What's new

Trumper's Eucris Shaving Soap Troubles

Hi all,

This is my first post here, and unfortunately I seem to be in trouble with my newest soap acquisition, Trumper's Eucris. I find that the lather seems to disappear after the first pass (even in the brush), it also 'fizzes' when I wash the lather off the brush (I don't know whether that is normal but it is not so important I suppose).

This however pales when compared to the irritation it seems to cause me - every time I use it my face stings and I am left with a lobster-like complexion. I don't think my technique is to blame as I am fine with Arlington and my skin flares up even where I haven't shaved.

Has anyone got any tips? I love the scent and would really rather be able to use it...

Cheers,

Jordan

Quick answer: Use more product.

I'm not sure exactly how it compares to DR Harris, but I know Trumper's soap requires a pretty good load on the brush. If you haven't already tried it, put about a tablespoon of warm water on top of your Eucris puck and let it sit a couple minutes before loading your brush. This will help soften the soap so that the brush can pick it up more easily. Other than that, load your brush. Load it with more than you expect to need. Loading too little soap is MUCH WORSE than loading too little. And don't worry about using it up too quickly, it'll last a long, long time. Such is the nature of the triple-milled hard soaps.

Someone else may can add to this, but we need more details:
How long are you taking to load your brush?
How wet is the brush when you start loading?
Are you face-lathering?
What kind of brush are you using?
Do you have hard water at home?
What's your favorite color?
What's the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow (European)?

With all due respect, I don't think using more product is going to solve your problem, which sounds like it might be an allergic reaction to a component of the soap or the soap's scent. You could probably solve the lather stability issue with more product, but if you're allergic to the soap, it's still going to make your face burn and look red.

I find that the lather seems to disappear after the first pass (even in the brush), it also 'fizzes' when I wash the lather off the brush

Sure, it's possible that he may be allergic. However, his lather problems could be solved with more product (or less water, which I suspect isn't the problem). I've torn myself up with thin lather before. Surely Eucris lathers a little differently than DR Harris. Yeah, they're both hard soaps but surely they both have their quirks.

I qualify my defense with the fact that I'm only about six months in. I defer to those more experienced than I; namely those with nearly 700 posts. :)

Sounds to me that it's a combination of not using enough product AND being allergic to something in the soap.

I have a new puck of Trumpers Eucris and it does not lather as well as the other 4 Trumpers soaps I have. I hope to figure it out, but so far adding some unscented Real Shaving Company cream has fixed the lather. (aka making a Super Lather)

Like previous posters I suspect you are allergic to some ingredient in this soap. If you continue to have this reaction you should sell the soap on B/S/T.

I still say let your face heal a few days, make a GOOD lather and give it another shot. If the lather doesn't look right, rinse it down the sink and try again. Also, concentrate on blade angle and NO pressure techniques. If you like the scent, don't give up on it until you're sure it's an allergic reaction.

Apparently this is a common and known problem with this soap. The Eucris formulation is different to the other Trumpers soaps.

I don't really get on with their soaps anyway, so I'm giving this one a miss. A shame, as the scent is awesome.

John

Thanks for the replies everyone, my face on its way to recovery now so if all is back to normal in the morning i'll try again.

I'm loading for almost two minutes with a Simpsons X1 in Best that has been squeezed gently and then given a few shakes. I've found that I have to add quite a lot of water to get any real volume of lather, even while following jim's lathering method. The water in London is very hard so that will probably have something to do with it.

I have the soap and find it to be fine but not as good as my others. I can tell its a different formula and not in a good way. I get good results with it but I also over lather it. The scent is the only reason I still have it.

Gentlemen,

I have quite a few of the GFT soaps including the Eucris and find that they are all excellent performers. As others have stated, if you have an allergic reaction to the ingredients there is not much you can do but move on to another product. I hope for your sake that is not the case because I find the scent of Eucris to be outstanding and have gotten many compliments as I use the EDT as well. I have not had the lathering problem that others have, but I have noticed that too much water will cause it to bubble more than I like. I use mostly fine badger brushes with it but I am going to try a boar next time just for the purpose of comparison. Good luck!

Best regards,

Doug

Top Bottom