What's new

Truefitt and Hill Soap lathering question

I've got a Truefitt and Hill Sandalwood soap I started using after years of buying their cream. Where possible, we like to cut back on the purchase of single use plastics in our home and I started to realise that I had exhausted every possible reuse of the several cream bowls I had purchased in the past. So we decided to go with the soap that comes in a wooden bowl and for which you can then just buy refills. Anyway, all this to say, please don't advise me to simply go with the cream, I'm past that :)

But the question is, with the soap and my Razorock Monster, I'm having trouble getting a lather that isn't overly watery. I started soaking the brush as I always did and straining a lot and that wasn't enough, large air bubbles and an airy consistency. Then I tried only wetting the surface of the soap. Seems to be too watery as well. Does anyone else have any other tips for how to get my synthetic brush and this hard soap to create a creamier, drier lather?

Thank you!

I have a puck of T&H Lavender soap that I bought in 2018. The soap is on the hard side and I found it worked best when used frequently. I don't use a synthetic brush on this soap because I find a brush with more backbone works better for me on hard soaps. I also find that hard soaps take longer to load so be sure you are loading the brush for a longer period of time.

One question: are you face lathering or bowl lathering?

Two things that may help. After you load your brush take your damp fingers to the puck and rub it around. Then take that soap and apply it to your face before you put your brush on your face. If you still find your lather is too runny go back to the puck and load it some more.

T&H and GFT have possibly the worst hard soaps ever made. Marvy is better. There's not much you can do unfortunately.

Some recommend washing your hands with the fresh puck to get through the hard crust, then keep blooming and using it regularly. But... it's a lipstick on a pig. You know.

DR Harris pucks are much much better.

I don't find any benefit to soaking a synthetic brush - might warm it up, but that's all imo.

I've found that with my all of my synthetic brushes it's best to load them just damp - rinse it out and give it a good few shakes.

Load from your soap puck until you have a good covering of soapy goodness. The moment I detect any stickiness I stop loading.

Take brush to wet properly prepared face and just go for it.

Should you need to, you can then add very small amounts of water, by dipping your brush in your water.

Remember - you can always add more water, but it's difficult to remove.

Good luck.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
But the question is, with the soap and my Razorock Monster, I'm having trouble getting a lather that isn't overly watery. I started soaking the brush as I always did and straining a lot and that wasn't enough, large air bubbles and an airy consistency. Then I tried only wetting the surface of the soap. Seems to be too watery as well. Does anyone else have any other tips for how to get my synthetic brush and this hard soap to create a creamier, drier lather?

I have the T&H 1805 Luxury soap. It is incredibly hard. It's harder than my PdP 63 and its quad milled. I use a synthetic brush too and its the most difficult to load soap I own. I'd suggest taking it out of the wooden bowl and letting it soak a....while. It will soften up a bit.

Synthetic brushes dont absorb water but they do hold a lot of water between the bristles. Only dip the tips enough to let it glide over the puck as you're loading. Load it heavy then dip just the tips and slowly add more water in until its where you like it.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
T&H and GFT have possibly the worst hard soaps ever made. Marvy is better. There's not much you can do unfortunately.

No matter what I did with my 1805 I couldnt get a lather I liked. It wasnt an issue with loading or water but I found the same as you, its just lacking something. I've read many times the T&H creams are great but the soaps...not so much. Its a shame too, 1805 smells fantastic.

No matter what I did with my 1805 I couldnt get a lather I liked. It wasnt an issue with loading or water but I found the same as you, its just lacking something. I've read many times the T&H creams are great but the soaps...not so much. Its a shame too, 1805 smells fantastic.

They got reformulated and different OEM company makes them, far from what they used to be. They are basically hand soap. First ingredient Sodium Palmate.

If you like the 1805 scent just get the EdT they copied. https://www.fragrantica.com/perfume/Issey-Miyake/L-Eau-d-Issey-Pour-Homme-721.html

I have this soap. It is a hard puck indeed.

Best use a synthetic brush imho. They really can pull the soap up.

Try this:

• Wet brush
  • Shake out well. Barely damp
  • Put a few drops of water on puck
  • Go in circles on the puck. Do not mash the brush and keep it smooth and consistent. Any Agitation will promote lather
  • A few more drops of water and repeat going the other rotation
  • Repeat for a minute.
This should get you loaded. A soaking brush and energetic loading will just kick off the lather process and stop the loading.

Best of luck

T&H hard soaps are nice, abeit not as slick as some tallowy others.
Nevertheless, I've not had a bad shave with any of them.
Suggest, load heavily and then add water liberally after loading.
Just my personal experience!!

truefitt hill 1805 september 30 2016.jpg
truefitt hill luxury joris plisson penhaligons racquets april 30 2015.jpg

I'm thinking of getting a DR Harris Sandalwood. Does anyone happen to know, maybe you have both, if the DR Harris pucks will fit in the Truefitt wooden bowls?

I’ve had the same issues with my 1805 hard refill puck. I tried using it for a couple weeks straight but no luck.

I guess I am the odd man out. I don't have a problem with T&H soap. I just have to load it a bit longer, use it more often, and take the soap on the puck and rub it on my face.

I have this soap. It is a hard puck indeed.

Best use a synthetic brush imho. They really can pull the soap up.

Try this:

• Wet brush
  • Shake out well. Barely damp
  • Put a few drops of water on puck
  • Go in circles on the puck. Do not mash the brush and keep it smooth and consistent. Any Agitation will promote lather
  • A few more drops of water and repeat going the other rotation
  • Repeat for a minute.
This should get you loaded. A soaking brush and energetic loading will just kick off the lather process and stop the loading.

Best of luck

FTR, i pulled out my bowl this morning and using my Badger brush and the above technique was able to heavily load the brush.

GFT and T&H are both made by Soapworks in the latest terrible formulation. That manufacturer never made shaving soap before. You could say they still haven't.

Last edited:

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Ok, but is it similar? As long as it fits, it doesn't have to be perfect. Even the Truefitt puck doesn't quite fit well in its bowl and constantly spins.

You can make any soap fit any tub with one of these.
61LWEepzjVL._SX425_.jpg

I just put the trimmings under the puck. Works great!

Top Bottom