What's new

Truth: Outside of DE razors...The humble disposable razor is the best.

Yeah, you can get a decent shave with a cart, and yeah, it's faster than DE, and yeah, you don't have to fuss or fiddle as much, but I can say that I get a consistently better shave with DE versus carts or electric.

So carts win for time and convenience, neither of which is a considerations for me, being retired. Though if I was still working and needed to shave every day, I might feel diferently.

Electric is the worst of the bunch for me.
1. You need to spend over 100 dollars IMHO to get a half decent electric.
2. It takes space and electricity so can't use it anywhere.
3. Even the fanciest electric shaver requires maintenance and replacement heads, which are expensive.
4. The shave is inferior to what a 5 cent BIC with crappy shaving foam does.

I didn’t comment on the shave from disposable razors earlier, and it has been a long time since I used one, but I recall them being pretty savage if you weren’t extremely careful. I think I remember the twin blade ones to be less so, with smaller blade gaps. Anyone else used them more recently and have a view on this?

It's been a few years since I shaved my whole face with a cartridge, but I much preferred 2 blade disposables to anything else, and not just because of price.

In terms of speed, I can do a single pass with a straight in about 7 minutes. That's including stropping, lathering, and cleanup. That's not how I prefer to do things, but I can do it if I have to.

I want to add very important precisions:

1. I own a solid DE razor (German brand). Problem I have with it is that if you go pretty fast, you inevitably butcher your face. The main advantage is the price which is unbeatable. However a humble two blade disposable is cheap as F, and has the added protection of a cartridge.

2. When it comes to cartridge, I don't denigrate any cartridge and obviously a Mach 3 or Fusion is superior to a 2 blade disposable. The problem is that when you do the math, you realise the Mach3/Fusion/other cartridge are ridiculously expensive. Now Gillette and other say: "You can use it for 15 shaves". I think that's nonsense. I don't even have a true man's beard (lol), I have a pretty fine beard, and I think that a mach 3/fusion cartridge lasts a week in terms of max effectiveness. If you keep it for 15 uses or 1 month like people do, you are getting a way inferior shave than a brand new disposable 1 or 2 blade razor which cuts like a scalpel when brand new.

So ultimately the cold calculation comes down to price. If the Mach 3 or Fusion recharges were 1/3 of the price or more I would consider them.

There's a reason that plenty of military enlisted men use the humble disposable. I am French and in the French foreign legion, nearly everyone uses a cheap disposable and they have requirement to be ultra-clean shaven on a daily basis. With a box of cheap shaving foam the good old disposable does the job every time at a cheaper price than any expensive cartridge.

And then comes the utility. If you have to shave daily in 5 minutes...Would you really use the DE razor?
It's entirely personal but I just like the added safety of the modern disposable...
And let's not even talk about cutthroat razors...I would kill myself shaving with this at 6-7am when I'm barely awake.

Ultimately guys I'm looking for utilitarianism and price here. I'm not looking for a fancy shave. Yes if I have 30 minutes, the hot towel on the face, the fancy eucalyptus & jojoba oil skin shaving cream, I would go with a slow DE razor shave. But I don't have the freaking time for that and want, when I need a 5 min utilitarian shave at 6-7am daily. And I'm sure lots of guys will sympathise. Respect to all using DE razors though!!!
Ignore the comments (especially mine, LOL!!) We just really love DE's so you're gonna get all sorts of opinions. You do whatever works best for you!
And regardless, a cartridge (even though I personally dislike them) still gives a wet shave and has a blade(s) so it's still part of the wet shaving universe.🙂
LRod

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
If you have to shave daily in 5 minutes...Would you really use the DE razor? It's entirely personal but I just like the added safety of the modern disposable...
And let's not even talk about cutthroat razors...I would kill myself shaving with this at 6-7am when I'm barely awake.

Ultimately guys I'm looking for utilitarianism and price here. I'm not looking for a fancy shave. Yes if I have 30 minutes, the hot towel on the face, the fancy eucalyptus & jojoba oil skin shaving cream, I would go with a slow DE razor shave. But I don't have the freaking time for that and want, when I need a 5 min utilitarian shave at 6-7am daily. And I'm sure lots of guys will sympathise. Respect to all using DE razors though!!!

You could use a double edge safety razor for a quick two-pass shave. Nothing fancy, just load the blade, canned shave foam if that's your preference and shave. In two passes, you would be presentable. Your German brand could do it.

Chasing BBS, pre-shave oils, lathering soaps/creams...that's what takes time. But none of that is necessary. You could skip the foam in a can and save time with something like Cremo as well. But either way, a double edge safety razor can be quick.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
The last time I shaved with a cartridge was Jan, I think... could have been before Christmas, other than a trim around my beard. Now.... last I shaved with a disposable... easy to remember. Right after I got back from Indonesia in 1974. I tried the disposals, cut myself to ribbons.. and got a trac 2. Within just a few months, the Astra came out and I bought that one. I bought every new razor Gillette released, except for a color change. I stayed with Fusion Power... didn't buy any of the subsequent releases.

