What's new

Tryin, Tryin & Tryin

Today I tried face lathering for the first time today. I added a dollop to my damp brush. I went quite well. It felt nice on the face & there was lots of lather. I did missed the warmth of the bowl, so Ill likely continue bowl lathering. It is nice to know that Its a viable option.
On the way back home I thought I would stop by Sallys in Duncan & pick up some Clubman AF. I put it on at the store. DADDY LIKES! Its a very manly scent, talc/citrus/musk(?). Is there a Clubmans groups her to join?
Before I got home, I thought I would drop in at Pharmasavein Mill Bay. While I was there I picked up some Berts Bees shave cream & after shave. Seems to have a nice scent. Ill be trying that out tomorrow or Saturday. Any opinions about Berts Bees product? Another thing I found out while I was thereis that I can get C&E by special over.

Knotty

Face lathering is a petty efficient way of doing things in my opinion. Meaning that's what I have always done and it seems to work very well for me in my experience. I personally don't like anything from Bert's, not a big bees wax fan when it comes to shaving products. C&E is pretty good stuff, but it's been a long time since I have used their shaving products, over 10 years.

Today I tried face lathering for the first time today. I added a dollop to my damp brush. I went quite well. It felt nice on the face & there was lots of lather. I did missed the warmth of the bowl, so Ill likely continue bowl lathering. It is nice to know that Its a viable option.
On the way back home I thought I would stop by Sallys in Duncan & pick up some Clubman AF. I put it on at the store. DADDY LIKES! Its a very manly scent, talc/citrus/musk(?). Is there a Clubmans groups her to join?
Before I got home, I thought I would drop in at Pharmasavein Mill Bay. While I was there I picked up some Berts Bees shave cream & after shave. Seems to have a nice scent. Ill be trying that out tomorrow or Saturday. Any opinions about Berts Bees product? Another thing I found out while I was thereis that I can get C&E by special over.

Knotty

Clubman - Club Clubman

Pinaud - Order of Pinaud

I started face lathering in earnest whilst on a three week business trip and my travel scuttle broke. I got great shaves with a Simpson Special Pure Badger, and Mitchell's Wool Fat. But I did miss the warm lather. These days I will face lather just to break up my pattern, and I prefer face lathering when using one of my two small Simpsons (Special Pure Badger, Case). I think MWF is perfect for face lathering.

When I first started I didn't see why anyone would do anything other than bowl lathering. But now, I have become an exclusive face latherer. Nothing works better IMO. I also feel that face lathering is much better for my troubelsome neck. I still don't know why anyone would hand lather. Been meaning to make a thread on that.

I'm a fan of anything by Pinaud. They make the best products in that price range.

Congratulations on finding local sources for your needs. I always liked C&E products, especially the Sweet Almond Oil cream. Too bad they discontinued that fragrance. I didn't know Bert's Bees made a shave cream or an aftershave. The only product I ever tried was the lip balm, and it was like rubbing a candle on my lips. Let us know how the cream and AS turn out.

Before I started DE shaving a few months ago I always face lathered, then I discovered "THE BOWL" after watching several videos by Geofatboy (shavenation). I've never looked back. A Geobowl, a small bowl and a Robert Becker scuttle and I'm in heaven. I will admit that after I purchased a Kent BLK8 silvertip I did try face lathering. That big silvertip made mounds of lather. I will however stay with the bowl unless I get in a hurry, which is unusual since I shave at night.

Personally, I think bowl lathering is a waste of time. Think about it, where would you generate a better and richer lather than a sandpaper-ish surface like the stubble on your face? As opposed to a smooth surface a bowl?

How about the extra exfoliation offered by face lathering?

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I've used the Burts Bee's shave cream. If I remember correctly it is a brush less creme. I didn't like it at all. Don't know what else to say. I simply like lather and Burt's didn't produce, but that was expected I guess.

I bought the BB to add to my stable of shaving gear. I have since read a number posts here & find it is a brushless cream. Ill try it & report back. It might be handy for traveling or to be used as a preshave cream. The scent is somewhat citrusy. The AS definately has a strong citrus scent, it might be nice by itself or layered with something else.

I like the warmth of bowl lathering, but think face lathering provides better prep, so I alternate between the two methods, but with face lathering predominating.

When I first started I didn't see why anyone would do anything other than bowl lathering. But now, I have become an exclusive face latherer...
Me too.
I get a far better result with the extra 2 minutes or so of prep face lathering gives me.
You don't need pre-shave oils if you change from bowl lathering to face lathering, too.

Face lathering seems to be efficient for me as well. However, I like the romance of whipping up a fine bowl lather. And with a scuttle, that lather is nice and warm the second and third lather. I also seem to get satisfaction from the superb creation in the bowl. Those beautiful, thick, white peaks of lather. It's like a perfect dollop of foam on a macchiato.

Face lathering seems to be efficient for me as well. However, I like the romance of whipping up a fine bowl lather. And with a scuttle, that lather is nice and warm the second and third lather. I also seem to get satisfaction from the superb creation in the bowl. Those beautiful, thick, white peaks of lather. It's like a perfect dollop of foam on a macchiato.

MACCHIATO Good word for it.
Its the process & the feelin. So much more that just shaving!

Top Bottom