What's new

Truffle Oil?

shavefan

I’m not a fan
So I havent used truffle oil in many years, and frankly when I did, I didn't know too much about it. I've been doing some research and it seems that a lot of Truffle Oil is basically a base oil (like EVOO) and synthetic truffle flavoring?

Anyway, looking for recommendations for a good quality/tasting TO from those that are in the know...Thanks in advance!

well, I know nothing, however I'm going to keep an eye on this thread in case someone knowledgeable does reply. I want to know too.

I agree that this is an excellent question! Thanks for submitting it. What I do not know about truffles would fill volumes. Unfortunately, like virtually everything else to eat that is expensive, I seem to like truffles, both black and white. I look forward to learning more.

I do not remember having much luck with black truffle oils in the past. Although I cannot say that I did much of a trial. I was actually just given a bottle of black truffle hot sauce, that seems pretty darn good, say on eggs. I am really liking various cheeses--I suppose they are all goudas--with bits of black truffle in them. I assume they have the real thing.

I am far from an expert but I have purchased it in the past(!) From my experience, it boils down to 'you get what you pay for'. I have brought some so-called bargain oil which must have not been anywhere near a truffle in its life. The best commercial brand I have found is French, L'Olivier and they have an on-line store. Otherwise, look for organic shops or artisanal products, and always read the label. In L'Oliver's case it says 1% natural truffles and 1% truffle extract.

I have normally found that truffle butter is much better than truffle oil. Depending upon the price of a black truffle in your part of the world, you could make your own truffle butter, portion it and pop it into the freezer.

As I've understood it there's no such thing as real truffle oil, since the truffle aroma is water based and won't blend with oil but rots in oil within days. Truffle cost about $4000 per kilogram, which also is a good indicator of if a product contains real truffle or not.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
As I've understood it there's no such thing as real truffle oil, since the truffle aroma is water based and won't blend with oil but rots in oil within days. Truffle cost about $4000 per kilogram, which also is a good indicator of if a product contains real truffle or not.

That's what I'm finding too, that there may not be such a thing as 'real' truffle oil. The more I read up on it it seems that truffles are very short lived once harvested.

A real truffle is the winner, but price and availability counts against most of us... I did read that the Chinese had found a way to farm them on a commercial scale, but the quality compared to French or Italian 'natural' ones wasn't as good: I cannot vouch for that as I am not aware that I have tried one. A halfway expensive bottle of oil applied to egg or mushroom dishes, or a humble mashed spud, will have to suffice for me.

I have one of these Truffle salts from Williams Sonoma. I don’t know how much is real truffle vs truffle flavoring. It does the trick for me- I just substitute for some or all of the salt in a recipe and I end up with wonderful truffle flavor.

@Macfrommichigan was spot on with the mushroom risotto suggestion. Really anything that involves mushrooms or butter. Or cream.
Or pancetta.
Or asparagus.
Or any sort of “stinky cheese.”
Or really anything earthy.
Or anything that needs an earthy addition...

Let’s just say it’s usually a good thing.

Truffle & Salt

Top Bottom