What's new

TryABlade reviews

I bought a 100 pack of Astra SPs a couple years ago and been using them ever since. They perform reasonably, but I was looking for a baby shave with less passes. Then I decided to give others a try. I bought two of each blade and conducted my trials methodically. I put each in two razors: Merkur 34C and Razorock DE1. Marked one side, so I only used each side once. Shaved two days apart every time. Basically, I tried to limit bias as much as possible. Anyway, here are my thoughts (ranked). They may surprise you.

Lord Platinum - A little smoother and more efficient than the Lord SS. Good shave.
Gillette Nacet - Similar to Astra. More expensive however.
Perma-Sharp - Not too different from Astra either.
Lord Classic SS - Average all around
Personna Lab Blue - Many nicks. Didn't get the closest shave with it. I was hoping for a BBS.
Gillette 7 O'Clock SharpEdge (Yellow) - Started out pretty sharp, dulled quickly after first use. Several nicks.
Croma Diamont - Scrapey...not comfortable. Nicks galore.

The one blade I forgot to get was KAI. I don't know if it's worth the hype and double the cost of other blades.

In my opinion and experience, the Nacet and the Perma-Sharps are eons above everything else you mention there. Nowhere near Astra. They are supremely sharp and smooth blades. Hot knife on butter type of feeling, and my beard density and strength puts the Taliban to shame, if you know what I mean. Right below those, comes the Gillette 7 o'clock SharpEdge imo.

In my opinion and experience, the Nacet and the Perma-Sharps are eons above everything else you mention there. Nowhere near Astra. They are supremely sharp and smooth blades. Hot knife on butter type of feeling, and my beard density and strength puts the Taliban to shame, if you know what I mean. Right below those, comes the Gillette 7 o'clock SharpEdge imo.

And yet I can't get a BBS shave with either of those without cutting my face up!

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
In most cases I can't tell one blade I like from another blade I like; only the Feather and Kai blades are noticeably different for me. I can't tell one blade I dislike from another blade I dislike.

I bought a 100 pack of Astra SPs a couple years ago and been using them ever since. They perform reasonably, but I was looking for a baby shave with less passes. Then I decided to give others a try. I bought two of each blade and conducted my trials methodically. I put each in two razors: Merkur 34C and Razorock DE1. Marked one side, so I only used each side once. Shaved two days apart every time. Basically, I tried to limit bias as much as possible. Anyway, here are my thoughts (ranked). They may surprise you.

Lord Platinum - A little smoother and more efficient than the Lord SS. Good shave.
Personna Lab Blue - Many nicks. Didn't get the closest shave with it. I was hoping for a BBS.
Gillette 7 O'Clock SharpEdge (Yellow) - Started out pretty sharp, dulled quickly after first use. Several nicks.

The one blade I forgot to get was KAI. I don't know if it's worth the hype and double the cost of other blades.
Based on what you like most, I'd suggest trying Astra SS or Lord Silver Star. Very good value for money blades that shave well. Ende.

In most cases I can't tell one blade I like from another blade I like; only the Feather and Kai blades are noticeably different for me. I can't tell one blade I dislike from another blade I dislike.

Which do you prefer, Kai or Feather? What makes them so different for you? extreme sharpness?

EclipseRedRing

Which do you prefer, Kai or Feather? What makes them so different for you? extreme sharpness?
The sharpness but also in the case of the Kai it is very slightly wider than standard blades. It can liven up a razor that might be a little mild or otherwise need a shim. I think I prefer the Feather - especially given the price of Kai blades.

Thanks for the reviews!

Here are my suggestions:
1. Lab blues are favorites around here. BUT they require, absolutely REQUIRE, a few shaves to come into their own! This is likely related to the relatively thick coating. Then they deliver and LAST longer than most for me.
2. Kai blades are definitely worth trying! I prefer them to Feathers, by far.
3. Mostly, ENJOY trying various options!!

:thumbup: :thumbup:

Thanks for the reviews!

Here are my suggestions:
1. Lab blues are favorites around here. BUT they require, absolutely REQUIRE, a few shaves to come into their own! This is likely related to the relatively thick coating. Then they deliver and LAST longer than most for me.
2. Kai blades are definitely worth trying! I prefer them to Feathers, by far.
3. Mostly, ENJOY trying various options!!

:thumbup: :thumbup:

KAI is superior for another reason too... NO GLUE ! ! !

I recently discovered VI-JOHN platinum blades... Full disclosure... They were platinum and only $4 CAD for 100 and I figured they would do fine in my BRO BACK SHAVER. LOL. While they did fine for the intended purpose, they ended up being a pretty good blade for regular shaving too! I was quite surprised for the price.

The sharpness but also in the case of the Kai it is very slightly wider than standard blades. It can liven up a razor that might be a little mild or otherwise need a shim. I think I prefer the Feather - especially given the price of Kai blades.

NO WAY! I'm going to have to check the dimensions... time to dig out the caliper!

EclipseRedRing

NO WAY! I'm going to have to check the dimensions... time to dig out the caliper!
I believe they are 9/1000 of an inch wider than a standard blade, or 4.5/1000 inch per side. Not much maybe but it is noticable in my opinion, or maybe it is one of those things that you read and then your mind convinces you is true. Either way the Kai is a nice blade but not worth the price for me. 👍

@JohnnyComeLately Welcome to B&B! We’re glad to have you here. Congrats on finding blades that work for you! My personal favorites are Wizamet SI/PolSilver SI, Gillette Platinum, Personna Platinum, Tatra Platinum, and Astra SS. There are a ton of great blades out there! Good luck with finding what works best for you. And one thing to remember around here, YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary)! Welcome!

I'd say BIC Chrome Platinums are best....when quality control on their end holds up that is. Had a good streak with them for the longest time without getting bad blades, yet lately I actually have been getting nicked with some of the BICs I've gotten. Could be they were counterfeit as I bought them in bulk on eBay, but for me the best blades when they work

I agree with you about most of the PPI Gillette/Astra blades: I can't tell them apart, except by the price.

Interesting summary, but blades don't nick you. You nick you.
:detective:

Top Bottom