What's new

Trying New Blades...

I've been experimenting with new blades and was wanting to ask...When you shave with a new blade, if the experience is good, should I go ahead and order a 100 pack, or should I wait and see how it does on subsequent shaves? The blade in question is the Personna Lab Blue. I'm also going to try the reds just to see what they are like, but the Lab Blue provided a close, smooth shave. I ordered some additional Lab Blues and Personna Reds (5 each) from tryablade.com, but after the great shave with the Lab Blue, I was considering ordering a full pack of 100.

Anyway, what has been others experience with Lab Blue blades?

Sent from my Z983 using Tapatalk

I like to try a blade or even a full tuck for several shaves before making those kinds of decisions. Otherwise you end up with hundreds of blades you like ok but not a lot.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I've bought quite a few hundred packs before even trying a blade. I just can't get past the bargain per-blade price. When I don't like them, it's easy to find someone to give them to.

Get a 'sampler pack' from somewhere & give each tuck a thorough once over and make your choice after giving each tuck a chance to shine. THEN make a choice based upon what is great for your face, eh?

I’ve done both.
Bought sampler packs, with multiple blades for each brand. I’ve also bought 100 without using before and luckily worked out. It depends on the deal I can find for a 100.

If it didn’t work out and I didn’t like the blade, I traded to try new blades or gave them them a friend.

I usually try two or three blades to see how it works out. Then I will order if it meets my standards. The Blue Labs are one of my favorite blades.

...or should I wait and see how it does on subsequent shaves?
You should try a couple of blades to get a full test of the blade. I look to using a tuck of blades before making a decision but only using the one razor or it gets complicated. Sample packs is a good way to go but many of the St Petersburg blades are worth a try; I note you have already tried some samples.
I have never tried a Personna Lab Blue but they seem to have good reviews.

Invicta is quite right, anything made in St Petersburg is worth a try. You could take a punt on a carton of any of them and rest assured that you were getting a high quality smooth blade. I have blades from all over the world in varying amounts, some of which are good, some of which are not so good, but I have enjoyed the discovery and the gamble.
If I were to buy just with my head, I would only buy Astra SP, GSB or Polsilver, but with my heart I have bought blades from far away places with strange sounding names.

Last edited:
There are many variables here, especially when you are still relatively new to this hobby.

For me the main variables are: #1. Some blades simply work better in particular razors, #2. Some brands have considerable blade-to-blade variability, and #3. Some blades change substantially (improve or degrade) from shave-to-shave.

I generally need to try several blades from a particular brand before I reach a conclusion. Sometimes more!

I have a sample pack and keep track of blade results with a simple google doc spreadsheet. Once I've gone through the whole sample lot I'll order a bunch of one or two of my favorites.

There is no rush. Go through the full tuck first. Try some other blades afterwards, try a few different razors too and once you've shaved with a bunch of different blades and decided on a clear favourite, then make the purchase of 100 or more blades.

I have BAS. There aren’t enough days to give them all a fair shake with a bunch of razors. I wish I could shave more than once a day.

I bought my 100 Astra Stainless just by reading about how good they shaved. Lots of shavers rave about how great the SPs shave so I thought I’d be a little different and give the blues a chance. I wasn’t disappointed. Only blade I regret buying 100 of is the Treet Black carbons. Very dull. As for the Personna Labs I got some for 9 bucks for 100 thru Amazon. Very satisfied with them. They are decent blades to say the least. Like others have stated, try several of one brand of blade before getting 100 just to play it safe.

You gonna stick with the same razor? My experience is each razor works a little differently. The blade that works real well in the Slim may not be the right one for the Fatip or the Tech.

How many shaves do you get from a blade? If you use two blades a week, a hundred will last a year.

If you are newish, your technique will improve a lot in a few weeks or months...and you may want a different blade.

Of course, we are talking $15 or $20 for a hundred blades on the 'bay, so don't overthink this.

Top Bottom