What's new

Trying a few Manx (Simpson & Vulfix) small brushes

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
When the two Specials (pure and best) are dry, there is a noticeable difference in feel to them. The pure has a stronger hint of scritch, but not like as prickly as the Omega Midget. The best has also splayed out further now, so as well as softer tips, there is marginally less backbone. However, once both are wet and lathered up, those differences are less discernible.

Based on the accounts I have read on here, of other people's experience with these brushes, either mine might not be typical of what others have had, or there is a wide range of hair properties in any given brush, between production batches. I would assume, the latter is more likely.

At this stage, and yes, it's early days, but I would say the scritch and scrub spectrums of these badges are as follows:

Scritch:
Picadilly>Special Pure>Case>Special Best>Wee Scot

Scrub:
Case>Piccadilly>Special Pure>Special Best>Wee Scot

I left out the mixed hair Vulfix Mayfair on purpose, as the boar content obviously sets it apart somewhat.

I'm going to go out on a limb here, and say that by the time these brushes are all broken in. The differences between them all, may well be less significant than the differences in feel and performance between my synthetic brushes. Yes, the Case will feel different from the Wee Scot, but maybe not to the same extent that my Kent INF1 feels different to my Trafalgar T2.

So my premature prediction (at this stage) is that I'll probably only keep one of the five badgers in play at any time, I'm not sure I'll find them different enough to keep several in play. That's not counting my DS Cosmetic brush, which feels very different due to being a dense 26mm two band knot. Also, I reckon that if I were to get a Berkley or Beaufort, they would fall somewhere within that same spectrum of Case to Wee Scot. That pretty much kills off any interest in expanding this group further. I think they'll feel too much like "more of the same".

I appreciate saying that might ruffle feathers, but once I add in a synth or two to the users, plus the boar/badger Mayfair, and the 26mm DS Cosmetic, any differences between the smaller badgers will be largely drowned out. Probably. Again, premature guess work at play.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
2nd shave with the Simpson Special in Pure

Wilkinson Sword Classic razor
Wilkinson Sword blade (shave 38)
Edwin Jagger Aloe Vera mug soap

Well, that was... unexpected!

This brush felt A LOT more scrubby on this second use, than it did on the first. Enough to throw absolutely everything I said in the past post, into total disarray.

I can only assume that it was because I did two test lathers (palm lathers) immediately before using it, last time. Going from Pure to Best at the previous shave, made the brushes feel very similar, but going back to Pure felt nothing like the last two shaves. Very scrubby, and moderately scritchy, but certainly not unpleasant or uncomfortable. Superb lather once again, so it wasn't that which made the difference.

My gast is flabbered.

I really am rather at a loss for words, and have no idea whether to continue with the current brushes to try to make more sense of them, or whether to clock up a couple of shaves on the ones I haven't used yet. I have done two shaves on the Vulfix Mayfair, and on the Best and Pure Specials, but nothing yet on the Piccadilly, Case, and Wee Scot.

What do you folks reckon, stick or twist? Stay with the current three, or swap to the other three?

2nd shave with the Simpson Special in Pure

Wilkinson Sword blade (shave 38)

Well, that was... unexpected!

This brush felt A LOT more scrubby on this second use, than it did on the first. Enough to throw absolutely everything I said in the past post, into total disarray.

I can only assume that it was because I did two test lathers (palm lathers) immediately before using it, last time. Going from Pure to Best at the previous shave, made the brushes feel very similar, but going back to Pure felt nothing like the last two shaves. Very scrubby, and moderately scritchy, but certainly not unpleasant or uncomfortable. Superb lather once again, so it wasn't that which made the difference.

My gast is flabbered.

I really am rather at a loss for words, and have no idea whether to continue with the current brushes to try to make more sense of them, or whether to clock up a couple of shaves on the ones I haven't used yet. I have done two shaves on the Vulfix Mayfair, and on the Best and Pure Specials, but nothing yet on the Piccadilly, Case, and Wee Scot.

What do you folks reckon, stick or twist? Stay with the current three, or swap to the other three?
I vote for swapping to get more confusion going round ;)

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I vote for swapping to get more confusion going round ;)

As the only voter, I reckon you won! :lol:

I'll give all three a test/palm lather or two, to dislodge any loose hairs and wet dog smell, then have a shave with whichever of them takes my fancy. I'll leave the first three out for a couple more days, to be sure they're dry enough to put away for a while.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
The second clump of three brushes have been washed/test lathered, and left to dry. As I got such a false impression from the Special Pure on first use, I want these clean and fully dried out, before trying them for real. Besides which, I especially want to give the Vulfix Piccadilly a second wash. The lather that was coming off it today, has a slight brown tinge to it. :crying:

I am definitely not going to use that one, until the test lather coming off it is clean!

The Case was quite a heavy shedder today. I counted 15 escapees, but there may have been more. As for the Wee Scot, I don't know if it had some oils on it, but it really didn't want to lather. It was soaping up, but didn't lather the palm like all the others did.

They were all given a very thorough rinse out afterwards, and I think I'll treat them all to a second bout of palm lathering when they are dry. In the meantime, I think I might clock up a few more shaves on the mixed hair 403 Mayfair. That will take the longest to fully settle in, so it makes send to use that one while the others are being prepped

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Wilkinson Sword blade (shave 40)
Simpson Wee Scot

First shave using this brush, and I'm in two minds of what to make of it.

It's a really soft brush with zero scritch, but also severely lacking in backbone, due to being so lofty at that diameter. It lathered fine, although it only just held enough lather for a second pass.

However, it felt like it was applying lather onto the stubble, rather than working it into the stubble. That didn't feel right.

