What's new

Trying out some new blades

So, after cleaning my Grandfathers medicine cabinet, I stumbled across a DE safety razor. I talked to him about it, and explained it was my Great grandfathers razor. My grandfather is my Mothers father, but my great grandpa, is my fathers grandpa. The razor had been passed around.
My great grandfather was the maker and designer of Olaf Rasmussen safety razors. I started using the razor about a year ago, and have been using cheap drug mart blades so far, but came across a sample pack on amazon. I am going to give them a shot. The sample pack consists of Personna, KAI, Feather, Gillette silver and blue, Gillette platinum, and Astra. I look forward to trying them out.
Anyone have personal suggestions?

So, after cleaning my Grandfathers medicine cabinet, I stumbled across a DE safety razor. I talked to him about it, and explained it was my Great grandfathers razor. My grandfather is my Mothers father, but my great grandpa, is my fathers grandpa. The razor had been passed around.
My great grandfather was the maker and designer of Olaf Rasmussen safety razors.
Was it an Olaf Rasmussen razor that you found? Pix please!

About the blades - Astra SP are my favourite, for smoothness and the price.

Sounds like a really great addition, just for the fact that it is part of your family history.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

That sample pack contains a very nice selection of blades. Any one of those will be a step up from the drug mart blades (although I've had good performance from locally obtained blades, too). Depending on how aggressive the razor is, Astras and Personnas are a great blades to start with.

Great story. Does your razor require a special key to take it apart? I recall a post on B&B some time ago about this razor being given to patients in a mental hospital and which needed a special key to take the blade out.

Great story. Does your razor require a special key to take it apart? I recall a post on B&B some time ago about this razor being given to patients in a mental hospital and which needed a special key to take the blade out.
No, my personal razor does not require a key, that is our safety razor, I use the surgical prep razor. I will show a picture of mine next to the pep razor. Notice the guards.
proxy.php
proxy.php

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Great sampler pack for sure. My 1st sampler had a bunch of dull and poor quality blades which almost made me give up DE shaving before I had even barely started... Cool razors, too!

Well,
I received my blades today. Wow! What a big difference a blade makes. My first good blade I started with Astra. It's like a hot knife through butter! I was very impressed!

No, my personal razor does not require a key, that is our safety razor, I use the surgical prep razor. I will show a picture of mine next to the pep razor. Notice the guards.
proxy.php
proxy.php

Great razors, I just picked up the Surgical Prep razor a few days ago. This has been one of my holy grail razors. I will shave with it later today. I didn't know about the other razor requiring the key. Thanks for the info; now I have another grail razor to look for. BTW, I'll be using a feather blade in my Olaf.

Top Bottom