What's new

Truefitt & Hill vs. Taylor's Rose Cream - a face off

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Between the two Taylor's has the better ingredients list, since contains no parabens. I'm really tempted to buy a tub now! And another cream I have my eyes on is the new Simpsons Vanilla & Rose, which has true Rosa Centifolia Flower Extract and is boosted with both glycerin and shea butter. :thumbup1:

I'll have to wait until I'm finished with my cream longevity contest (I'm in the middle of that run), but I found the unscented Simpson's cream to be excellent. I can't wait to try this new cream.

Appart of the fragrance, an YMMV aspect, I can distinguish them. All the ToOBS creams I tried gave me unpleasant irritations. From that standpoint, rose was the worst among them. I have to say I scarcely had problems of allergy with shaving products. Only ToOBS and Arlington shaving creams.

Have a good shave.

Phil

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I'll have to wait until I'm finished with my cream longevity contest (I'm in the middle of that run), but I found the unscented Simpson's cream to be excellent. I can't wait to try this new cream.

John's superb write-up "inspired" me in wanting to purchase a great quality Rose cream. At the moment I have my eyes on both Taylor's Rose and Simpsons new Vanilla & Rose. I will certainly pull the trigger on one of these two. I already know Simpsons quality since had the Unscented cream time ago, while my knowledge of Taylor's is limited to their pre-reformulation creams.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
I prefer T&H creams over ToBs. T&H doesn't dry your skin, like ToBs, IMO. Richer lather, better smell, better face feel, more glide. Just my 2 cents.

Hmmmmmm. TOBS has a ton of different creams. Did you try the rose specifically or make the drying comment based on another variety? I clearly do not have a favorite and am enjoying the T&H immensely, and I knew and admitted that others would have preferences, that's the YMMV thing.

And clearly you can believe that T&H is more moisturizing, has a better post-shave skin feel than the TOBS. I don't, but that's the YMMV thing at work. But between them you may feel some relative differences in the moisturizing department.

However, and I am going to state this not as a YMMV thing, saying that TOBS rose cream will dry out your skin is about as close to a factually incorrect statement as one can get to around here, IMNSHO. Differences, yes. But it's statements like that which caused me to write up this comparison. There will be relative differences in the minds of many, to be sure. But TOBS rose cream is simply not going to dry anyone's face out. I'm not trying to be provocative, and I do respect your preference. But frankly there is no way I can think of anyone would accuse TOBS rose of being drying, that's the kind of marked difference I keep reading about here, and frankly, I just have to reject that as part of the hyperbole I was trying to dispel.

I have to apologize for being so blunt, but there is no way to dance around this. Look at the ingredients list. Until you get to the unpronounceables they are nearly identical. The first 6 ingredients are identical and in the same order.

This ...

Musk said:
Richer lather, better smell, better face feel, more glide.

is inarguably YMMV. It is my considered opinion that accusing TOBS rose cream of being drying, however, is spreading disinformation. Sorry about that.

John's superb write-up "inspired" me in wanting to purchase a great quality Rose cream. At the moment I have my eyes on both Taylor's Rose and Simpsons new Vanilla & Rose. I will certainly pull the trigger on one of these two. I already know Simpsons quality since had the Unscented cream time ago, while my knowledge of Taylor's is limited to their pre-reformulation creams.

Simpson's Unscented cream was the best cream that I've used, with the exception of Musgo Real. I can only imagine how great the scented versions are.

Excellent thread and a joy to read throughout.
There is a big difference between I just had my first shave with X and its in a class of its own, and I seriously compared X and Y, over a duration and here is what I see.

Good job, this thread should be a sticky demonstrating how to write a comparative review and staying on point.

Excellent thread and a joy to read throughout.
There is a big difference between I just had my first shave with X and its in a class of its own, and I seriously compared X and Y, over a duration and here is what I see.

Good job, this thread should be a sticky demonstrating how to write a comparative review and staying on point.
Agreed

Top Bottom