What's new

Triple-Milled Brush Loading Problem (C&E Sienna)

I've been trying to crack this nut for the past two weeks, but just can't figure it out.

Like many soap users I'm a face-latherer, and with all of my soaps I can generally load the brush with much more than enough soap for six passes. My Col. Conks all do this flawlessly, as well as my Muhle-Pinsel soaps (Haslinger.) However, I was recently gifted a C&E Sienna and for some reason i just cannot get it to load the brush properly. I get enough for two passes, and then I have to reload the brush. I've tried soaking the soap and not soaking. I've tried shaking more and less water out of my brush. I've tried swirling in both directions (I do this normally anyway.) But, still no success. Has anyone run into this particular problem with C&E or other triple-milled soaps? How did you resolve it?

Cheers

Well, in a way that makes me feel better. I thought it was just me! Is this true with C&E soaps in general, or did you mean specifically the Sienna?

The C&E soaps do not perform as well as their creams. I could not even use them in the shower. Good luck.

I've used this soap and the Nomad scent in the past and did not have this problem. I lathered it in a mug though.

I've used Sienna soap for face lathering with no problems.

I normally do a two-pass shave (and touch-up if needed) and have plenty of soap left over.

The brushes I've used that work well are: Tweezerman boar's hair, Rooney 3/3 pure badger, Merkur/Dovo travel brush, and a C&E Best Badger.

I find soaps more difficult with my Shavemac.

Trying a different brush might give you different results.

I have this soap, and love it. Though I have not tried face lathering with it, I do lather it in a mug, and there it gives me masses of lather.

I'll second or third the view that the C&E soaps are sub-par when compared to Tabac, T&H, Trumper - or just about any other hard soap I've used.

I've been using the Sandalwood all week, and have gotten lather enough for 3 passes every day except the first. One day I actually got enough for 4, but it's hard work.

A soaked brush VERY shaken out, and liberal sprinkling of the soap prior to showering did the trick, but I may have developed carpal tunnel syndrome this week!

Perhaps try sprinkling the soap with hot water and then rubbing the water in. That may soften the soap and let you load more onto the brush.

Cheers

Jeremy

Thanks for the ideas. I like the scent enough that I'm not yet ready to simply give up on it. I'll be trying all of your ideas in due time.

Cheers

Definitely moisten the soap before using. I kind of think of that as a given for soaps so didn't mention it.

I put maybe a teaspoon or so of hot water on top of the soap and let it soak while I prep.

The C&E soaps do not perform as well as their creams. I could not even use them in the shower. Good luck.
What he said. I couldn't even get mine to lather well enough to use as a hand soap.
:mad3:

The good news is that the Sienna wooden bowl was a perfect fit for a L'Occitane Cade soap refill.

I bought a cake of Seinna in January when it was on sale and just put it in my regular rotation about 3 weeks ago. I have been quite pleased with it so far. I echo the others in this thread that I lather in a mug. I don't seem to run out of lather for 3 passes + touch-up. I usually start with the brush a little wet, swirl on the soap until the brush doesn't look like any more soap will come off the puck. Then, I dip the brush tips in hot water anf swirl some more. Funny, I always thought it was my border-line floppy EJ super badger brush that causeed me to have to work that hard...

I use Sienna with a VUlfix boar brush, lather in a bowl and seem to have enough for 4 passes. If its a little weak, I drop in a bit of KMF unscented to bolster the lather..

Barry

I have found that when I put about a tablespoon of water on the soap and then let it sit for almost 10 minutes, I am able to build great lather. Before I let the water sit on the soap for around 5 minutes.

I was using Nomad as a shave soap and I had a real hard time getting a real good lather. So I mostly use creams now and they lather much better. I did use the puck in the shower and had trouble making lather with a lufa. It did leave my skin feeling real nice and hydrated. So no good to shave for me but good in the shower. Ps I also have hard water which probably adds to the problem.

Top Bottom