What's new

Trying a "NEW"...

After all I've read, I'm itching to try an open comb vintage "NEW". Never used an open before.
If I can get one (fat handle) in decent used condition, maybe some plating wear on the face etc., but solid condition for 11 and half bucks delivered, is it worth a shot for the experience?
Thanks folks.

Last edited:
The NEW gives a great shave and I've found that it is very forgiving too, so yes, well worth going for. There are a few about, so you should be able to get one (although a little tired) for the amount you have.

I'm itching to try an open comb vintage "NEW".
If I can get one (fat handle) in decent used condition, maybe some plating wear on the face etc., but solid condition for 11 and half bucks delivered, is it worth a shot for the experience?
Thanks folks.

After all I've read, I'm itching to try an open comb vintage "NEW". Never used an open before.
Thanks folks.

If you mean you can get one for 11.50 then go for it, assuming it isn't really a mess. Check for broken teeth. Be sure handle screws on firmly. Ask about cracked handle. But I don't think I ever saw a cracked handle on one of these.

If the razor is in good condition, yes, it is worth it. I enjoy using my New. Right now it is in the top three in my rotation, and probably always will be.

Remember- you need good technique, it took a while before I got good shaves from mine, but one my technique was down, the New was one of the best razors I tried.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Agreed with my fellow members. For that price, it's a steal. I think a NEW is like the slant, tech or SuperSpeed, it should be tried at least once!

Thanks for the replies... I missed the fat handle unfortunately, but came up with a ball end version for a couple of bucks more in comparable condition, I think. All teeth intact and a little plating worn on the edges of the cap maybe, hopefully the handle isn't cracked, claimed to be in very good clean condition.. I'll see. Hard to tell definitively in low rez pictures.
Will report back after receiving and trying out.
Also picked up this week to try out (not yet arrived either) a black tip SS and a ball handle 3 piece Tech. Condition of both looks to be pretty good, and for what I've spent I really can't complain.$5.75 and $11.25 bucks delivered.
This forum has got me wanting try everything.
Cheers

Thanks for the replies... I missed the fat handle unfortunately, but came up with a ball end version for a couple of bucks more in comparable condition, I think. All teeth intact and a little plating worn on the edges of the cap maybe, hopefully the handle isn't cracked, claimed to be in very good clean condition.. I'll see. Hard to tell definitively in low rez pictures.
Will report back after receiving and trying out.
Also picked up this week to try out (not yet arrived either) a black tip SS and a ball handle 3 piece Tech. Condition of both looks to be pretty good, and for what I've spent I really can't complain.$5.75 and $11.25 bucks delivered.
This forum has got me wanting try everything.
Cheers

The ball end NEW is nice too. I've been wanting to try it for a while!

It's always worth trying new hardware. You might find the best shaver of your life or you just might have fun with a huge rotation.

The New is an awesome shaver. Nice and close, clean and comfortable.

Enjoy!!!

New with long teeth is top of my rotation now, great shave indeed.

Secret is to not apply any pressure at all and getting the angle right, once these two basic functions are muscle memory it's a breeze to shave with, BBS everytime. Plus it hacks a few days worth of beard like a knife through butter, wonderful stuff that.

Cracked handles can be salvaged by soldering the mating ends together with common lead solder and a soldering iron. Tin the two ends that mate, Inside the handle and the flange that is going to be inserted into the handle, then whilst applying heat externally to the handle of the end which is tinned press the flange into the handle, allow to cool, and bingo you have a strong permanent join with little mess.

Last edited:
I love NEW's! I have three so far. 8 out of 10 shaves I rech for a NEW. The only razor I like better so far is the NEW Standard/Bostonian.

Regards.

Jakob

Top Bottom