any residue.

When you inhale snuff, just imagine you are smelling flowers. No one approaches a rose and sniffs violently. A nice gentle inhale, not too deep, will do the trick. Conversely, when you have a cold, you sniff violently to ensure that whatever is coming down your nostrils is placed deeper in your sinuses. You don't enjoy snuff with those kinds of sniffs.

No matter how magnificent your technique, you'll probably sneeze. And your nose will run. Just remember that even if your nose starts running, you don't need to snort it back up into the stratosphere. Dab your nose with your handkerchief. That's why you have one.

There are actually many ways to take snuff. Some people use their thumb and middle finger, as the gentleman in the linked video does. Also, snuff use ensures magnificent eyebrows, apparently, as well as personal enjoyment. He inhales quite forcefully, I might add. You will sneeze violently if you sniff as hard as he does. He's a seasoned snuffer though. A total pro.

Too bad we don't have a snuff taking smiley. :biggrin1:

http://youtu.be/Vw_ZL6nKUtI

Wow, that guy is like pure gentleman awesomeness... he makes me wish my great great grandparents stayed in the old country.

Ok, thanks for the initial help and tips. I didn't do this for my pipe learning, but I am going to start a snuff journal, just for my own amusement, if nothing else.

I wish I started a journal when I started taking snuff a little bit ago. I will help you decide what you like and what you don't. Texture, moisture level and scents are all different. Although, nasal snuff are like blades, if there is one you don't like right off the bat, you might find you like it later down the road. Good luck!!

I wish I started a journal when I started taking snuff a little bit ago. I will help you decide what you like and what you don't. Texture, moisture level and scents are all different. Although, nasal snuff are like blades, if there is one you don't like right off the bat, you might find you like it later down the road. Good luck!!

I wish I had started one when I started up with the pipes... oh well, at least I thought of it for this one.. lol

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/381373-Snuff-Journey-of-the-Rat

Top Bottom