What's new

Trumpers Samples

Samples from the fine gentlemen at Trumpers finally arrived. Included in the package:

GFT Anniversary Cologne
Extract of West Indian Limes
Eau de Portugal
Skye
Bay Rum
Eucris
Spanish Leather
Eau de Cologne
Milk of Flowers

Initial sniffs give the nod to the GFT, Eucris and Eau de Portugal but I have worn none of them yet which will tell the tale. I really wanted to like the Spanish Leather but it smelled really soapy and was a bit of a turn off. Geez, who makes a good Spanish Leather?!? The Limes was nice but really light and probably really fleeting if the T&H Limes is any comparison. Bay Rum was interesting - almost like Captain Morgan in a sampler. I recall not being terrilby fond of the Skye or Milk of Flowers but we will see. I will update the thread as I go through them. Today I couldn't help going back to the Fern - I love this stuff.

Mike02 said:
Samples from the fine gentlemen at Trumpers finally arrived. Included in the package:

GFT Anniversary Cologne
Extract of West Indian Limes
Eau de Portugal
Skye
Bay Rum
Eucris
Spanish Leather
Eau de Cologne
Milk of Flowers

Initial sniffs give the nod to the GFT, Eucris and Eau de Portugal but I have worn none of them yet which will tell the tale. I really wanted to like the Spanish Leather but it smelled really soapy and was a bit of a turn off. Geez, who makes a good Spanish Leather?!? The Limes was nice but really light and probably really fleeting if the T&H Limes is any comparison. Bay Rum was interesting - almost like Captain Morgan in a sampler. I recall not being terrilby fond of the Skye or Milk of Flowers but we will see. I will update the thread as I go through them. Today I couldn't help going back to the Fern - I love this stuff.

Try Knize 10

No one really makes a good Spanish Leather anymore. The Trumpers is soapy, as you accurately describe, and the T&H is reformulated to smell like department store dreck, IMO. Knize is a different beast altogether - a huge reek of incense that can be nice under certain conditions, but is inappropriate under most everyday circumstances.

If you like the style and are looking for something that tends toward the sweet, John Varvatos is excellent.

In the lineup you have there, the Fern is the best one, though I prefer the Penhaligon's version. The Limes is perhaps the most fleeting scent in all of cologne-dom. It almost disappears instantaneously, regardless of how much you apply.

Ron, I think you need some sniffer calibration, buddy :wink: The WoW is hardly a straight-forward leather scent. The "green" notes are much more prominant to my huge schozzola; leather is almost an afterthought. That being said, I like WoW very much, but it smells nothing like the other "Spanish Leather's" out there.

Scotto said:
Ron, I think you need some sniffer calibration, buddy :wink: The WoW is hardly a straight-forward leather scent. The "green" notes are much more prominant to my huge schozzola; leather is almost an afterthought. That being said, I like WoW very much, but it smells nothing like the other "Spanish Leather's" out there.
Note I did not say Spanish, but then again, they claim their formula was used originally to cure spanish leather (hmmm, might tell you something about spanish leather?). I tend to findl citron more than green things (herbaceous?). There's always Cuirre de Russie.. I have a nice new bottle of T&H Spanish Leather (Not my fav though).

Creed's Cuir de Russie is great. I also really like T&H's Spanish Leather, reformulated or not.

Like Mike, Trumper's Spanish Leather is just too soapy for me. I am interested in WoW but have not been able to get my hands on any as of yet.

As for the samples, it seems they managed to completely avoid sending you any of my favourite Trumper colognes. Wild Fern, Astor, and Marlborough are probably at the top of my list.

I got spanish leather in my sampler, as well as Marlborough and you're right that one is VERY nice. My fav is still the Sandalwood though. Awesome staying power and gorgeous scent.

Two colognes in on the Trumpers samples. Tried the GFT Anniversary yesterday and Eau de Portugal today. I really liked the GFT - I found it somewhat hard to describe as it was really a nice, soft smell that just seemed to be a part of me, but too bad it was completely gone after about 4 or 5 hours. Trying the Portugal today - it was vile smelling going on but less vile in the dry down. There is something lemony in there that just does not sit right with me. Think I will pass on this one... I also requested the remaining samples that were not included (from the Traditional line) along with some Skin Food samples. Trumpers is an excellent company to deal with - fantastic customer service.

Just updating the thread here - only a couple samples left to go on the Trumpers. Have tried the Bay Rum today, Spanish Leather yesterday and Eucris several days ago. The Spanish Leather smells on me just like it does in the tube - soapy. I found this to be an annoying part of the cologne that was just with it all day and stayed the same. SWMBO somewhat liked it but she also somewhat liked the T&H version, so the actual "leather" part of the cologne is not bad, but just not the Trumpers version of it. I will try a few of the other colognes recommended for this scent instead. Her "somewhat" liking it is a "she digs it" in my book but she is just not indulging me on this pursuit... :biggrin:

The Bay Rum is on today and it is an interesting scent for sure. It was a bit strong at first and has mellowed down into a sweet, pleasant frangrance. My wife said, quote, that "it smells like a men's toiletry product." This is not a bad scent at all, I don't think this one is for me though right now.

That leaves the Eucris. All of these cologne samples are in three piles in my bathroom drawer - haven't tried yet, tried and no, tried and yes. The Eucris ended up in the "try and yes" pile, but it was hanging on the edge. When I am done with all these samples, I will go back through and retry all the positives and see how they go from there. Aside from Trumpers, Scotto sent me some Acqua di Parma, Harris Arlington and some Atkinsons. The Acqua di Parma and Arlington were very similar but I prefered the Acqua di Parma - it went into the yes pile.

Dennis

As I have mentioned on here before, AdP is one of my absolute favourites. Allow a couple of minutes to pass after application and it develops into a beautifully fresh and clean scent. Absolute classic.

Top Bottom