What's new

Truefitt & Hill Luxury Shaving Soap opinions.

Good evening gentlemen. I've been wet shaving about a couple of weeks now. I have been using that canned goo instead of a proper soap or cream. Well my soap is on it's way to me as I type and I was wanting to hear some of your opinions on it. I really haven't found a lot of info as some other soaps. Truefitt & Hill Luxury Shaving Soap in Wooden Bowl. I would like to hear your opinions like I said, so I know what I got myself into. Thanks in advance.

I own the T&H 1805 soap and the scent is as great as the cream, but the soap's ability to produce a stable lather is no where near as good.

I used my my puck last weekend and soaked it in the Ikea tin for about 10 minutes. I then lathered it for over one minute in order to build a decent face leather. I was able to get a fine shave from the soap, however it really was much more work than what should be required of a top tier product.

Rumor has it that the outsourced manufacturer is reformulating once again, I hear good things about other English hard soaps that had been justifiably reviled - hopefully T&H follows suit.

p.s. Love your profile picture!

Thanks for the input. I had read a good bit on the English hard soaps and that's why I went that route for my first soap. I hadn't read a whole lot on T&H though. Just a handful of reviews. My soap will be here Wednesday, so I'll put on here what I think about it later this week.

P.S. You have a great picture as well!

Hee hee.... I thought you were answering yourself there for a second :001_tongu. I had to read a little closer. I have not ever tried the T&H shave soap, but have been thinking about getting a bowl sometime as well..... so I have been watching this thread to see the responses.

Ben

I was disappointed in T&H performance. I gave up using it due to irritation. gear was ball tech and crystals.

cheers the soap is better for you.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I have not tried their soap, but their Ultimate Comfort cream is one of my favorites. Very easy to lather and a wonderful face feel during and after.

My opinion of T&H Lux? It reminds me of Williams Mug Soap. The color, scent, and performance seem identical to me.

They dress it up in a wooden bowl and a fancy cardboard box and label for $40 more. Its like putting lipstick on a pig.

That's not to say I don't like it. Its a fine soap from a reputable company. I just think its far over-priced for what it is.

I tried their soap twice, the Luxury one that comes in the wooden bowl. Both times I couldn't get it to lather well. The scent was nice though.

Ok, I got my stuff in today. I let my B&B Sue brush soak while I took shower. Got out and went straight to lathering. It definitely has a wonderful smell, slightly lemony. I was able to get a decent lather. Not that thick but, I can't say atm if it was the soap or the fact that it was my first time with anything not in a can. The most comfortable shave to date hands down. Then I used the Ultimate Comfort as, which is head and shoulders above any I've used before. My razor and blade setup was a '59 FB with a Gillette Stainless blade.

I'm going to post again this weekend and again about a week later to see if the lathering or my opinions change.

About a month ago I started using a puck of T&H Sandalwood that I bought on closeout at Nordstom's a few years ago.
It's a great tallow-based soap, slick, thick, with a and wonderful aroma, truly a "luxury" soap.
I wish I'd started using it sooner.
I started to research before ordering another, and I notice that on their website they refer to the soap as "New", so it's likely they have re-formulated it, and this "new" version is producing the less-than-stellar results you all are describing, which would be a shame.
Can anyone else with experience with this soap add to this discussion?

I've not used T&H hard soaps, but their creams are top-notch.
Their Limes is one of my favorites.

$lime apr 14 2013-D8C_7908e.jpg

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I have the Truefitt & Hill "Luxury" soap refill from about 2007-8. I can't remember but I don't recall it having tallow (box is long gone) but at any rate it provided me with many good shaves -- I had no problems whatsoever with the lather. I will pull out my remaining puck and review this soap again sometime next month when I'm through with Marlboroughvember.

About a month ago I started using a puck of T&H Sandalwood that I bought on closeout at Nordstom's a few years ago.
It's a great tallow-based soap, slick, thick, with a and wonderful aroma, truly a "luxury" soap.
I wish I'd started using it sooner.
I started to research before ordering another, and I notice that on their website they refer to the soap as "New", so it's likely they have re-formulated it, and this "new" version is producing the less-than-stellar results you all are describing, which would be a shame.
Can anyone else with experience with this soap add to this discussion?

I only have a couple months wet shave experience but, dpm802 is fairly close. It does remind me of Williams (now that I've used Williams) but, not completely. Lux felt smoother and a little thicker to me but, YMMV.
My opinion of T&H Lux? It reminds me of Williams Mug Soap. The color, scent, and performance seem identical to me.

They dress it up in a wooden bowl and a fancy cardboard box and label for $40 more. Its like putting lipstick on a pig.

That's not to say I don't like it. Its a fine soap from a reputable company. I just think its far over-priced for what it is.

Last edited:
Glad to hear that you're enjoying the soap. I've been very happy with it, I get a good lather, and comfortable shaves with it. On par or a small step up from GFT. I haven't tried the new 1805 version yet, but the older luxury shave soap is a pretty sound soap.

Glad to hear that you're enjoying the soap. I've been very happy with it, I get a good lather, and comfortable shaves with it. On par or a small step up from GFT. I haven't tried the new 1805 version yet, but the older luxury shave soap is a pretty sound soap.

Oh, I'll never go back to goo in a can. That's for sure. Next I'm going to pick up some cream. Going to get some T&H and a couple others. On another note, I wouldn't run out and get Lux soap unless you just want to try it. If you find any used for sale or in a trade however, I would say try it.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
For me T&H makes wonderful creams, but disappointing soaps. Pretty much the same thoughts on Trumpers.

Top Bottom