What's new

True pocket carry.

The Brothers in the 'hood been killin' each other with 'em for decades. I've seen it.

Yes, and for thousands of years we killed each other will bows, arrows & spears. However, I don't recommend those for a CCW today.

The problem with "mouse guns" as a primary CCW is that people carry them for convenience and not due to any profound belief that they are the best choice. Therein lies the problem. The typical "mouse gun" carrier retorts that "Well, any gun is better than no gun!". Yes, but that's not the point. Obviously, the person feels something warrants the carrying of a handgun as they are doing as such. That is of course unless they reply "Well, the odds of me being in a gunfight are infinite!!". Granted the odds are long, but if they really believed that then they wouldn't even carry a gun in the first place, right?

Yes, many people have died from .22, .25, .32 & .380 rds. However, that is usually hours it not days later and after they have riddled the person who shot them. We are trying to STOP bad people and not merely kill them. Decades of statistics show that one is far better served with a service grade caliber weapon utilizing modern defensive JHP rounds and even then all bets are off. Unless of course you're Robin Hood with a longbow. 😉

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
[QUOTE="Bogeyman, post: 10456194, member: 124006"

The problem with "mouse guns" as a primary CCW is that people carry them for convenience and not due to any profound belief that they are the best choice. .....
Yes, many people have died from .22, .25, .32 & .380 rds. However, that is usually hours it not days later and after they have riddled the person who shot them. We are trying to STOP bad people and not merely kill them. Decades of statistics show that one is far better served with a service grade caliber weapon utilizing modern defensive JHP rounds and even then all bets are off. Unless of course you're Robin Hood with a longbow. 😉
[/QUOTE]

Exactly. We carry for worst case scenarios, not best case scenarios. While the odds may be low that we may be involved in a violent conflict, once the flag goes up, the odds are a 100% that we need the best tool for the job to defend our lives, and even then there are no guarantees of success.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
I think that .380 with modern SD projectiles is a little above the 'mouse gun' threshold. Not most desirable but definitely not in the same class as a .32 or .25

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
So I finally got around to replacing the recoil and striker springs in my FN 1906 Vest Pocket that was made back in 1912 or 1913. For the last year or so I would find one or two coils of each breaking off sometimes when I did a cleaning. The gun continued to function perfectly so I figured it was much like my old XKE, find the piece that jess fell off overnight and put them in the boot. Never seemed to effect performance but kept them so I could try to find a replacement someday.
Then, about a month or so ago I finally started getting light strikes; not a lot but enough to know it was time to get replacements.

When I went to replace the striker spring I was amazed to find the new one was almost twice as long as what was left of the old one. That it functioned at all with the little stub that was left was a real indication of how well designed was this over a century old pistol. Off to the range and ran a full box of ammo through it, the same brand and batch as where I was getting light strikes and it was absolutely perfect.

So am I confident enough in the little jewel now to consider it a primary carry? Absolutely. Remember, the GCA of 1968 did not ban the "Saturday Night Specials" because they were ineffective or dangerous or unreliable; they were banned because they were small, reliable, easily concealed and very effective.

proxy.php

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
So I finally got around to replacing the recoil and striker springs in my FN 1906 Vest Pocket that was made back in 1912 or 1913. For the last year or so I would find one or two coils of each breaking off sometimes when I did a cleaning. The gun continued to function perfectly so I figured it was much like my old XKE, find the piece that jess fell off overnight and put them in the boot. Never seemed to effect performance but kept them so I could try to find a replacement someday.
Then, about a month or so ago I finally started getting light strikes; not a lot but enough to know it was time to get replacements.

When I went to replace the striker spring I was amazed to find the new one was almost twice as long as what was left of the old one. That it functioned at all with the little stub that was left was a real indication of how well designed was this over a century old pistol. Off to the range and ran a full box of ammo through it, the same brand and batch as where I was getting light strikes and it was absolutely perfect.

So am I confident enough in the little jewel now to consider it a primary carry? Absolutely. Remember, the GCA of 1968 did not ban the "Saturday Night Specials" because they were ineffective or dangerous or unreliable; they were banned because they were small, reliable, easily concealed and very effective.

proxy.php
Beautiful.

