What's new

Trumper’s West Indian Extract of Limes Cologne

This is actually a pointless comparison between George Trumper’s West Indian Extract of Limes Aftershave versus George Trumper’s West Indian Extract of Limes Cologne. You'll see why shortly.

When I first started DE shaving about three years ago, I bought a bottle of Trumper’s West Indian Extract of Limes Aftershave. I remembered the old-fashioned bottles from a schoolfriend’s father’s bathroom which was filled with all manner of Trumper’s scents and secretly trying them.

I also bought some other lime aftershaves and splashes, from Pinaud and a couple of others. None of them compared to the utter freshness, cleanness and clarity of the Trumper’s in its altogether limeness! It was like slicing a fresh lime and smearing the juice, with some grated peel, onto your face. It was so refreshing and unlike the others I tried, it didn't smell in any way artificial, there was no chalkiness, no sickly sweet ester buried in the scent - just limes.

As my Aftershave slowly diminished over time, I thought about buying another bottle. It certainly doesn’t hurt to have a spare or be prepared. I checked all of my familiar shave web sites, Amazon, eBay and finally Trumper’s web site itself. There was no sign of the Aftershave.

Everyone stocked the scent, in the face food, the soft shaving cream, the hard shaving soap, the bath and shower gel, the deodorant stick, the shampoo, the beard oil, the beard wash, the hair cream, the pomade, the pliable hair paste, the hand wash, the bath soap and the hand soap but not the GODDAMN AFTERSHAVE!

In despair, I wrote to Trumpers and received this sad confirmation.

“Dear Mr W,

Thank you for your email.

Sorry to say but we have stop producing the aftershave range. We are only making the cologne range. But the Limes comes in a cologne.

Kind regards,

Jose Sreeraman”

I was down to my last couple of uses of the Aftershave, so I decided I had to buy some cologne.

As I understand it, generally speaking, aftershaves contain less of the aromatic ingredients but also alcohol to astringently close pores and clean nicks after shaving, hence the name. Colognes are stronger smelling as they have more of the aromatic ingredients and are designed to keep one smelling sweeter for longer, with EDTs being the next level up in strength.

Comparing the Limes AS with the Cologne, I found that the AS smelled more strongly of limes in the hand and when applied to the face than the cologne. The cologne possesses the same scent of limes and is very close to the AS but not quite as fresh smelling. I have not yet used the cologne after a shave, but I would expect it to have quite a burn, possibly too much to be usable immediately. Having splashed the cologne on, I couldn't really smell it an hour later. So it doesn’t seem to have a long lasting presence, mind you neither did the AS. Perhaps the cologne is one of those scents you cannot smell on yourself.

Well the Cologne is a useful, or is that necessary, substitute for the AS but it’s not the same and I will miss the AS when it’s finally finished. That's why this review is pointless. You can no longer buy the Aftershave, even though it's what we wet shavers need.

IMG_20200511_114828.jpg

I bought a bottle of Trumper Limes cologne a few years ago. Smelled great for about 10-15 minutes and then totally gone. Sold next day.

This is a sad story. It is also now seemingly impossible to get Pino Silvestre in a splash aftershave bottle. Oh, they still make something that says "Aftershave" on the bottle but the lid is welded on and it has an atomizer built in. I'm not even confident that it isn't the EDC just in an aftershave box. :confused:

How the Hell do I use that as an aftershave? Close my eyes and spray it allover my face?

I really like limes as a splash. Problem is the lime oils are very volatile and quite fleeting. I've tried several brands, but the best longevity I've gotten is with Avon Island Lime.

Tried making my own homebrew but the scent just doesn't last.

Sad.

Captain’s Choice makes a lime aftershave splash. I haven’t tried it, but his aftershaves are generally excellent.

Captain’s Choice makes a lime aftershave splash. I haven’t tried it, but his aftershaves are generally excellent.

I have CC Lime. The lime scent lasts about as long as any lime scent I have ever tried. Of course, it is on a bay rum base so you also have to like bay rum. I like it and, I agree, Captain's Choice makes a great after shave.