But this thread is about disposables..... I've only tried Schick's and Gillette's.... both were horrible. So the question again: are the modern disposables far better?

Another two great options for those that want the fast cartridge style shave:
Wet shaving Club's "The winning razor" and the Henson AL13. I've got the "winning razor" and I don't see how you could nick yourself regardless of shave speed. It's ridiculously fool proof and it beats a cartridge shave. Both are great options!
The Henson is a made in the USA stainless steel Yates razor and the Henson is a made in Canada aluminum razor:

I didn’t comment on the shave from disposable razors earlier, and it has been a long time since I used one, but I recall them being pretty savage if you weren’t extremely careful. I think I remember the twin blade ones to be less so, with smaller blade gaps. Anyone else used them more recently and have a view on this?

If you press hard or don't use shaving foam (or alternatively, warm up the face with steam), you will cut up your face.
But that's the case even with fancy cartridge like Fusion in my experience, it's just a tiny bit more unforgiving maybe with the more expensive cartridge.

When I’m in a hurry, I do a one-pass DE shave and hand-lather cream from a tube. Very good results, and time/cleanup about the same as with a cart and foam/gel.

But this thread is about disposables..... I've only tried Schick's and Gillette's.... both were horrible. So the question again: are the modern disposables far better?
In my experience 1 blade disposable are really meh (ie: Bic), but they are very gentle on the skin.
2 blade I used Gillette & Bic both of which are solid. But only with shaving foam or softening the beard with steam/shower.
If you go cold you will cut up your face. But this is the same with even more expensive cartridges.

If you press hard or don't use shaving foam (or alternatively, warm up the face with steam), you will cut up your face.
But that's the case even with fancy cartridge like Fusion in my experience, it's just a tiny bit more unforgiving maybe with the more expensive cartridge.
It sounds like the real issue is that you have poor technique with a DE razor so you blame it for your problems. It's possible that you don't cut yourself with a disposable razor if you don't use shaving cream/foam or warm up with your face with steam; if that's the case, I'd bet you could get similar results with a DE razor. The main issue, though, is likely that you're used to pressing down on the razor so you repeat the process with a DE razor (and I'd also guess you don't use the right shave angle when shaving with a DE razor).

If you get great shaves with a disposable razor, that's fine (no one will in the forum will twist your arm to convert to using a DE razor). But if you want to blame DE razors for your own technique failures, that's kind of nonsensical. You can easily develop the proper technique (even if you opt to continue shaving without shaving cream/foam and/or prepping your beard with steam) with a DE razor. You'll just need to dedicate some time to practicing with it. Of course, if you don't want to spend the tome to develop that skill, that's fine, too. Just don't blame your DE razor for your bad shaves with it.

The truth?

The truth for some,
’Alternative Truth’ for some,
and definitely untrue for others - including me.

To each his own…
…whatever floats your boat.

Hardly worth discussing.

B.

I don't like the idea of using disposable stuff when a cheap enough, long-lasting alternative exists. I understand DE blades are disposable. I also know they break down when buried in my yard.

In my experience 1 blade disposable are really meh (ie: Bic), but they are very gentle on the skin.
I used one of those single-blade Bic disposables when I was just starting shaving. I almost lost the mole on my chin! Man, did that bleed...

And that's probably what made me susceptible to all the multiblade marketing. More blades packed together made it a lot easier to NOT shave off my flesh!

I don't travel much, but when I do, I bring along a disposable or two. My one of choice lately has been the Schick twin blade -- green package -- I think sensitive.

I'm not that opposed to cartridge razors, since most of my shaving life was spent using them. I really like the Trac II/Atra style -- I used to use the real deal Atra back in the 80s and 90s, but then switched to Personna Twin Pivots. I would vote for them over the disposables. Though not strictly a disposable, the Gillette Guard for me equals the Trac II/Atra style carts.

My old Trac II is still my go to when I fly without checked baggage, or even go on a road trip and I want to shave a little faster. It is also a good “spot razor” for a day or two when I am letting a shaving cut heal. I can usually get at least a dfs with it. I think it works well for me because I am so used to its feel- light weight and curved head. It is still easier to go down over the chin with this razor while I am gradually getting the hang of maneuvering my DE razors over that spot. It has the same feel as most 2 bladed disposables, which I rarely use.

Gillette Fusion or Dollar Tree disposable with Gillette foam = an outstanding inspection ready shave every time. I can also get the same shave from my freebie cast steel DE with a Gillette yellow blade in the same amount of time. Shaving isn’t that complicated unless you’re using a piece of knapped flint and cactus sap. Shaving should be like putting on a pair of loafers; comfy and uncomplicated. Happy shaves no matter what you choose.

Top Bottom