What's new

Trouble w/ Fatboy - Help Needed

So, I finally got a GILLETTE FATBOY. It was really nasty so I cleaned it up the best I could.

Two issues:

1 : Adjustment collar is locked up.

2 : The bottom of the handle can be moved up and down when it is twisted to the open position. Pictured below-

IMG_20190607_080318.jpg

Are these two issues related??

I sent it to someone local with a ultrasonic cleaner to try and get the internals cleaned up and hopefully free the collar. He said the collar still wouldn't move so he was going to soak it in Kroil and clean it again.

So, is this a good course of action or is the collar locked up because the bottom of the handle needs to be tightened back up? How would I do that anyway?
A Slim is my 'go to' DE razor, but I've never worked on an adjustable razor before. Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks guys.

- if that razor was purchased as working, return for refund!
- if that razor was given away free, send to CAP for repair and tunning!

Probably unrelated. The dropped knob is an easy enough fix. The stuck adjuster is very likely just gunked up. Start with a good long soak in hot soapy water. I'll find you a link for the dropped knob.

There are a few different ways of doing it. the only thing I use is a small piece of 12awg solid wire, a piece of masking tape and a pair of pliers. I'd work on the adjuster first. The dropped knob won't affect the function of the razor.

Probably not over clocked if it's all the way up to 9. I 'd start by soaking in hot soapy water, may take a couple of days.

Probably not over clocked if it's all the way up to 9. I 'd start by soaking in hot soapy water, may take a couple of days.
The guy I sent it to used his ultrasonic cleaner and now has it soaking in Kroil penetrating oil for a couple of days before it goes back in the ultrasonic cleaner. That should be even better than soap and water.

I try to stay away from oils. They can collect dust and gum things up again. If I use anything other that Soap and water, it's lighter fluid. I wouldn't soak it though, just a few drops down the shaft.

I try to stay away from oils. They can collect dust and gum things up again. If I use anything other that Soap and water, it's lighter fluid. I wouldn't soak it though, just a few drops down the shaft.
He said the Ultrasonic cleaner would remove all the Kroil oil so hopefully it won't be an issue. We will see how it goes.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I bought a Fatboy a little while ago with a stuck adjuster and it took me probably 8 to 10 baths in hot soapy water to get the adjuster working. When it finally started working it would only adjust one setting at a time. It came good but it took time and patience and sadly I lack in that department.

Top Bottom