What's new

True wedge makers?

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
@John_Doe have you asked Steve to hone your true wedge to shave ready without using tape? If not, he may hone it with tape (or freehand).

Personally, if it was me, I would ask Steve to hone it to shave-ready without tape and keeping the spine on the whetstone at all time. When I receive the SR, I would maintain it on diamond pasted balsa strops (or finishing whetstone(s) if that is your thing), again with the spine always in contact with the balsa surface (no freehanding).

I don't think I have ever seen a true wedge

Honing one with out lifting the spine-either with tape or free hand would be immensely difficult.

Imagine setting a bevel on one that had the smallest of chips, it would take forever to wear down the whole face to remove the chip.

I don't think I have ever seen a true wedge

Honing one with out lifting the spine-either with tape or free hand would be immensely difficult.

Imagine setting a bevel on one that had the smallest of chips, it would take forever to wear down the whole face to remove the chip.
That would be the most unfortunate of all chips…

To me there are two advantages of having a at least some sort of hollow grind:
  1. The best shaving angle is if you can shave with the blad flat on your face. A high angle greatly increases the risk of cutting yourself. A true wedge razor would stick to your wet and lather covered face unless you use it with an angle.
  2. The second advantage of a hollow blade is that you can hone it with it laying flat on the honing stones.

I would ask Steve (the man making the razor) for recommendations about how to hone the razor. I would also ask him if after use you determine that a true wedge is more wedge than you want can he regrind the razor down to a near wedge.

If yes, then the risk of buying the true wedge is minimal, and should make for a great adventure that you can tell us all about :).

Top Bottom