What's new

Trying out new hair care method

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
For those who don't know, I have long hair, and the grey is setting in. I don't think I'm alone in that on these boards.

IMG_20210224_213515_edit_edit.jpg

It used to be mid brown...

For a few years now, I've been just using water rinses, with the occasional herbal tea rinse. No commercial shampoos. However, I've discovered online that black tea makes for a good hair rinse, and also dyes (well, stains) the hair to mask some of the grey. Yes, tea stained hair. I decided to give it a go, knowing a good clarifying shampoo will shift it if it doesn't work so well.

Today was the first day. Half a litre of water in an old camping cookpot. A tablespoon of loose black tea, and a table spoon of mixed dried herbs, brought to the boil and simmered for five minutes. Allowed to cool, strained, and a squirt of lemon juice added. I poured it on gradually, and took time to work it in, then "turbanned" it up in an old towel, and left it for 10 mins before towel drying, and brushing through with Kent bristle brushes.

Apparently it takes several applications for any noticeable colour shift, although it does seem slightly changed already. That may well be just my imagination though. However, the hair does feel quite good, irrespective of how slow any colour addition may be, so I'm going to stick with this for a while. Maybe once a week, maybe twice. I'll interspere with plain water rinses as I see fit.

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
Bravo for long hair @AimlessWanderer , I wore mine shoulder length for 4-5 years. Had it halfway down my back at one point. Finally got tired of taking care of it (unbelievable amount of work taking care of long hair!) and had it all shorn off a little over a year ago. Also it was starting to get pretty grey. Still kept the rebel attitude. Anyways, good for you sir, Keep on keepin on.....

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Bravo for long hair @AimlessWanderer , I wore mine shoulder length for 4-5 years. Had it halfway down my back at one point. Finally got tired of taking care of it (unbelievable amount of work taking care of long hair!) and had it all shorn off a little over a year ago. Also it was starting to get pretty grey. Still kept the rebel attitude. Anyways, good for you sir, Keep on keepin on.....

Thanks! Mine's just about at the bottom of the ribcage if pulled straight. As I discovered yesterday, That's just long enough to get trapped when putting the lid back on a jar of honey whilst not paying attention :001_rolle I'm hoping there's still more to come, as I grew it out from a bob, and the front is still keeping up with the back.

Top Bottom