What's new

Truefitt and Hill Lavender Scent

Does anyone know of any colognes that smell very much like Truefitt and Hill Lavender shaving cream?

Here's some background:

I got a sample of T&H Lavender a couple months ago and, being that it was such a convenient size, I took it on my honeymoon. We stayed at this old bed and breakfast that had (along with the rest of the place) an early 20th century styled bathroom (you know - pedestal sink, shower curtain that "wrapped around" the tub, etc.). As you can imagine, these digs pair with traditional DE shaving nicely.

All this, combined with the excitement of having the first of many morning coffees and "getting ready" rituals with my new wife made me quite fond of that lavender SC I was associating with it...that, and the cream smells AWESOME.

So, after we got home I immediately ordered a tub. I was dismayed to find that T&H doesn't make a lavender cologne or even a lavender after shave.

Summary: I really love the smell. I describe it as a 1930s lavender scent with "extras" (as opposed to a more pure lavender like TOBS or Castle Forbes).

Can anyone suggest a cologne that is a close match?

ps -- Thank you to all of those who made it through my nostalgic ramblings. I knew I would do that...that's why I posed the question at the beginning. :biggrin:

I've been on the lookout for a nice lavender myself, so I'll give you a breakdown of what I have.

Guerlain's Mouchoir de Monsieur or Jicky might be what you're looking for, though they are pricey.

Caron Pour Homme is a powdery lavender vanilla and is cheap/easily available (~$30 from Amazon, for instance).

Azzaro Pure Lavender is also an easy find at TJ Maxx/Marshalls, but is a pretty straightforward fragrance; no extras.

The lavender fragrance produced by the Caldey Island monks has been described as a very classic scent, but, is also a single note affair.

Creed's Royal Scottish Lavender is soapy and spicey, in addition to the floral, so that may be worth trying, as well.

I haven't had a chance to sample Czech & Speake's Oxford and Cambridge, but it also seems promising.

That's all I have had the chance to research thus far, but I'm sure there are others with far more advice than I have. :biggrin:

I'm not sure how it compares to the others, but I like Penhaligons Lavandula quite a bit. Penhaligons is also good about samples if you email them (and they've got a bunch of terrific fragrances).

I've been interested in Creed's Royal Scottish Lavender and Penhaligan's Lavandula for a while. I think I'll have to check those out.

I read somewhere last night that Yardley's Lavender was a close match, as well as a pretty classic fragrance in its own right. Anyone have any experience with it?

Thanks for the replies and suggestions; keep 'em coming!

I'll put in a plug for Czech & Speake's version. They've somehow made Lavender 'manly' (if that's possible). Many say it smells more 'medicinal' than traditional Lavender and I actually get notes of sandalwood and tobacco out of it! Nice stuff but by no means cheap.

I'll put in a plug for Czech & Speake's version. They've somehow made Lavender 'manly' (if that's possible). Many say it smells more 'medicinal' than traditional Lavender and I actually get notes of sandalwood and tobacco out of it! Nice stuff but by no means cheap.

There's no such thing as cheap C&S.

Top Bottom