I really like limes as a splash. Problem is the lime oils are very volatile and quite fleeting. I've tried several brands, but the best longevity I've gotten is with Avon Island Lime.

Tried making my own homebrew but the scent just doesn't last.

Sad.
I tried GFT Limes and it lasted about 15 minutes. I still have some Castle Forbes Lime Limited Edition from about 10 yrs ago. Longest lasting Lime I've found but that ain't saying much.

This is actually a pointless comparison between George Trumper’s West Indian Extract of Limes Aftershave versus George Trumper’s West Indian Extract of Limes Cologne. You'll see why shortly.

When I first started DE shaving about three years ago, I bought a bottle of Trumper’s West Indian Extract of Limes Aftershave. I remembered the old-fashioned bottles from a schoolfriend’s father’s bathroom which was filled with all manner of Trumper’s scents and secretly trying them.

I also bought some other lime aftershaves and splashes, from Pinaud and a couple of others. None of them compared to the utter freshness, cleanness and clarity of the Trumper’s in its altogether limeness! It was like slicing a fresh lime and smearing the juice, with some grated peel, onto your face. It was so refreshing and unlike the others I tried, it didn't smell in any way artificial, there was no chalkiness, no sickly sweet ester buried in the scent - just limes.

As my Aftershave slowly diminished over time, I thought about buying another bottle. It certainly doesn’t hurt to have a spare or be prepared. I checked all of my familiar shave web sites, Amazon, eBay and finally Trumper’s web site itself. There was no sign of the Aftershave.

Everyone stocked the scent, in the face food, the soft shaving cream, the hard shaving soap, the bath and shower gel, the deodorant stick, the shampoo, the beard oil, the beard wash, the hair cream, the pomade, the pliable hair paste, the hand wash, the bath soap and the hand soap but not the GODDAMN AFTERSHAVE!

In despair, I wrote to Trumpers and received this sad confirmation.

“Dear Mr W,

Thank you for your email.

Sorry to say but we have stop producing the aftershave range. We are only making the cologne range. But the Limes comes in a cologne.

Kind regards,

Jose Sreeraman”

I was down to my last couple of uses of the Aftershave, so I decided I had to buy some cologne.

As I understand it, generally speaking, aftershaves contain less of the aromatic ingredients but also alcohol to astringently close pores and clean nicks after shaving, hence the name. Colognes are stronger smelling as they have more of the aromatic ingredients and are designed to keep one smelling sweeter for longer, with EDTs being the next level up in strength.

Comparing the Limes AS with the Cologne, I found that the AS smelled more strongly of limes in the hand and when applied to the face than the cologne. The cologne possesses the same scent of limes and is very close to the AS but not quite as fresh smelling. I have not yet used the cologne after a shave, but I would expect it to have quite a burn, possibly too much to be usable immediately. Having splashed the cologne on, I couldn't really smell it an hour later. So it doesn’t seem to have a long lasting presence, mind you neither did the AS. Perhaps the cologne is one of those scents you cannot smell on yourself.

Well the Cologne is a useful, or is that necessary, substitute for the AS but it’s not the same and I will miss the AS when it’s finally finished. That's why this review is pointless. You can no longer buy the Aftershave, even though it's what we wet shavers need.

View attachment 1098501
Nice looking bottles

This is what I use with their Limes shaving soap, and it works great:

proxy.php

I had that and it's the one item in my shave journey to which my skin reacted badly. I had to stop using it. I believe that Trumpers unnecessarily added some yellow colourant to the product and it could be that which aggravated my skin.

I had that and it's the one item in my shave journey to which my skin reacted badly. I had to stop using it. I believe that Trumpers unnecessarily added some yellow colourant to the product and it could be that which aggravated my skin.

Not sure what's in it, but essential oils are the likely culprit. Dyes very seldom produce contact dermatitis, but EO's are notorious.

Top Bottom