What's new

True Hard versus Black/Trans

So it’s pretty well worn territory that the practical difference between Black arks and Translucent arks is negligible.
But how do True Hard stack up to their Darker and Translucent cousins?
Good for finishing? Different edge at all? Unique feedback?

All I know is that at Dan’s the TH isn’t available in the 3 inch wide size.

I'm pretty sure I've seen folks post Dan's True hards that were a mix of translucent and black material. I think True hard is just where they bin stones that aren't uniform enough to be sold as one or the other; but that's just based on what I've seen.

I think sliceoflife is right, and thats what dan’s might even be saying or alludes to in their copy.

i cant comment on that true hard version, i only have their hard, translucent and black and not nearly enough exposure to comment well.

Welcome to Arkansas Stone Grades 101
Natural Arkansas Whetstones are available in various grades and classifications. Users should be aware that color is not the determining factor in grading novaculite. Some users have been defining whetstone grades by color, but the same colors may be seen in more than one grade and classification. Different grades of novaculite also have a noticeable difference in texture. The softer the stone, the coarser the surface of the stone feels; harder stones, such as the True Hard and Translucent, have a smoother glassy feel.

How to Choose an Arkansas Stone Grade to Suit Your Needs

Soft Arkansas (Medium) is the most popular of the grades of novaculite. It is an all-purpose stone used by woodcarvers, sportsmen, butchers, commercial knife sharpeners and even housewives. This stone is used by people who desire keen, sharp edge on their knives and tools in a minimum amount of time. Soft Arkansas stones may be white, gray and black, or pink and gray in color.

Hard Arkansas (Fine) is most suitable for fine polishing and the maintenance of a fine edge on knives or tools. Hard Arkansas is often referred to as “White Hard.” However, users should be aware that Hard Arkansas often has color variations also. To our knowledge, this color does not interfere with the honing process by any means. Hard Arkansas stones are popular among woodcrafters and a variety of industries including the dental industry.

True Hard Arkansas (Extra Fine) is the finest grade abrasive available today. It is most commonly used for industrial applications where an extremely fine polish is required. True Hard Arkansas stones are often referred to as Multi-Colored Translucent; colors, both opaque and translucent, are random and may include black, red, white, and gray–often within the same stone.

Translucent Arkansas (Extra Fine) stones are classifications included in the True Hard Arkansas grade category according to specific gravity under density standards. The reason there is a classification in this grade is because of color preferences by customers. Translucent stones may be a uniform, translucent shade of gray, white, yellow, brownand sometimes even pink.

Black Arkansas (Ultra Fine) Black Arkansas stones are black or blue-black in color. This crypto-crystaline novaculite structure is the most dense and therefore has the properties to achieve the finest polished edge possible.

duke762

Rose to the occasion
I don't have a true hard but have always wanted to try one. Just for my own information. I think Dan was pretty clever to come up with that term to sell hard won material.

I have a vintage pink Norton hard and it's translucent also. If Dan came across it, it would most likely be sold as a True Hard. It's neither black or true translucent but works on par with any black or trans I have. I think Dan referred to the true hard as a colored translucent at one time.

Makes me wonder if there may be some sleepers in this category.

My True Hard, Translucent and Black Arks all produce about the same edge. I can't tell what stone the razor was honed on by the shave. I sometimes think my Blue Black Ark produces a better edge. The key word is sometimes. My True Hard is my most beautiful stone.
True Hard Ark.JPG

I honestly can’t find much, if any, difference between the finishes I get off my Translucent and Surgical Black arks. I find both up the keenness off another stone well. But the edges are still smooth enough that they’ll glide through my stubble comfortably. I once took my Japanese frameback off the Shapton 30k and onto my ark. A fantastically sharp, smooth edge.

I like the true hards. I find them, as said, sort of a cross between translucent and black hard, with the black and white areas seemingly in a translucent matrix. And yes, they can be quite striking visually.

Here's one I have.

Arkansas-12-17-13.jpg

Top Bottom