There may well be a learning curve with this brush, plus it might take a while to settle in, but it definitely felt like there was something missing when lathering with it. I wouldn't say the brush was floppy, but the feeling of it only moving lather, not stubble, left the lathering stage feeling incomplete. It did shave OK, but I was overly hesitant throughout the shave, expecting to find somewhere that felt dry, and scrape instead of glide.

The nett result, is the shave didn't feel as relaxing and carefree as it should. It's close enough, was comfortable enough, but ... shaves shouldn't feel tense like that. Of course, it might just be a familiarity/trust issue with the brush, and something I will acclimatise to, in time.

Simpson Wee Scot

It's a really soft brush with zero scritch, but also severely lacking in backbone, due to being so lofty at that diameter. It lathered fine, although it only just held enough lather for a second pass.

However, it felt like it was applying lather onto the stubble, rather than working it into the stubble. That didn't feel right.
Aha! The Simpson Best Badger conundrum. :facep:

My Wee Scot easily matches my Omega 11047 Mixed Midget for scritch. Both of them are lather monsters and have ample backbone.

Conclusion:
YWSMV (Your Wee Scot May Vary) :wink2:

Wilkinson Sword blade (shave 40)
Simpson Wee Scot

There may well be a learning curve with this brush, plus it might take a while to settle in, but it definitely felt like there was something missing when lathering with it. I wouldn't say the brush was floppy, but the feeling of it only moving lather, not stubble, left the lathering stage feeling incomplete. It did shave OK, but I was overly hesitant throughout the shave, expecting to find somewhere that felt dry, and scrape instead of glide.

The nett result, is the shave didn't feel as relaxing and carefree as it should. It's close enough, was comfortable enough, but ... shaves shouldn't feel tense like that. Of course, it might just be a familiarity/trust issue with the brush, and something I will acclimatise to, in time.
Have you ever had the chance to use an Omega Bambino boar?

No, I've not used either of the small boar only Omegas, the 40033 or the 5XXXX... whatever it is. I would imagine they would be more to my taste than what the Wee Scot is currently offering though.
That was what I was thinking about…

6857CCC1-ED60-401D-BB1B-057B956DA783.jpeg

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Wilkinson Sword blade (shave 41)
Simpson Case Best Badger

Another maiden voyage, but this brush is MUCH better. This one feels like it's working the lather into the beard, like a good brush should, rather than just laying it on top, which is how the Wee Scot felt. Having an almost identical loft, it feels just as precise, but the wider knot really makes a positive difference.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Wilkinson Sword blade (shave 42)
Vulfix Piccadilly Pure Badger

Despite test lathers, and a shampoo with Vosene, this still has some wet dog smell. The performance was very good though, with just three or four escapees. Certainly the most scritchy of the new badgers, but not intolerable. If that's the price for getting a brush with this level of scrub and backbone, then it's a price I am happy to pay.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Wilkinson Sword blade (shave 43)
Simpson Wee Scot

Back to the Wee Scot today, and I took a different approach.

Usually, I load with a fairly dry brush, and add water while face lathering. The first time I used this brush, that matted it up, the bristles didn't move freely, and the brush was rather ineffective, in my opinion. This time, instead of adding water to soap, I decided to add soap to water.

I loaded with a rather wet brush, and lathered on the soap, loading and loading, until the bubbly froth turned to lather. Way way way too much lather, but the brush performed more like I expected it to when face lathering. It still didn't work the lather in as intensely as I prefer, but certainly better than the last use. However, the lather was somewhat airy, and it took a while before I thought there was enough of what I consider a true lather (soap and water, but not bulked up with air), at skin level.

First pass went OK, second was better, but by the third pass, the brush had reverted back to being matted again. No longer an open fan I could do light swirls with, but a closed, flattened, and slightly leaning paintbrush. I can see why others, particularly bowl latherers, might like this brush, but I don't think we are a good match. I will try it again, but probably not with this soap. Maybe it will perform differently with cream. The experience I am having with this brush, fluffy light presence on the face, and easily overwhelmed backbone, is markedly different from the experience @Cal has had with his Wee Scot.

The Best Badger hair does seem similar to that in my Case and Special Best Badger brushes, but for me, that hair works much better in the slightly bulkier knots of the other two. The Case having good scrub and presence, the Special being much lighter, but still pleasant and effective, and the Wee Scot being almost non-existent in both.

Hi Al @AimlessWanderer

I did one pass with each of them today

sotd.jpg

1. Simpson Special Pure, scritchy/scrubby in a good way with ample backbone
2. Omega Mixed Midget, this used to be a bad scritch brush now it softened with most of the pokey scritch gone but it lost most of its backbone one the way
3. Omega/Proraso Bambino boar, soft tips & good backbone a fine specimen of boar even in the smallest package

I received my Wee Scot yesterday and used it this morning. I have to agree with the lack of presence opinion.

I mean, it gets the job done and uses very little product, but when facing a choice in the morning between the Wee Scot and any of my other Simpson's, I just can't find any good reason to use it. I will keep it and maybe use it sometimes when traveling.

PS: mine is uber soft and has no scritch whatsoever

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
@Multum in parvo @macintoshBR

Thanks for chipping in with your insights. This thread is better for having those second opinions. :thumbup1:

I'm glad I bought the Wee Scot, but mainly for the education of what too high a loft/knot ratio feels like. I'm not sure what it's role will be long term here. I prefer synthetics for travel, and even as a low presence knot, the Special in Best lathers so much better.

My Omega Mixed Scritchet has lost a lot of its scritch, but still has more than my Simpson and Vulfix Pure knots had straight out of the box. Maybe it would reduce further in time, if I could tolerate using it, but I'm not sure I want to subject myself to that. I would rather relegate it back to "household" uses again.

Top Bottom