Seasonal carry. In winter I typically wear a base layer, wool shirt, wool vest and a down parka (Yeah, I'm not a cold weather person). R/S is my strong side thus trying to get to my daily Right hip 4 O'clock would be an issue. Thus I simply put a pocket gun in my parka pocket. In summer wearing a pair of lounge shorts walking Diablo, or a late night trip to the store I do the same just put it in my pocket and carry on. NAA .380 Guardian. Normal carry load...Underwood 65 Grain Xtreme Defender.
DSCI0426.JPG
DSCI0427.JPG

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Nice looking leather holster for your Guardian. My pocket carry holster history began quite a few years back with a pair of .32 Kel-Tecs. One for my ballistic vest at work and one for the little lady at home, who I constantly had to engage to get her to keep it out of her purse and on her person. Had those about 8 years and traded them in for a couple of new Guardians.

Those little guns are heavy! The wife would not carry it in her pocket! Sold those and got a pair of Ruger LCP's. We carried those for several years until I saw @Acmemfg's pics when he first picked up his Ruger LCP II and I thought, "I really like that!" :) Sold the pair of first Gen LCP's and Bought my wife one of the Ruger LCP II's. It handled so much better and just seemed more solid and controllable over the first Gen Ruger.

I even picked up a Glock 43 for the wife which she really likes, but she still prefers her Ruger LCP II most of the time. I don't really carry a pocket gun most of the time if I can help it. If it's just to the store or back, or somewhere really casual, it's just so easy to slip the G43X into a small soft Uncle Mike's and into my waist band. That holster is so small and soft and thin, It's sorta like being able to Mexican Carry a Glock but still have it loaded with the trigger covered.

I still may get my own LCP II one day, because it's just so light, but solid it's just a neat little gun to have. My wife get's tired of having to go get her Ruger out of the pocket of my robe in the bathroom whenever she wants her pistol. :)

Last edited:
it's just so easy to slip the G43X into a small soft Uncle Mike's and into my waist band. That holster is so small and soft and thin, It's sorta like being able to Mexican Carry a Glock but still have it loaded with the trigger covered.

What Uncle Mike's holster are we talking about, specifically?

Sent from my LG-LS998 using Tapatalk

I pocket carried a Beretta Bobcat for years without a holster on a trap line. I finally got a small pocket holster for it just to keep it oriented correctly. Very safe uncocked with the safety on in my opinion. If I carried it in a coat pocket, I would even pop the barrel.

This is for trap line carrying mind you. My LCP II is in a nice kydex pocket holster from Alabama Holsters. I love it

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
These days it seems Mexican carry is an AK or AR or even the H&K UMP or the CZ Bren in 7.62x39.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I have & often do “comfortably” pocket-carry the heaters pictured below, usually while walking the dogs &/or walking over to the grocery store ... 9 times out of 10, they’re in cargo pants/shorts except for the the HK, which gets tossed into a ranch coat pocket.

Though the 9x18 P-64’s 1st-round double-action has been somewhat tamed via Wolff springs, it is still stout enough to “comfortably” carry, safety off, with Hornady Critical Defense in the pipe & mag.

Despite the fact that Remington’s DAO .380 Rohrbaugh clone also has lighter (Galloway) springs, I have no qualms with carrying it chambered, though usually with a flush fit mag.

For years & years, my Nano illegally pocketed this H&R while late-night walking a series of German Shepherds up & down Chicago alleys ... when I’m feeling especially sentimental, I’ll slip the .32 S&W, hammer over a round, into a cargo pocket, comfortable not only with revolver’s stout DA, but also with the fact that I’m walking a German Shepherd, too. :)

The NAA .22 Mag ... a constant companion while working overnight industry jobs with the railroad. With it’s clip holster grip & hammer safely nestled between rounds, this SAO micro wheel gun is not only safe, but also quite undetectable to train & yard masters.

In my hands, the P7M8 is the most accurate, the fastest & without a doubt, the safest production pistol ever made. I have zero concerns when carrying (pocketed or holstered) this 9mm. In fact, the only safer firearms I own are those locked up in a safe. The P7s are also the only striker-fired pistol I’ll carry, sans a holster.
I’ve always wanted a P7

Top Bottom